It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think you're eating Tuna? Think Again.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I'd like to think that as a consumer, I would be protected from false and misleading advertising by legislation. Especially when it comes to the choices I make when shopping for food for my family!

However, recent investigation by independent researchers, *(note: not federally appointed agencies) have recently found that seafood being sold in Canada, has been mislabelled as much as 84% of the time.

The Tuna, Wild Salmon, Snapper, and Cod, you think you are getting, are actually farm raised, inferior, and much cheaper sub-species.

Just like the Horse Meat Scandals and Human Tissue scandals, coupled with restaurant chains such as McD's and Taco Bell serving meat mainly consisting of sawdust,

I ask you this.....when is enough, enough?

When will we hold companies and food inspection agencies accountable for transparency and honesty?

Why should I pay for inferior crap that is labelled as high end (thus expensive)?

If you walked into a jewelry store advertising diamonds for sale and they give you cubic zirconiums, would you not flip out?

Yet these companies are pedalling unknowns for us to ingest for sustenance without repercussions?

It makes no sense.

Among the recent study’s key findings:Among the recent study’s key findings:
Red snapper and tuna are the most frequently mislabelled species (87 and 59 per cent, respectively).
Only seven of the 120 red snapper samples tested correctly.
84 per cent of white tuna samples were actually escolar, which can cause digestive issues for some people.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which enforces the country’s food labelling laws, was not available for comment.

I like the last quote. With our Gov't muzzling it's agencies, it's not surprising they weren't available for comment.

Please read the entire story here.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

If you walked into a jewelry store advertising diamonds for sale and they give you cubic zirconiums, would you not flip out?

I'm sure deception is a criminal offence, how do they get away with such blatant crimes? Can charges not be bought against a jeweller for selling fake diamonds?

How do these food companies get away with it?
it's fraud and deception I tell ya!
edit on 9-4-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
They get away with it because they pass laws which make them immune to such prosecution.

I hope this doesnt count as a one line post.

So-Stop eating tuna...cause its not tuna.

Instead....buy the other meat- cause it might actually be tuna.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The consumer wan't first seat for cheapest price.

If it was real Tuna, the consumer wouldn't buy it. Too expensive. That said it's a good thing it's not Tuna, that fish specie is endangered.
I Always feel bad when I buy something with Tuna, this new article made me feel a bit better thanks.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Just yesterday I had some Sashimi made from Ahi Tuna(Yellowfin). I don't care if it was my neighbors dog, it was good and I want some more.

People will complain about this, but say nothing when they are buying sweet potatoes instead of Yams.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Here in Oz we have the Cray Fish (a freshwater relative of the Lobster) which is beautifully tasting and also very expensive. However, it has been found that the humble Flathead, caught a plenty in Port Phillip Bay, can be turned into a Cray Fish by simply taking the tail part (which is completely boneless), skinning it, making cuts almost right through about half an inch apart and then soaking it in pure lemon juice for 48 hours in the fridge. Take it out and let it drain then cover it with any of the popular sauces that go with Cray Fish. You cannot tell the difference!
The restaurants use the larger Flathead's for this of course but I have tried it with the smaller ones (the size gives the game away of course) and have served these up at barbecues as Cray Fish Pieces and nobody has twigged yet.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzTiger
Here in Oz we have the Cray Fish (a freshwater relative of the Lobster) which is beautifully tasting and also very expensive.

Crayfish are expensive there??? Whoa, those things taste like the mud they live in and are extremely prolific- why are they expensive?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by anton74
Just yesterday I had some Sashimi made from Ahi Tuna(Yellowfin). I don't care if it was my neighbors dog, it was good and I want some more.

People will complain about this, but say nothing when they are buying sweet potatoes instead of Yams.

I have nothing against eating these other varieties of fish, but I expect to KNOW what I'm eating.

What about people that may have allergies or aversions to certain foods that they are unwittingly digesting?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OzTiger

we also have those here in the south. U.S. we call them crawdads, or mudbugs.
they are considered a delicately, especially in louisiana.
and there's no way you would fool any cajun, with a bunch of fish tails.

edit on 9-4-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I was dreading clicking your thread as I do eat rather a lot of tinned tuna.

I was thinking 'wtf have I been eating now?' after finding out my quarter-pounders were actually horse meat.

Yeah I agree the people responsible for supplying food should be held accountable for what they label.

CX

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Does that mean we can start paying for these products with fake money?

Works both ways.

CX.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Sounds good but you would only be shortchanging the market you bought it from. Not the actual manufacturer of said product.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Once you fully understand and accept the ultimate overarching agenda, then it makes all kinds of sense my friend.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
I'd like to think that as a consumer, I would be protected from false and misleading advertising by legislation. Especially when it comes to the choices I make when shopping for food for my family!

However, recent investigation by independent researchers, *(note: not federally appointed agencies) have recently found that seafood being sold in Canada, has been mislabelled as much as 84% of the time.

The Tuna, Wild Salmon, Snapper, and Cod, you think you are getting, are actually farm raised, inferior, and much cheaper sub-species.

Just like the Horse Meat Scandals and Human Tissue scandals, coupled with restaurant chains such as McD's and Taco Bell serving meat mainly consisting of sawdust,

I ask you this.....when is enough, enough?

Couldn't agree more. Stop lying to us. Just label the stuff honestly.
There are so many lies everywhere now that we can't even keep up. We just have to assume everything is a lie from the start. LIES!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent

Originally posted by anton74

I have nothing against eating these other varieties of fish, but I expect to KNOW what I'm eating.

What about people that may have allergies or aversions to certain foods that they are unwittingly digesting?

The problem you describe can be found on every eisle in the store. Most people just don't care. If people knew what imitation Calamari really was, do you think they would eat it?

Having two children with allergies, I've learned what types of food to avoid and where not to eat. Common allergens in food are required to be on the label(at least in the U.S.). If they weren't and someone got sick or died, criminal charges would be filed against the company.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

I stopped eating most seafoods a long time ago due to high mercury content, even less ever since the BP oil spill and Fukushima, and this is just another reason to pay close attention to what we eat. As frustrating this information is, it does not surprise me.

Star and flag

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
just like somebody else said, who cares what it is so long as it tastes good, I go to chinese buffet all the time and my friends say: oh they serve cat thats gross i would never eat there, i just reply yep cat , its the best pussy you'll ever eat.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Had to buy a quick meal yesterday and had little choice but to get it from a vending machine. The machine was stocked with those little boxed Starkist tuna meals with the crackers. I paid 2 fiddy for it and took it over to a table.

One bite and I knew something was up with it; I ate the crackers and tossed the rest. I was so pissed that I wanted to yell at Starkist.

Thanks for an opportunity to do that on this thread.

"Curse you, Starkist; never again!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
tastes good, cheap, ok with me!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Crayfish are expensive there??? Whoa, those things taste like the mud they live in and are extremely prolific- why are they expensive?

Probably a different species and different feeding habits, they don't taste like mud here they taste like..... um, sex?

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on them. The ones in the "crawfish boil" photo look like what we call yabbies. Up in Qld, they call tiny shrimplike creatures about the size of your little finger yabbies, they use them for bait, no wonder my father in law couldn't understand why I like yabbies in curry sauce.

Originally posted by CX
Does that mean we can start paying for these products with fake money?

We already do.
or
"Fake money" isn't that an oxymoron?

edit on 9/4/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join