It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Introduction Why not Vent about Pennsylvaina DMV and the general car Insuarnce company.

page: 1

log in


posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:37 AM
Hello ATS!

My Girlfriend got a letter from the DMV. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Bureau of motor Vehicles.

The PERMANENT GENERAL ASSURANCE COMPANY aka (the General) car Insurance notified the DMV that we terminated coverage with them as of 2/19/13.

As a result we got a letter from the DMV that our registration was suspended as of 5/21/13 and we must turn in our Plates and pay a restoration fee in the amount of 50 dollars. Letter here==>

This is Total BS. Is it normal for a car insurance company to notify the state like that??

I wonder if poor people who lose there jobs are suffering this 50 dollar fee.. just because they miss a month or two.

We changed insurance to Geico because it was cheaper. So there was no lapse of coverage. Effective 2-07-13 to 8-07-13 Insuarnce card here ==>

I just want to know if thats typical for an insurance company to do that. Also we never got a warning at all or a letter asking us for proof of insurance.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:50 AM
reply to post by mpacc

Seems a bit vindictive to me.

But if you can prove that you were insured the whole time (got the new insurance before you cancelled), you may be able to make the case that you shouldnt be charged anything.

edit on 16-4-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:58 AM
Sue the old insurance company for providing false data.


posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:10 AM
Yeah sounds vindictive to me also. Nationwide screwed me over once on my car insurance. They were adding on coverage out of the blue that we never asked for. And obviously more expense for me. I called them up and demanded that they remove those charges. Then I said that I will be shopping for a new company and will call you when I am ready to switch. Well we get a notice like a month later telling us that our coverage was dropped 30 days prior. So we were not insured for an entire month and had no idea! Now we never got any sort of letter like you did from the DMV. But that was decades ago.

Anyways, you need to call the DMV and inform them of their error. You should not have to pay.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:57 AM

Originally posted by mpacc

Is it normal for a car insurance company to notify the state like that??

Not only is it normal, it is the law in your state and many others that the insurance company notify the DMV whenever insurance coverage is cancelled, for whatever reason.

Simply go to the DMV, show them your proof of insurance for that time period, and everything will be taken care of, and no cost to you except for a bit of time.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:00 AM
reply to post by mpacc

^^^^^^Beat me to it......
Oh well, information is good no matter how many people say it, Right??

Yes this is normal...

In PA it is state law to have car insurance for your car to be registered. You can't even get your car inspected if the registration and insurance are not valid!

But if you drop insurance, PA will not let your car continue to be registered because these two are linked together and report to each other......Sorry for the bad news!!
edit on 4/19/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

log in