It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

major explosion reported at fertilizer plant near Waco, TX

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sorry to the OP for the off-topic post, but I read something which should to be corrected:

Originally posted by cavscout11cav
Oh if anyone wants to see how nasty this gas is, that the news keeps saying leads to irritation and death after long exposure, watch this

Warning, this video shows someone dying

–> This video does not show someone dying.

It is often claimed that it was a real incident, but it has been confirmed that it is actually an Illinois State Police HAZMAT training video instructing LEO about what not to do – because as you rightly mentioned, anhydrous ammonia is unbelievably hardcore stuff.
The video is very well done, though, especially near the end; notice how the smoke conveniently stops when the HAZMAT teams arrive, so the viewer can see what's happening(!)

On the ODMP website you can confirm that there were 4 deaths across agencies in the state of Illinois in the year 2000, one of which was due to exposure to toxins (carbon monoxide in that case).
edit on 18-4-2013 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Flavian
Just been reading this report on it. Sounds horrific, wish all the best to the inhabitants.

Th e Independent

The bit that really caught my eye was the eyewitness saying "it was a small fire and then water got sprayed on the ammonium nitrate and it exploded just like the Oklahoma City bomb".

The reason i brought this up originally is that in a chemical fire, isn't water the last thing you want to be using? Shouldn't it be foam for chemical fires? In which case, there is a possible reason for such a violent explosion - if, as the witness claims, the fire was pretty much under control at that point.

I didn't read any reply to your post or maybe I overlooked ut but you are absolutely right about that. Water and chemical fires are a no-go

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
GUESS WHAT!!
There was a DRILL before the Texas explosion!! WHAT IS GOING ON -_-!!!
"North Hills Hospital is proud to be hosting one of the largest emergency preparedness drills ever held in the state of Texas this week."
Source:
northhillshospital.wordpress.com...

Quote from article:
"Update on the drill (posted 4/18): Due to the events in West, Texas last night, North Hills Hospital and the NCTTRAC have chosen to cancel today’s emergency preparedness drill. Many of the same resources planned for the drill have already deployed to West to help care for the victims down there.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, loved ones, and first responders affected by this terrible tragedy."

I am.. speechless >.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kathael

North Richland Hills is part of the DFW Metroplex.. The Metroplex runs drills a few times a year..

I was a bit snarky, sorry.. very sleep deprived.

I'm not worried about a what if situation.. this was just a horrible chain of events that ended in a horrific accident.
edit on 18-4-2013 by Justaposter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You know,

I have absolutely no evidence or reason to back up this assertion, so take this as pure speculation, but I'm convinced this particular incident was not an accident, but a sort of bombing/attack/memorial to the Waco Siege, hence why it happened in Waco. Another thing about why I think this is the date. The Waco siege ended on the day of April 19th, officially. The actual explosion day isn't too far from that date.

Anyway, I hope the folks are alight down there and I hope I'm deathly wrong.
edit on 18-4-2013 by ForwardDrift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

I am getting tired of reading that anhydrous ammonia is widely used as a fertilizer. Is there anyone out there that thinks that a farmer applies this product to his fields???

Yes. aNH3 is a common agricultural fertilizer. I do business with a company that purchases, stores and distributes it to farmers in our area. Here is a source that is not media based. It is from University of Arkansas' Division of Agriculture. From that link:

The agriculture community has used anhydrous ammonia as a low cost, highly effective nitrogen-based fertilizer for years. It’s prevalence in the farming community makes it easy to sometimes forget that this a dangerous chemical and should be handled with caution and care.

The word, “anhydrous”, means without water. When anhydrous ammonia comes in contact with moisture, the water and ammonia rapidly combine. When injected into the soil the liquid ammonia expands into gas and is readily absorbed into the soil moisture.

Note that aNH3 is not considered a flammable gas, but it can become explosive at the right concentrations and pressures. If large quantities of the liquid (as it is stored) aNH3 were vaporized in the explosion, that would explain all of the inhalation injuries in the area.

Our thoughts and prayers are with those that are affected, but I had to clear up this false information that was posted.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Anyone close to Central TX here is a great way to help out our friends in West tonight

WACO, Texas (April 18, 2013) - Five for Fighting, known for the hit song "Superman (It's Not Easy)" that became an anthem after the Sept. 11 attacks, will perform tonight (Thursday, April 18) at a benefit concert at Baylor University to aid the West, Texas, community as it recovers from Wednesday's explosion. The concert is free and open to the community. Cash donations are welcome to support relief efforts in West. The concert - originally scheduled for tonight on Fountain Mall on the Baylor campus as part of the University's Diadeloso celebration - has been moved indoors to the Ferrell Center, 1900 S. University Parks Drive at LaSalle Avenue in Waco.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
VIDEO OF THE EXPLOSION

Towards the end of the video the plant explodes

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForwardDrift
You know,

I have absolutely no evidence or reason to back up this assertion, so take this as pure speculation, but I'm convinced this particular incident was not an accident, but a sort of bombing/attack/memorial to the Waco Siege, hence why it happened in Waco. Another thing about why I think this is the date. The Waco siege ended on the day of April 19th, officially. The actual explosion day isn't too far from that date.

Aren't West , Texas and Waco , Texas two separate locations with something like 10-20 miles between the two towns? Sort of makes your claim of "hence why it happened in Waco" incorrect.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tripnman

Yes. aNH3 is a common agricultural fertilizer. I do business with a company that purchases, stores and distributes it to farmers in our area.

Thank you, I humbly stand corrected.
I have never been involved with direct application of liquid NH3 as fertilizer. With my experience with the product (eyes, nose and lungs), I think it would be a crazy thing to do.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Yes, and the Branch Davidians were not located in Waco.. Waco was just the closest 'named' town that people hear of.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

You know,

Aren't West , Texas and Waco , Texas two separate locations with something like 10-20 miles between the two towns? Sort of makes your claim of "hence why it happened in Waco" incorrect.

Waco has a population of close to 130,000....so West would be almost like a suburb of Waco if it's only 10 or 20 miles away, wouldn't you say?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Police: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and state fire marshal to lead West, Texas, explosion investigation

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You know,

And so it is, in fact, incorrect. And with one fell swoop you have unveiled me with my foot in my mouth.
Well, then it is probably just a regular explosion, then. Thanks for the correction.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

You know,

20 year anniversary.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

edit on 18-4-2013 by Justaposter because: oops! didn't post propperly.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords

You know,

Waco has a population of close to 130,000....so West would be almost like a suburb of Waco if it's only 10 or 20 miles away, wouldn't you say?

No, it is it's own town. Not a suburb of Waco.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hi.

I don't have any experience with Ammonium Nitrates, but I do have extensive experience with anhydrous ammonia being in the refrigeration business and all.

All I could say is, by all means charge into the danger zone, but once you find the stench unbearable, turn back or run in the opposite direction. It is extremely disorienting, but I found that people who have been exposed to it more often, like me, have much higher tolerances. Like, if most people would vomit just by catching a whiff of this substance, we would normally just wince in discomfort. But then, it would be too late for most, for it would leave you convoluting on the ground and helpless.

Simple GAS masks would help, the ones that filter NH3. But don't forget other extremities. The eyes are also vulnerable so wear goggles. Then other sensitive areas go next. Because I am male, I found that the scrotum goes next in line. So be careful.

In an emergency situation, drench yourself in water because ammonia reacts almost instantly with water and then it is easily neutralized. I'd say, if I really had to, I'd charge in there in a robe drenched in water wearing a gas mask and goggles.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

I have never been involved with direct application of liquid NH3 as fertilizer. With my experience with the product (eyes, nose and lungs), I think it would be a crazy thing to do.

Oh, we're in agreement there. I wouldn't want to be the one transporting, handling or applying the stuff. The applicators need to wear chemical goggles and respirators and keep large quantities of water on hand. You don't mess around with it. The fact that it's anhydrous means that on contact it can replace the water in your body with ammonia. That isn't pretty.

The actual application of aNH3 is a combination of very small amounts of liquid (remember it has to be under -28°F to remain liquid at atmospheric pressures) but mostly its vaporized gas that is soil injected. In the soil it bonds with ground moisture and locks in the ammonia (and the ground is now fertilized).

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

You know,

And so it is, in fact, incorrect. And with one fell swoop you have unveiled me with my foot in my mouth.
Well, then it is probably just a regular explosion, then. Thanks for the correction.

Hopefully my initial reply didn't come off wrong.

Their is so much information coming in about this matter that I am just trying to compile a list of facts and in reality I wasn't sure if they were the same, near each other or different.

I could have just as easily looked it up but I find ATS keeps my attention more than going to google right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join