It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Camera Stabilizer Could Change Cinematography Forever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I remember watching a documentary reported on here

but unfortunately,

The documentary will air only once: October 28th, at 9pm EST.

I recall a segment regarding the opening video during credits where it was discussed how it was attempted to shoot a complicated choreographed single camera shot, and it included climbing stairs and other physical strength and stamina demands on the camera man.

The steady-cam rig worn by the camera man was like a back pack and not light.

Although it was unsuccesful; The camera man made an effort that however brutally challenging physically, gave his all and all were grateful, especially Carpenter.

The opening required one edit but proved how inginuity can create high-end visuals with lower quality equipment.

Now, a new stabilizer would not only make that effort so long ago possible, but will eliminate most of the contraptions that are used to deliver smooth action shots on the move, and gives the ability to use panning techniques that are visually amazing with little effort.

I do believe this changes everything.
New Camera Stabilizer Could Change Cinematography Forever

edit on 8-4-2013 by imd12c4funn because: rephrase wording

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Ebaumsworld is NSFW! Thanks for the warning...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

I'm not at work.
This is legit.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

I'm not at work.
This is legit.

Well that is concerning.

He is referring to other people who may open a NSFW website while they are at work.

Not you.

yikes..

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

We finally found a real use for rollerblades! lol It only took 30 years and a digital revolution...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

I'm not at work.
This is legit.

Sorry there were a few too many bikinis for my work LOL so I clicked out. Nice rig though I built a cheap one nothing like that but to give me some stability.

Here is the company freeflysystems.com...

And a much better overview of the camera stabalizer with multiple videos
edit on 8-4-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Amazing bit of kit.. but $15k .. that ain't cheap

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fisherr
Amazing bit of kit.. but $15k .. that ain't cheap

Not bad for a smaller production company but not in the range of the average movie making enthusiast.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Couldn't you do the same thing hooking 3 springs up to a bar you could hold onto and having the springs attached to the camera? Or even a hydraulic system there...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

the stabilizer is only part of the evolution in cinematography. The other part is replacing those huge old movie cameras with much smaller digital cameras, like SLR's, yet having higher quality, and if that is not enough, the SLR cameras is a lot more sensitive to light than the old film cameras, so we don't need to use the electricity of a small town just for lightning.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Very good thread. People who work with these cameras will appreciate any new tech.

For example, the guy who had to run after Tony Jaa in this epic, spaced out, crazy interesting one-shot scene. If you haven't seen it Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The built in stabilization in my Canon 60D, coupled with a good shoulder rig; I can get almost the same results in the clip you provided. Post production software can also dramatically add stabilization.

I did like the rig but seemed a bit pricey for something a DIY enthusiast could make with a few bungee chords and a couple of 1 x 2s and a gimble from Lowes. I might try making one. I have made my own dolly, jib/crane and car mount; all work fantastic and add tons of production value to my shorts, webisodes, music videos and features.

But all the trick kit don't mean a damn thing if the STORY is weak.

edit on 8-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

The portability of this device is incredible, and in terms of independent documentary film making, it could absolutely change everything. Compared to what I was having to use when I was making documentaries for my degree some 18 years ago, it is truly mind-blowing. 15K may seem a lot, but to a university it isn't really that much of an outlay, or to a hire company...as soon as those guys start buying up these devices, then it won't be long before it becomes available second-hand, and so on and so forth.

It may be easy enough for some people to fabricate something similar themselves, but not to me...or to many others who just want to get out there and make films. I like this a lot.

Thanks for posting OP.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hmm,.
well lets just hope no one films a UFO with this system,. wouldnt want
a clear non shaky undeniable video..

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
that one that "only aired october" is available on the 2 popular torrent sites

downloaded it, great little documentary, I had seen the others before and the single shot karate flick scene up the stairs was awesome how it was done.

for a 1080p version on youtube without going to ebaumsworld
edit on 4/8/2013 by Cito because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

That scene... started it all. That movie started a new era. Like Black Sabbath gave birth to metal. Now it's corny and all...

You should have been there.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

the stabilizer is only part of the evolution in cinematography. The other part is replacing those huge old movie cameras with much smaller digital cameras, like SLR's, yet having higher quality, and if that is not enough, the SLR cameras is a lot more sensitive to light than the old film cameras, so we don't need to use the electricity of a small town just for lightning.

====

This is freakin' awesome!
We've got Canon 5D's with some Canon C3002k/C5004k coming soon
so I have no problem with that $15k price tag...It shows how much
stuff has dropped in price. Our 5D setups was less than $12k when
we bought them but especially remember a time when Sony Digital Betacam
cameras STARTED at $55,000 and went on up from there after you added the
$12,000 Fujinon lenses. I also remember a time when a multi-axis Gyroscopically
stabilized WESCAM system was $600,000 so this DSLR stability system
is a REALLY BIG DEAL!!!!

---

I want THREE of these Movi's So I can put them on our drone!
for a 6000 pixel by 1080 pixel wide panoramic movie.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

So true, so true. For a few thousand nearly anyone can go out and film the next "Barry Lyndon". The super wide shots are gonna take one hell of a good lens though. That said, we can nail the candle light scene. Nevertheless, we shall forever be encumbered with the caveat that content is king.

ETA: whoops, did i say film? We can lay down some mighty fine solid state zeroes and ones.
Geesh, no film?
edit on 8-4-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Very good thread. People who work with these cameras will appreciate any new tech.

For example, the guy who had to run after Tony Jaa in this epic, spaced out, crazy interesting one-shot scene. If you haven't seen it Enjoy!

Good scene although the sound effects leave something to be desired. It actually made me feel a little nauseous because it gives the sensation I'm floating in a boat.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Whats wrong with rollerblading.

I found a use for Rollerblades 18 years ago.

This camera tech is getting better and better. can't wait until a camera can see thru a door.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join