It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Gels can give synthetic materials the ability to “act alive” - WIERD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Self-moving gels can give synthetic materials the ability to “act alive” and mimic primitive biological communication, University of Pittsburgh researchers have found.

I have no idea what are they planning to do with this stuff, but it reminds me a few Sci Fi movies, like "Terminator 2" and "Flubber", what do you think?

In a previous study, the Pitt team noticed that long pieces of gel attached to a surface by one end “bent” toward one another, almost as if they were trying to communicate by sending signals. This hint that “chatter” might be taking place led the team to detach the fixed ends of the gels and allow them to move freely.

www.news.pitt.edu...

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

The 'BZ' stands for Belousov-Zhabotinsky, as in a Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction...

A Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction, or BZ reaction, is one of a class of reactions that serve as a classical example of non-equilibrium thermodynamics, resulting in the establishment of a nonlinear chemical oscillator.

The reactions are theoretically important in that they show that chemical reactions do not have to be dominated by equilibrium thermodynamic behavior.

An essential aspect of the BZ reaction is its so called "excitability"; under the influence of stimuli, patterns develop in what would otherwise be a perfectly quiescent medium

Investigators are also exploring the creation of a "wet computer", using self-creating "cells" and other techniques to mimic certain properties of neurons.

en.wikipedia.org...

So, yeah, that is a totally weird property of BZ gels. I am deeply interested in these types of things, thanks for the heads up. If you consider the 'wet computer' bit in the quote above then what they may be doing with these products, or where this research may be heading, is only limited by your imagination. I am pretty sure that these gels will go straight to work in Membrane Computing.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Thanks for that input. Clearly you know the topic.

Lets hope nobody use it to develop a weapon.
edit on 11-4-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Lets hope nobody use it to develop a weapon.

True, the stuff does seem to provide the basic materials for maybe a Shoggoth.

Thanks for that input. Clearly you know the topic.

No, not really, I am just a big fan of weird science. I'm just trying to make sense of it along with everyone else.
edit on 11-4-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

True, the stuff does seem to provide the basic materials for maybe a Shoggoth.

I wonder what if they use it for silicon implants.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

You are a madman after my own heart. It kinda sounds like whatever the gel is put in becomes sort of prehensile.

That could be fun.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!

Screw Nukes and EMp's this makes for much more amusing doomsday threads!!!!!

edit on 12-4-2013 by penninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bybyots
reply to post by Trueman

You are a madman after my own heart. It kinda sounds like whatever the gel is put in becomes sort of prehensile.

That could be fun.

This stuff has a huge potential, watch out with people with long hair and L'OREAL.

Example : "Rasta" hair style meets "Medusa".

new topics

top topics

join