It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaining points and how to recognise each others contributions on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

It was college. I needed the money.

Recognition comes from quality posts, or consistant (in my case) goofiness. As seen above.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by beezzer

**playing devil's advocate**

So I've been here a while and I know the membership. Who is a quality poster, who is hit and run etc..

Now if I was a new member however, or a visitor for example, what can I use to quickly identify quality posters and direct myself to their content?

I constantly go to people's profiles and read their threads and posts directly from those links if I enjoyed a particular thread by any given member that I'm not too familiar with.

I could see myself doing that more, if there were some visual indication on the Avatar or something similar that would tell me that according to the 'system in place' this member has been designated as a quality contributor.

For us long term members who are here everyday, it's that much of a big deal, cause we already know who is who and who stands where.

For the regular ATS member who logs in once a week or a month, to new visitors who visit only once, it could be very beneficial. Not only in leading them towards the quality content, but also for keeping those short term members by wowing them so to speak.

ETA: Personally, the accolades I could care less about, I'm here for the community, not the bell's and whistles, but shiny things are nice right?

~Tenth
edit on 4/9/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Thank you for your reply Tothetenth.

My point was asked as a favour for another member here as i had posted a reply for which he and someone else seemed like an idea to put forward, so i did!

Sadly a certain member who posted a reply to my thread misunderstood my question i believe and took the liberty of checking my profile and commenting as if it was i who was looking for personal "bells and whistles" so to speak, to be quite honest with everyone, personally, the most gratifying gesture for me is for someone to reply back to my thread with intelligence and politness and having the feeling that my contribution has been appreciated by other members

I believe that my question was worth asking as i am sure that other people have also pondered on this issue too.

I think that certain people who have answered my thread think that is a personal thing that i wish for myself.

I quote you here Tothetenth "I could see myself doing that more, if there were some visual indication on the Avatar or something similar that would tell me that according to the 'system in place' this member has been designated as a quality contributor"

i personally think that this is a great idea and also helps new members as well as old to recognise as we put it "Quality posters"

Thank you to all members who have answered so far

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I wrote that to illustrate how easy it already is to see what level of contribution has been made. It was not meant as a reflection on you personally.

It's frustrating, sometimes in the writer's forum. New writer's bring such great emotion, prose, talent, on the "pages" here at ATS.
Yet they are sometimes ignored over more "known" writer's like myself who's talent may actually pale in comparison to the new writer.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I understand where you're coming from. It's the sense of gratitude that you want, not the physical items.

And I'm not going to blame you for that, since we all want to feel like we've made a difference, some how.

I however will say, that I would like stars and flags removed, and a new form of posting added in that would allow people to reply to posts in a drop down tree style, so people can write brief remarks like good thinking, or oh that's cool, i hadn't thought of that.

i think my solution would fill the purpose of stars, flags, and the gratitude you're after.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Rodinus

I wrote that to illustrate how easy it already is to see what level of contribution has been made. It was not meant as a reflection on you personally.

It's frustrating, sometimes in the writer's forum. New writer's bring such great emotion, prose, talent, on the "pages" here at ATS.
Yet they are sometimes ignored over more "known" writer's like myself who's talent may actually pale in comparison to the new writer.

Thanks Beez for being so Frank,

You comment was appreciated and to be quite honest with you i sometimes like to "perv" peoples profiles too to get a better impression of who i am going to read about or reply to and if his/hers opinions are similar to mine.

However, i actually disagree personally with you that new writers tend to be ignored with preference for "known" writers...but this is my own opinion as i always take a little time to try and read through all of the new writers post when i have time and Mrs Rodinus is not at my back bugging me for the computer like she is now!!

And don't worry mate, your talent is still there

Well, i suppose i had better call it a night now or Mrs Rodinus is going to push my head through my computer screen.

One again, my sincere thanks to you all for your comments and looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm with Tenth here. I come to ATS daily (don't always post, sometimes just read) and I know what a good quality thread looks like and which members create said threads. The point system is just there and I have never really seen a use for it. It looks good on your profile to see 50,000 points (or whatever it may be haven't checked mine in a while) but I don't think it has a overall purpose.

Not a bad idea overall though.

I still want to trade my points in for a exclusive ATS hat.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Rodinus

You know the real reason you brought up that comment and this is not about self recognition but about understanding better how that is earned.

You just gave a Perfect example you could always have something that designates someone as an up and coming writer. Or ways to better know which ones to ignore...

I think a lot is drowned out by popularity with stars and points and it is lost on new members. The current system is nearly indecipherable by members who have been here for years even...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I'm not sure I understand. You don't think or do you think that an additional scoring system might shadow potential new members?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think it might be a little much for new members. Some might even get a little intimidated getting waist deep in some threads...

...However it could help the new members distinguish who contributes more. I guess it depends on the person.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Doesn't the WATS list or top 50 contributors list already provide a way to 'find' those who create quality threads/posts?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I'll look at how many stars I get on my posts, but only to see how many either agree with me, or at least find my comments interesting. Other than I could care less about rewards and applause and all that crap. Please don't make this site about competing for meaningless rewards when the input from members is already priceless. Thnx.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

reply to post by abeverage

I'm not sure I understand. You don't think or do you think that an additional scoring system might shadow potential new members?

Perhaps not an additional one but maybe one more understandable or more simplified. Stars, Flags, and Posts makes sense but the Wats and Karma???
And I have no doubt someone will properly correct me which nice and all but not exactly welcoming.

Over the years I have participated in countless forums and have earned both good and bad reputations so I have to commend ATS for trying. Gawker's star system it created more animosity than being a star-bellied sneech, perhaps it is time for ATS to evolve...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Not a bad idea overall though.

I still want to trade my points in for a exclusive ATS hat.

Just for you SAP.......

How many points would this be worthy of???

snarky

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

If you really want reward, post and contribute something worthwhile.

I have a sweatshirt and a hoodie given as gifts by Springer after some of my artistic contributions.

I have 158,521 points but have no interest in having them really. They just happen.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Pardon my ignorance but what do negative ATS points mean? I hadn't seen the reasoning mentioned.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

I've got plenty of bangles and bells, and they were/are fun to earn, but you are only as good as your last post.

Regards,

This is actually a saying i use to guide my life in general. Actually, it is "You're only as good as your last sale", heard from an old line manager in a sales call center for a wireless company.

It is true. In life in general, it is true. And even here at ATS, it is true.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
reply to post by Rodinus

If you really want reward, post and contribute something worthwhile.

I have a sweatshirt and a hoodie given as gifts by Springer after some of my artistic contributions.

I have 158,521 points but have no interest in having them really. They just happen.

Hi Nerbot, Hi all,

Well, as i stated last night my time, i don't want a reward "so to speak" Not personally for me me me...

I was just putting a question/idea forward which at the time was seen as a great idea from other posters too.

I personally try to make my serious threads and posts as interesting as possible, although i do admit that i also have a sense of humour and when i see some of the gloomier posts try and liven things up a little in order to dislocate what could turn into conflictual nasty posts with lots of bickering.

Some people might have the opinion that those posts are not worthwile in their eyes, but for me they are, as can sometimes calm a potentially hot situation down and lead to a thread become interesting and enjoyable.

But... enough about me...

Maybe i have committed a "Faux pas" in asking the question or putting the idea across if you wish, but the essential is that you all responded and gave others as well as myself a clearer overview.

BUT, a question anyway... Is there still not a possibility of having a tiny discrete pin type ATS badge made so that fellow ATS members can recognise each other once they have PURCHASED it from the ATS store?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling mistakes due to the fact that i have not had my morning coffee yet!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

BUT, a question anyway... Is there still not a possibility of having a tiny discrete pin type ATS badge made so that fellow ATS members can recognise each other once they have PURCHASED it from the ATS store?

ATS is an attitude, we don't need no stinkin' badges.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Rodinus

ATS is an attitude, we don't need no stinkin' badges.

Well... in my own eyes your opinion is pertinent as far as YOU see things and is completely respected.

Myself, i see ATS as a community and not an attitude!

I didn't know that badges stink??? (please elaborate if possible to why you think badges "stink",

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Star and flag means someone read the information and considered the information itself, or the way it was presented, to be noteworthy and worth sharing. Stars and flags are not a 'present' we give to the OP in reward for their hard work.

If you believe in that philosophy, you are at the right site and will encourage the pursuit of truth and revealing/sharing of information/knowledge - BUT if you want to make the idea you present in the original post here, you are at the wrong site. ATS is a fruitless endeavor, well... That is to say, the fruits are gaining perception and wisdom.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join