It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Is Enough?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I put this here but it touches on many topics. It also can have many subjects, but I will talk about money.

I have tought about this for some time now. Not only for myself but also speculating about others. For me, enough money would buy me a rural home with some land, hobby equipment, medical coverage, and still have enough left for maintainence of the above. Maybe with some left for the kids.

Then I think about the super rich. They obviously have more than they could ever spend just to be comfortable but they want even more. Why? Do they equate it with power? Or accomplishment? Have they found a way to take it with them?

Or could it be a mental illness, an addiction?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Control.
2nd.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister

Well, I am no where near being super rich, or even well off.

But, I have never been good at moderation.
I smoke too much, I drink too much. I work out too much to the point I usually end up hurting myself.

I would not be surprised to learn that TPTB face similar personal issues.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm super rich and let me tell ya it's not easy...jk

On topic. Greed, and lots and lots of it...

My ultimate fantasy is when I'm rich one day, every day I'm going to walk around and randomely give away money to people. Just a random act of kindness. Society is built upon different layers of method of controlling, and money is the icing on all the layers.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Having a HUGE excess of money like that is Not a bad thing.

However, . .. some individuals that have rather large piles of money have spent their entire life chasing after their fortunes. They use every waking hour on the quest for the larger pile of money. Their average day consists of about 18 hours. They eat, they sleep, they breath Money. EVERYTHING in their life is All About Money.
Money Does have those people in CONTROL.

I think most people would call that an obsession. And an obsession can be defined as a sickness.

I personally think those people should lay off of the money and get some help.

Have you ever heard the saying "Money is the Root of All Evil"?

Incidentally, that is not always the case. Contrary to Popular Belief, Money does Not Automatically make things better. Most people think that they will be happier if they win $200 million dollars in the lottery. That would leave you with about $100 million. That is ALLOT of money for someone who has spent most of their life working minimum wages jobs just to get by. But, what most do not realize is that if you are Unhappy, you are still going to be Unhappy with a HUGE pile of money. They only thing that kind of money does is help to make life a little more comfortable.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The pursuit of extreme wealth is probably the most destructive obsession there is.

When you read what most of these people did to get their money, it becomes pretty clear that there is not a connection to creating wealth and obtaining wealth.

There are a lot of very vindictive people out there who love and worship power and wealth, and they create most of the worlds problems, wars, mass murders, major destruction.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Do you currently have all those things that you claim will be "enough" for you?

If not, it is merely a claim that you will say "enough" once you have it, nothing in fact to back it up.

Perhaps the "super rich" have similar goals about when they will say "enough".

A starving Somali is likely to find to both the claims just as hollow as the other's.

edit on 14-4-2013 by Observor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
i worked this out (roughly) a while back, how much money i'd need to live comfortably and be self sufficient in the uk.

assuming i'm not paranoid and don't think the nhs and other services that are provided for for 'free' are not some sort of mind control, it wasn't actually that much money.

currently i live in my parents house, it's a pretty nice house. i have my own living room, bathroom, bedroom, a space for a car on the drive if i need it (i can't drive), no need to watch what i use in terms of gas or electricity, a big garden front and back, the fastest broadband this country offers (according to virgin media), a full tv package with every channel (apart from sky atlantic which isn't available on cable), it's close to my other family and friends and is close enough to the city centre to make it accessible but far enough away for it to feel a bit nicer than big city living.

i have access to healthy food, junk food, clean water, toiletries, entertainment systems, full health services and pretty much everything any human will ever need.

so for me, enough would be to make sure i can cover all those.

i worked out, that in birmingham, i could cover that as a single man (i struck some things off like the garden and parking space)for £18,500 a year.

£18,500 a year is enough and any more than that is just unnecessary, a waste of my valuable free time and effort. so for me, how much i can earn will dictate only one thing, how long i have to work for.

i'm not sure if i've answered the question, but i hope this contributes at least something.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
To me enough is having enough to eat every day,to pay school fees,to clothe yourself and your kids,if you have any,and medical insurance.In my country adequate private medical insurance is Super-important,because the state hospital,not all,but the vast majority has gone into catastrophic decline since 1994.And to have a bit left over for emergencies-eg at the medi-clinic here by us,if you fall seriously sick/get injured after hours-despite even being on the one of the country's top med insurance companies,Discovery Med Aid-you Still have to pay a deposit of around 600ZAR-before they will phone the doctor(s) on standby.

For me personally enough would include funds to send my 2 youngest children to university-my youngest daughter would like to study veterinary medicine/ forensic science,or neuropathology,or on the other hand marine biology.That takes biiiig bucks.We will make a plan for her,and luckily my son is only 6,so there's a lot of time to save up for that.

And that is enough for us-a luxury would be money for a family holiday once a year,and a few hundred thou in savings-again-for my kids' tertiary education,and emergencies.

I cannot comprehend being a multi-millionaire and yet always wanting more-maybe because we like a relatively simple down-to-earth life,and we don't have voids that need to be filled by possessions,or being in positions of power/Control issues.

I often wish i was a billionaire though,because that would allow me to help out good people who are in dreadful financial circumstances and change big wrongs in this world-but i guess everyone who reads/knows about injustices and suffering people and animals/issues that would take big bucks to change,feels this way often.I'd love to have the financial clout to crush Monsanto,for instance,and rid us all of this plague upon humanity,to mention just one.

But it really is relative-the parents of the kids whom my son's school help weekly with a bread+milk donations-to them a job that pays adequately to feed their kids without outside assistance may well be enough.

top topics

join