It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Ga. firefighters taken hostage; SWAT on scene

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

SUWANEE, Ga. (AP) — Authorities in northwest Georgia say a barricaded man is holding five firefighters hostage. Gwinnett County Police Cpl. Edwin Ritter says firefighters on Wednesday responded to a medical call in Suwanee and were taken hostage by a suspect he didn't identify. Ritter says information on a possible motive was not immediately available and a SWAT team is on the scene. He gave no more details. A call to the Gwinnett County Fire Department was not immediately returned. Suwanee is about 35 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta.

Source

This is currently unfolding and I would update once more news is available. Hopefully everyone will be alright.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why on earth would you take a fire-fighter hostage? They're some of the most selfless members of society?

I wish them all well...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I understand where you're coming from. The only reason is probably a former fire fighter who was fire or something o that nature and decided to hold them hostage. That is the only logical stance I have currently.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Another thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Can they be merged?

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

You are allowed two threads in separate relevant forums.

CX.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by mr-lizard

I understand where you're coming from. The only reason is probably a former fire fighter who was fire or something o that nature and decided to hold them hostage. That is the only logical stance I have currently.

That, or alternatively, they are high value targets/hostages who are among a similar social culture status as police officers, yet generally are not armed.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I just saw this on WSB. I hope everything turns out all right.

They just said an update at 545 EST.

They also said that the neighborhood is blocked off, and no one is allowed to return to their homes from work, etc.

I never understood the legality of preventing people from going to their homes. Sure, it's a "safety" issue, but where's the legality? They can't force people who are in their homes to leave their residence, nor can they reasonably force people standing in their yards inside, but being legally prevented from going home would piss me off royally. What's the law, the precedent, for legally keeping people from their homes? Lawful order? Active crime scene? The whole neighborhood/MY house is a crime scene? I think not.

ETA: I was thinking it might be a former fire fighter, too, with a grudge. But who knows?

edit on 10-4-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The man who called 911 faked a heart attack, according to an update.

ETA: live local news coverage as of 546 EST WSB

ETA: 548 EST One fire fighter released.

Press conference in progress

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I wouldn't be surprise he had to fake a heart attack to call for help.
2nd line needed.

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Multiple explosions heard, however that could be flash grenades used by SWAT.

CX.
edit on 10/4/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Guy on Fox saying there were several explosions then gunfire. Guy says that one of the explosions shook his house.

CX.

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Same guy being interviewed seems to think that it's turned out ok, says he can see the firemen with the hard hats out come out and that the police seemed to be ok.

Will wait for more info before posting any more.

CX.

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Report from police:

SWAT went in, thats what the explosions were.

Suspect killed from exchange of gunfire.

One cop injured from flashbangs, but not life threatening.

All firefighters fine and will be going home tonight.

CX.

CX

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The sad thing about this is the speed they went in.

I know there is no excuse for holding anyone hostage for any reason, but it appears that this guy may have had financial problems, he wanted his utilities turned back on apparently.

Will have to wait and see. I appreciate you want these situations over and done with asap, but when someone gets killed over what could be a few bills, it kind of sucks.

Then again, those firefighters didn't deserve being held, so the guy brought it on himself.

CX.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Report from police:

SWAT went in, thats what the explosions were.

Suspect killed from exchange of gunfire.

One cop injured from flashbangs, but not life threatening.

All firefighters fine and will be going home tonight.

CX.

Yup.

We've entered the age where SOP is to burst in and kill the suspect by whatever means necessary. No more extended negotiations, just storm the place as soon as possible and kill the suspect when he makes a *threatening* move.

This is happening all too often and is condoned and accepted all too often.

This is disgusting, regardless of what his problems were or what he did.

And we as citizens allow this behavior to continue (by our LE).

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
False flag, another big media story for how bad guns are and we need to control it. I smell something very fishy with this.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The only thing disgusting in this story is that this guy held firemen, generally some of the most selfless people on the planet, hostage at gunpoint.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by danneu89

The only thing disgusting in this story is that this guy held firemen, generally some of the most selfless people on the planet, hostage at gunpoint.

True, what he did was unacceptable.

That doesn't mean he should have been killed for it.

Hence my post about SOP.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I guess I'm just desensitized or something, but I don't feel any mercy for violent criminals. I feel more for the cop that was hurt by the flash bang grenade than some lunatic who's ruining the country for everybody else.

If it is over some bills though, that's just sad. What have we become?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
what the hell is wrong with you Americans.. I mean Jesus age Mary and Christ, is it something in the water? something on TV? where does this psychopath mentality come from? the rest of the world should immediately order all airports and seaports to deny entry to American travelers incase this disease spreads.

You have no right dictating to other nations anything about peace and democracy when you cant even get your own house in order.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join