It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Former prime minister Baroness Thatcher dies peacefully at the age of 87 after suffer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

What about the "Save It" stickers on every light switch in schools, Govt buildings etc, that sparked a lifelong need for me to leave every light in the place burning

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin "she was a wife, a mother a daughter and to many a friend and role model."

baloney. this woman single-handedly destroyed my town and thousands like it. screw her and any 'respect' for her or her family. they are scum too. so happy she died. cheers! role model? maybe for dictators.

Don't forget, the Labour party pretty much drove Britain into bankruptcy which was the main reason the conservatives were thrust into power in the first place.

So you may not have liked her conservative policies, she was basically a female version of Reagan, and admittedly, her way of governing was not conducive to European politics as a whole, she did at least reverse the downward spiral that Britain was finding itself in.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I am going to repost what I said on the other thread with a few add ons

I too am old enough to have voted for her on all 3 occasions...I didn't, I didn't vote at all. I am also old enough to remember the misserable and awful '70's. Doing my homework around a victorian parafin lamp! Probably the reason why we ended up with the 'new' Labour that Blair declared.

I could be wrong, but I have a suspicion that the majority of the people spouting vitriolic defacation on this womans grave aren't old enough to have voted for her and her party. The fact she got into power 3 times shows that they were/are in the minority.

Her debates at prime ministers question time in the House with Neil Kinnock were epic. She got as good as she gave, and for me personally only proved that there is only a cigarette paper between all political parties at the end of the day.

Religion and politics in my view, are the worst two systems we as humanity stand guilty of establishing and perpetrating to the advantage of only the few.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
And I also remember the 70's under the previous Labour govt...what a mess, the three day weeks,

It was Ted Heath (Conservative) that introduced the 3 day week.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I would like to argue that Maggie was the greatest leader Britain has ever had, I know what so many people feel about her but what ever you think of her politics we are all Thatcher's children weather you like it or not.

We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs with every different decision she made. But the legacy left behind is undoubtedly a greater country that gave us 20 years of growth and prosperity during 90s and 00s. The country is unrecognizable from the 70s when Thatcher got power and would anyone really what to go back to that.

I understand some things she did put people out of work but I would argue that trade unions made matters 10 times worse for the workers by demanding too much. Let's face it only an idiot would keep a business running that is losing money and Thatcher was the only brave politician to close it down.

Thatcher improved the lives of millions they just don't know it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I think she had a witty way with words; here are some quotes by her:

"If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.
Margaret Thatcher

Link: www.brainyquote.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by zerozero00

So you're celebrating the death of this woman? Interesting.

How about tell us why once you've come back from your happy dance.

She was a woman of courage and a pioneer in her time. Even if you don't agree with what she did or didn't do - she deserves a modicum of respect.

peace
Try growing up in Thatchers Britian and see how much respect you have for her.

I am a Northerner too and my family and friends suffered extremely at the hands of the Tory Gvt during the Thatcher years. AND NO, none of them were involved in unions or whatsoever, just honest down to earth working class people trying to scrape enough together to feed their kids!

This will always be a thorn in the side to many people whos poor families were torn apart by what she and her Gvt did to make the rich richer and the poor people poorer

However, she has died and i hope that she did not suffer and i wish for her to rest in peace as i am sure many people who are posting here would wish for if this was one of their family members who had passed away.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian

As someone who lived through the Thatcher years

Who saw first hand the decimation of the working class

The complete destruction of the manufacturing sector

Not to mention the war against the minors which lead to 100% unemployment in many mining communities

The sinking of the Belgrano when it was running away

The collapse of community and the start of the every man for him self society

The Hillsborough cover up

And more

I can say that i for one will not miss the woman

But i can not find joy in the death of another human being

Even if she barley qualifies as a human

I do have a problem with my tax's paying for a state funeral for her.

HUman beings are nothing but an endless cycle... we are born we live we die we rot we become something else.
You shouldnt feel bad about her death... just come to the conclusion that she is and move on.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Is this what passes as news** today? Shes was 86 year old, NO one gives a flying crap.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I fully expect to see the Thatcher hairdo make a comeback in the following weeks.

I've already made my appointment.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onami
I am from a small valleys town that used to have a thriving coal industry, now it is all unemployment.

This is only a small consolation but I'm going to celebrate!

I am wearing my Union Jack earings already!

Lets all do the conga, lets all do the conga....

To be honest, I don't have a strong opinion on Thatcher, but I'm always intrigued by the mines thing. I come from a town like yours, but on the other side of the country. It's a pretty poor and humble place too, but instead of a mine we have fields to grow crops.

If the coal being pulled out of the ground at your end is worth less than it costs to dig out and give everyone involved a living wage - and this goes on for years - why should the relatively poor folk from my town (most being farm workers, not owners) contribute to subsidising your mine because it's no longer viable as a business? Why should their money be used to pay over the odds for your coal because you can't dig it cheap enough?

If our fields went barren for some reason, I doubt your town would be sending us money.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

You misunderstand

It's not that i'm sad about her death

I just can't feel joy at a bearley human's death.
edit on 8-4-2013 by marvinthemartian because: oops dyslexic

edit on 8-4-2013 by marvinthemartian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by petdog82
I would like to argue that Maggie was the greatest leader Britain has ever had, I know what so many people feel about her but what ever you think of her politics we are all Thatcher's children weather you like it or not.

We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs with every different decision she made. But the legacy left behind is undoubtedly a greater country that gave us 20 years of growth and prosperity during 90s and 00s. The country is unrecognizable from the 70s when Thatcher got power and would anyone really what to go back to that.

I understand some things she did put people out of work but I would argue that trade unions made matters 10 times worse for the workers by demanding too much. Let's face it only an idiot would keep a business running that is losing money and Thatcher was the only brave politician to close it down.

Thatcher improved the lives of millions they just don't know it.

This is a great reply and my feelings exactly.
She was a great leader even if you don't agree with her policies, and her tough stance on the Falklands was incredible. I for one hopes she rests in peace.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
My life experience suggests Labour spend too much and destroy the economy, Conservatives come in and rescue
it and as the economy improves and prosperity rises the people vote for Labour so most can get a free lunch until
the economy implodes again.

Like a great man of noble distinction said while fending off a army of a thousand barbarians with one hand while
playing 'Subway Surf' on his Iphone " when you have nothing you vote Labour .
As you contribute to society you vote Conservative.
And when you see the light you become a Libertarian
and don't vote at all."

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I had great respect for her,i admired her spirited nature,whatever her political decisions.My condolences to her children and loved ones.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
RIP, Iron Lady.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
33 years to late.

Now can I have the milk back?
edit on 8-4-2013 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I just think the fact that the French admired her, as a strong, resolute leader is enough for me. Our status with Europe at that time was high, now it is at rock bottom, with the French almost laughing at us.

Of course she made errors, name any leader who hasn't, but the UK needed some unpleasant decisions to be made, unfortunately it fell to her to voice them.

Shame the leaders since her have not had the balls she had, so that we grew in stature rather than sank lower and lower.

Even Reagan was in awe of her, well did what she wanted. Think the US is now in awe of the UK? Now they say and we meekly follow.

OK that's enraged enough people. Sorry, to be honest I am a bit ambivalent about all Politicians these days, but I do hope she will rest in peace.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I just got up and heard this sad news. Really sad to see someone who was an inspiration to you dies suddenly. But it was understandable since her old age. God bless her and her family.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Rust In Peace Iron Lady!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join