It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misconceptions about God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hello, I feel I must share this quote with the community. We must wake up to our misconceptions about God. And, we must stop pretending we know God better than He knows us. What are we really entitled to?

"God is never under obligation to be gracious. See, justice and mercy are two separate categories, and God is the one who chooses which way He'll have His glory." -Shai Linne

Perfect love or perfect justice. That's it. The cross is important because it is the intersection of perfect love and perfect justice. Without them, the idea of a "perfect holiness" becomes hollow.

Feel free to share what you think are other common misconceptions about God. Biblically-sound ideas are preferred, but don't be afraid to speak your mind either.
edit on 4/8/2013 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The misconceptions abound.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
What's the one that really grinds your gears?

In b4 generic atheist joke

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
'Biblically sound', and 'misconceptions' is a match made in heaven...

A99

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I say throw your bibles on the pile, and focus on humans, you know, here on earth.

your god is doing a pethetic job. Why bother with the stupid fool. He does nothing but expect your praise and in return you get life.

Sounds like a jail term, to me, where you kiss the wardens ass and thank him for that pleasure.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Misconception about which god are we talking about?
All major, and minor, religions have their own intepretation of who and what God is.

Personally, I do believe in a divine Creator, but I will never let anyone tell me what to believe about his/her nature.
I am satisfied knowing I have been blessed with consciousness to experience the Universe and life within it.
edit on 8-4-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
I say throw your bibles on the pile, and focus on humans, you know, here on earth.

The ancient Hebrews are pretty cool humans to read about. I'm glad you're not my local librarian.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ABeing
All major, and minor, religions have their own intepretation of who and what God is.

Personally, I do believe in a divine Creator, but I will never let anyone tell me what to believe about his/her nature.
I am satisfied knowing I have been blessed with consciousness to experience the Universe and life within it.

I was directing the question specifically towards Christians, but anyone is welcome to answer if they are convinced they have a connection to the divine. It doesn't mean we're going to believe every word, but there is an absolute truth and historical facts. I don't want to take the option of listening to others' testimony off the table. When Paul and Barnabas began their ministry, some of the Romans thought they were Hermes and Zeus, but that didn't make it true.

I guess what I am asking here is to take a step back and reflect.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
One of the biggest misconceptions, if not the biggest, is that a loving and just God would torture humans forever in a place called "Hell" for the temporal sins of a single lifetime. The precious Truth is that God's love and justice was to send His Own Son to pay the penalty for the sins of all, in order to make the redemption of all possible. In that way, God becomes All in All, having defeated the last enemy Death, after which defeat, no one can then be dead and in Hell. Any punishments meted out are therefore corrective, transformative, and temporal.

Whole books have been written detailing this, but the above is my summation.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

True. There are some accounts from the Bible that have been proven to have taken place but some that never can be regardless of how thorough the research is as they often transcend the physical dimension of reality.

I do believe however there are some mysteries referenced in the Bible that have been discovered to be true but have been "swept under the rug" because of various agendas.
But evidence could also have been fabricated, so I can never be sure however.

But yes, my oppinion is too that there are several misconceptions about God, the Creator, in most religious texts written by man.

Interesting talk by the way!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21

Probably the complete lack of understanding how holy and righteous He is. Or a refusal to grant that He is sovereign over all He created.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

your god is doing a pethetic job. Why bother with the stupid fool. He does nothing but expect your praise and in return you get life.

Sounds like a jail term, to me, where you kiss the wardens ass and thank him for that pleasure.

Life is beautiful is it not?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

True. There are some accounts from the Bible that have been proven to have taken place but some that never can be regardless of how thorough the research is as they often transcend the physical dimension of reality.

If something happens, it is true. It becomes reality. If the miraculous events all happened as written in scripture then who am I to argue that they couldn't happen again? Thomas Jefferson once said that meteors were impossible, that they transcend reality. I would say that some things simply transcend our current perception of reality. In other words, we're still behind the veil, despite what some doomsayers and fear mongers would say.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I was directing the question specifically towards Christians, but anyone is welcome to answer if they are convinced they have a connection to the divine. It doesn't mean we're going to believe every word, but there is an absolute truth and historical facts. I don't want to take the option of listening to others' testimony off the table. When Paul and Barnabas began their ministry, some of the Romans thought they were Hermes and Zeus, but that didn't make it true.

I think you're referring to Acts 14, where they thought Barnabas was Apollo and Paul was Poseidon.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Probably the complete lack of understanding how holy and righteous He is. Or a refusal to grant that He is sovereign over all He created.

Amen,

well said.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I think you're referring to Acts 14, where they thought Barnabas was Apollo and Paul was Poseidon.

From my understanding its Hermes and Zeus (though its rather arbitrary
) but it does make sense. Paul was a good speaker, so he could have been perceived as the messenger god Hermes, while Barnabas was thought to be the leader/mentor figure.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

If something happens, it is true. It becomes reality. If the miraculous events all happened as written in scripture then who am I to argue that they couldn't happen again? Thomas Jefferson once said that meteors were impossible, that they transcend reality. I would say that some things simply transcend our current perception of reality. In other words, we're still behind the veil, despite what some doomsayers and fear mongers would say.

Of that I have no doubt. I had no idea Jefferson had stated that! Thanks for the information!

I completely agree. I would feel ashamed of myself if I claimed to know the ultimate truth of reality and I always smile when people state that science has proven this or that and that thus it is nothing else than real, despite the fact that new scientific discoveries in basically every field are constantly being made.

History is definitely one of those fields. Göbekli Tepe is a prime example of how little we really know about our ancient past

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I think the biggest misconception is about conceptions.

People seem to think that conceptions of God are either true or false, and that its important to have a true one. As if a true conception is possible... as if a religion can be true in that regard where others are false.

Sooner or later people have to transcend conceptions, thoughts, social binaries and taboo.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

People seem to think that conceptions of God are either true or false, and that its important to have a true one. As if a true conception is possible... as if a religion can be true in that regard where others are false.

Sooner or later people have to transcend conceptions, thoughts, social binaries and taboo.

Is it conceivable that God could reveal truth about Himself?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

Forget religion, facts and numbers speak for themselves. You might be interested in the first video I posted at about 1:30. It presents a mathematical and logically compelling case for the fulfillment of over 300 OT prophecies in Christ.

Likelihood of someone fulfilling 8 out of of 300+ Messianic prophecies: 1x10^17
Likelihood of someone fulfilling 48 out of of 300+ Messianic prophecies: 1x10^157

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join