It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worshiping the dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Salam ATS members.

Today , while I was reading the threads about death of former prime minister , I noticed some thing that I have noticed some time ago.

I noticed that many ATS members are worshiping the dead. It means that they get emotional and they ignorantly , just look at the bright side of the coin , the good things and the good things that the dead was doing during his/her life.

"dead worshiper" is an Iranian expression that people use it for the people who are just flattering the dead and can not look at the whole page.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I suppose one can look at it that way. Another way to perceive it is not worship but remembrance. Remembrance is not worship although some individuals could get the two mixed up for one another, I guess.
edit on 8-4-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I don't believe members are worshiping the dead, as you put it.

When a person dies, it's only natural to reflect on his or her life and contemplate his or her legacy. This is not worshiping the dead.

Of course, we may be dealing with a language issue, as idioms rarely translate well.

Peace to you, my friend.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I saw less worshipping of the dead and a lot more childish hate filled ranting going on. A lot of idiotic venomous postings that people think theyre cute by posting... jumping on the hateful bandwagon and petting eachother...and must think others havent seen their hypocrisy concerning other political figures they worship. They whine about civility when idiots had a party over Saddam, Osama, or Gaddafi, but are doing the exact same thing concerning Thatcher.

Freedom of speech is great. One nice aside to this right is to allow idiots to spew.. so you can see them clearly.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Why would anyone want to worship her anyway? Jeez

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I have never, not once, in my whole life, been to a funeral, where everyone stood around and talked about what a crappy person the dead one was.

Have you...

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by mideast

I have never, not once, in my whole life, been to a funeral, where everyone stood around and talked about what a crappy person the dead one was.

Have you...

Des

Speaking for myself.. no, I havent. But yeah.. whole lots at the "afterparty" after Aunt Whomever's funeral potatoes and a few drinks....

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

One other reason that I think also comes into play, is that in many places it is just bad form to *speak ill of the dead*. I have heard this said many times if someone made derogatory remarks about a deceased person. Where I live it just isn't done among the older generation, and if someone slips up it is always followed with - "But I shouldn't speak ill of the dead".

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I suppose one can look at it that way. Another way to perceive it is not worship but remembrance. Remembrance is not worship although some individuals could get the two mixed up for one another, I guess.

Worshiping the dead is not exactly worshiping. It means exaggerating on the bright side like it doesn't fit while describing the dead.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Yeppers....been there done that. But that's behind closed doors, with a select group of those whipped soundly by her, when she was alive.

Not shouted on a maga-phone at her funeral....

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Ok, I understand now. I think worship was the wrong choice of words to use but I understand what you are saying. After someone passes we try to think of only the positives of that person and their life. Granted, some people may over exaggerate the positives but That could also be due to respecting the deceased.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

reply to post by mideast

Have you...

Des

As a religious man , I like to go to cemetery time to time. It is like facing the biggest and most mysterious problems of life.

In Iran , people do not prefer to talk about the dead , and if they talk they talk about bright side.

But worshiping the dead is like describing the dead like the unique angel in past and future. history will not find another person like the dead while it is not true.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
reply to post by kimish

Worshiping the dead is not exactly worshiping. It means exaggerating on the bright side like it doesn't fit while describing the dead.

You do see how using the word worship, having the avatar that you do, and then to mention the origin of Iran can lead to confusion or conflict as to what you mean, right?

Most people see those factors and attribute a notion of religion when you use the word 'worship'. We know what you're saying though... just fruit for thought.

It's like a guy wearing a rainbow flag asking people if they are gay, and actually just asking if they are happy. That's a poor example, but it's the best I could do.

Not hating, be you... please.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Advantage

Yeppers....been there done that. But that's behind closed doors, with a select group of those whipped soundly by her, when she was alive.

Not shouted on a maga-phone at her funeral....

Des

I hear you

I also figure of someone is going to make pronouncements about whats going on, they should at the very least inform themselves on the plethora of cultural customs and beliefs concerning death, particularly in the US and UK since those are the locations of the majority of folks discussing her. Within the US we have not only a bunch of cultural issues, but regional differences, religious differences, and even GENERATIONAL differences concerning death. This current generation handles death much differently than my generation.. and a huge difference between my parents and grandparents cultural handling of death.
Of course we do have those who worship the dead... but I wont get into carrying around relics and etc... and calling it something else.... in this thread anyway.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Ok, I understand now. I think worship was the wrong choice of words to use but I understand what you are saying

That is an Iranian idiom and dead worshiper is referred to the people who do what I said.

I wanted to do some intercultural communication on ATS. I think it's useful.
edit on 8-4-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I understand what you are saying. I too, like to sometimes go to a cemetery for the peaceful quiet, to reflect on issues in my own life. I don't go to talk to the dead. If they want to talk to me, they will in their own special ways.

If there was not much to be respectful about someone as a person when they were alive. Then, we act respectful for the benefit of their loved ones. There is nothing worshipful about being a decent human being.

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by mideast

Have you...

Des

People are free to say what they want about me after I'm dead. Hell, they're free to say what they want about me right now.

I warn you though if you say too many bad things about me at my funeral I'll just haunt you for the rest of your life.

edit on 8-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Perhaps in our culture being nice for the sake of being nice is out of respect for the loved ones of the deceased.
Just about every funeral has at least one mourner, wouldn't it be in poor form to speak ill of the dead in their presence? I understand (now) what your term worship was intended, but still, there's a time for mourning and a time for remembrance of the dead. Why would someone think it a good idea to say negative things about them?
I feel it costs nothing to be kind, and no one needs to suffer more by hearing otherwise.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I choose to not be a wishy washy politically correct person on this issue...hell if my own PM of my country died,I would throw a party and MOST people I know would show up.
I will not play this game of "you shouldn't ________"

I will feel the way i want to feel and will not apologize for a second for it.

To quote the great George Carlin on political correctness and being a real person....why does nobody say,I bet they are looking up at us right now?

I will not pretend to care about people who pretend to care because its the politically correct thing to do.

This is my first and only post on this subject....i have never posted anything negative but feel I should stick up for the ones who have a differing opinion on this matter and have shown their contempt....they have the right to have a different opinion then other people's opinions.

edit on 8-4-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Is this a jab at Jesus?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join