It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military helicopter has reportedly crashed near the North Korean border

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by projectvxn

It was from the 31st MEU based in Okinawa. 16 and 5 was the breakdown on board.

Two PIs and 3 CEs. 16 troops.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Oh yeah, like I said, they've improved immensely as the years have gone by. The early models were horrendous when it came to safety, the L/M has an amazing safety record so far.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm an M-model CE.

Love the damned thing and I trust it with my life.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Just about everyone that I know that has flown them loves the M model. They say that it's an amazing bird, and a dream to work on since it doesn't break much.

Sure beats the old -53. When we had them at Hickam, they were always in maintenance (the one we lost was a maintenance screw up too). The ones we had at Hickam were part of the 6594th Test Group, who would go out and catch satellites as they came down (C-130s for longer ranged catches, HH-53s with IFR capability for closer in ones).

This is the actual bird we lost that day. The pilot saved everyone on the ship when it went down.

edit on 4/16/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Yep. Maintaining an M-Model is extremely efficient.

Have you looked into it's IVHMS system?

It makes diagnosing and troubleshooting less of a headache.

On a side note. The 64's had a terrible maintenance record during a training exercise recently. To the point where they had to use 58s to fill in the gaps.

Not one flew until a few days before we had to RTB.

I've always liked 53s. If they would integrate IVHMS systems and gave it a few upgrades I think they'd do much better as well. But it seems the marines don't like new stuff.

They're still flying UH1s and Cobras
edit on 16-4-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I'm not surprised about the -64s, I've always heard that they were maintenance issues, kind of like the B-1 was several years ago. I had a B-1 crew chief tell me there is no such thing as an FMC B-1, and there never will be.

I've heard a lot of good things about the IVHMS system. The F-35 is supposed to have a similar system, but it's a POS right now, and can't be used fully, as apparently one side of it is hackable.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
The Helicopter in North Korean terrority can only expect trouble. DUH
edit on 16-4-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

I believe he said NEAR the North Korean border DUH

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
Doesnt matter ... Its irrelevant. If you pay attention to every little military movement. This will be super boring.
The Helicopter in North Korean terrority can only expect trouble. DUH

Irrelevant.
Maybe you should go and troll in another thread.

To the OP thanks this is pretty big news if it was shot down. Or if it is on the wrong side of the border.

Entirely relevant If USA is instigating then they are BULLYING. I dont care were Bully's choose there targets in schools or on the war field. If you Bully, someone should stop you

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rjbaggins

Yes, so what? You are naive to think accidents dont happen especially with what they are up to in SK.

People really have an idealistic notion that war is like some " fairy tale" we will beat the baddies. It doesnt happen like that - there are lost lives, innocent on both sides .

Thankfully nothing happened to them. But watch this space, More to come.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Just to clarify, it was a hard landing, and the helicopter burned afterwards. It was over the Jipo-Ri Bombing Range, which is entirely in South Korean territory. That's 55 miles north of Seoul.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
Hopefully it was mechanical in nature and not something that will usher in another reason for war. I guess we will know what they are calling it soon enough.

If they shot it down I think that will mean war right?

We've been at war with North Korea for over 60 years, this war was never settled.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just curious if these are emp hardened. And to what level. I would think any bird attached to a battle fleet would be.Hell my buddy bought an old 1009 (military blazer) and it had a huge resistor bank to dump the emp voltage into.Some of the electrical cables were also shielded. He did get a radio rig though.

Bill

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
U.S. explanation: 'Controlled crash simulation'

DPRK explanation: 'The Dear Leader, Kim Jong-Un, in his inimitable might and greatness fired upon the imperialist pig-scum with the lasers embedded in his retinas, which he himself invented only last week (and self-installed) and blew the inferior technology of the oppressors from the heavens... which his esteemed, eternal president, Kim Il-Sung created. A free frozen fish head for everyone!'

Actuality: Made in China.
edit on 16-4-2013 by CristobalColonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CristobalColonic
U.S. explanation: 'Controlled crash simulation'

DPRK explanation: 'The Dear Leader, Kim Jong-Un, in his inimitable might and greatness fired upon the imperialist pig-scum with the lasers embedded in his retinas, which he himself invented only last week (and self-installed) and blew the inferior technology of the oppressors from the heavens... which his esteemed, eternal president, Kim Il-Sung created. A free frozen fish head for everyone!'

Actuality: Made in China.
edit on 16-4-2013 by CristobalColonic because: (no reason given)

That bastard and all we have is Dennis Rodman.

Bill

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I remember some time ago reading an article about N. Korea using lasers to disorient pilots along the border. Could this be a possiblity?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Sorry folks, I take full responsibility.........I posted a picture that was connected to a news post off the net.

I didn't even bother checking (flame me now)

That is indeed the wrong pic.

Here is the correct one, complete with smoke:

Also here is some North Korean female soldiers....mmmmm

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Soooooo? Any news from the military yet? Or is this just a case of Pilot Error?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

Yes they are, and the level they're hardened to is classified usually. Or at least the methods are.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

It'll be at least a day or two probably before we have a preliminary indication. It's going to take time to interview everyone, and get their ducks lined up.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Top Stuff.....cheers

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join