It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 25% of Canadian nurses wouldn't recommend their hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I put this in US Political Madness because American Liberals always talk about Canada's great and awesome healthcare service that is "Free".

MODS, if you feel this is not the correct section please feel free to move.

Burnout plagues about 40% of respondents

Nearly a quarter of nurses wouldn't recommend the hospital where they work to their family or friends, a survey by CBC News has found.

The startling figure comes from an online poll that CBC's flagship investigative show, the fifth estate, distributed to registered nurses across the country as part of Rate My Hospital, a sweeping series about health care.
Twenty-four per cent of respondents to the survey distributed through nursing associations and unions said they definitely would not or probably would not recommend their hospital to loved ones

"I'm very disappointed that nurses can’t recommend their facilities, the places where they work, to their loved ones," said Ontario Nurses' Association vice-president Andy Summers. "When they look around them and they realize that they couldn’t recommend that facility, it tells me that they're recognizing how dire their practice is."

www.cbc.ca...

Free healthcare guys, stand up in line and wait your turn for free care.
You'll have to wait a while though, but it's free sub-par care, see you in 7hrs or so.

This is what happens when the public sector offers healthcare, less care.
Higher costs(tax/inflation) and lower quality of service.

Please stop promoting this nonsense.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The primary problem listed in the article was staffing shortages. There is a shortage of nurses everywhere, not just in government-run healthcare. I bet you could do a survey of nurses here in America, and you would get the same response.

Countries around the world are facing critical nursing shortages. From North America to Africa and Europe, communities are challenged with growing health care needs and diminishing numbers of nurses.

www.nursingsociety.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

90% of the issues related in that article in the .org website you supplied are almost all "Public Care" symptoms.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Nearly 25%, means that over 75% are good. Considering there's a hospital in every tiny little community, that's not bad. As long as our large hospitals are good - the ones we get airlifted to if we're badly injured (or taken by ambulance), all is good.

If a hospital in one direction is sub par, then we go to another one. There's at least 3 hospitals within half hour of me, and I'm rural. One of them is very good. An hour away, by ambulance, is another very good one. Air lifting to that one would probably be 20 minutes. That's how they deal with a lot of the vehicle accidents.

Emergency care, like strokes and heart attacks, major accidents, and similar, don't have wait times.

I do wish our ambulances were cheaper though, they're not free.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Nearly 25%, means that over 75% are good.

No it doesn't mean that.
Think about it

Originally posted by snowspirit Ambulances, they're not free.

Nothing is free!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I read it wrong.
25% of nurses, likely from ALL hospitals. My bad.

It's a crap shoot, for sure.
Budget cutbacks, shortages of both doctors and nurses, and a more recent problem, plaguing all of North America, is the superbugs that take an especially lengthy cleaning routine that no one has the time for.

I also saw a documentary on the US system, and there's big problems there too. Operations and prescriptions for profit, lead to many unnecessary operations and over medicating. Doctors don't get paid to recommend a healthy lifestyle, so many don't. They get paid better for unhealthy patients.

It would be nice if both systems were better, they've had enough time to figure it out.

They're big on prevention up here, tell us to stock up on vitamin D every flu season, exercise, and make sure we know the latest "superfoods".
I wish those healthy foods were cheaper.

It's important to stay out of hospitals everywhere, if possible. Hospitals can make you very sick.

Even though we don't pay out of pocket (yes, system is from taxes), I don't go to the doctor much other than annual check up. You're never sick or dying, until a doctor tells you that you are (if you feel healthy)....

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
If a hospital in one direction is sub par, then we go to another one. There's at least 3 hospitals within half hour of me, and I'm rural. One of them is very good. An hour away, by ambulance, is another very good one. Air lifting to that one would probably be 20 minutes. That's how they deal with a lot of the vehicle accidents.

You have to understand that, here in America, we're told that we'd lose our choice of which hospitals to go to under the Canadian system. Rational people understand what a silly argument that is, it's still an argument that's made though.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Coming to a US hospital near you.......

S&F

new topics

top topics

join