It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker Claims He Can Hijack Any Airplane Using a Mobile App

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, this certainly seems interesting. I have to wonder that with smart people around that specifically look at ways to circumvent potential issues of hacking, that this wasn't caught by plane manufacturers.

Hacker Claims He Can Hijack Any Airplane Using a Mobile App

It's a viable source for the info and here's a little blurb from CNBC

Teso demonstrated that by using hardware, such as a flight management system that has actual flight code software, and a radio transmitter, he could search through real aircraft code to look for vulnerabilities.

Using a flight management system he purchased off eBay, Teso said he was able to tap into ACARS, the aircraft's messaging system, to hijack the computer system that controls the autopilot so that he could upload new data that would set the plane on a new course.

Using the exploitable code Teso discovered by examining the navigation software, Teso made the process even simpler by creating his own code and an Android app called PlaneSploit. In a test lab demonstration, he showed how, by using the app on his Samsung Galaxy smartphone, he could redirect virtual planes and, hypothetically, real planes.

I have a really hard time believing that a plane manufacturer wouldn't catch this and build in countermeasures or more effectively, run everything on the "hard-line" rather than a wireless link. Anyway, I figured all you frequent flyers would enjoy the concept of having some wanker in cattle class with a smart phone redirecting the plane to who knows where. Fun Wow !!!

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
Using a flight management system he purchased off eBay, Teso said he was able to tap into ACARS, the aircraft's messaging system,

As it says, ACARS is just a simple text messaging system for planes.
Passenger lists, weather information, and such like.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Search = already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and here:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Search = already posted here:

and here:

That search function doesn't work very well, I put in the actual headline You'd think a search engine could find that if it existed in the system.

Mods, remove if warranted.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

That search function doesn't work very well, I put in the actual headline

Search works just fine. How do you think I found the links to post here? I knew the story had been posted, I went to the search engine to get the links.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

That search function doesn't work very well, I put in the actual headline

Search works just fine. How do you think I found the links to post here? I knew the story had been posted, I went to the search engine to get the links.

Here's the search engine

No results

"No results found. Check your search terms and try again.

If you feel you received this message in error, and would like to assist us in finding out why, please visit our support page."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

You're using too many words. In any search, you have to use the fewest amount of words.

top topics

join