It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I changed my mind..Especially with Pharamacy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Manhater

The Pharmacist in the local town is way overworked. There are so many people eating meds these days. The pay of the job isn't worth the stress, the pharmacist spends most of her time doing work on the computer and checking the pills that the assistant puts in the bottles. I remember when a pharmacists job was a good job.
-

You just said it best, way back then.

Now, everyone acts like there going to die if they don't get it that second.

If one keeps pressuring, they are going to die.

Is it worth it?

In reality, the person who will be blamed and fined, is the Pharmacy Tech. Not the pharmacist. And it's hefty fine.

One that I don't want to be responsible for.

Simple as that.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, manhater, and give you the view from the other side of the counter:

Many pharmacies say "It'll be ready in a hour".....so people come back in an hour and it's not ready. They sit and wait, and another hour or so goes by. If the pharmacist is that over-loaded with scripts to fill, he or she should give a much longer time estimate, because people have things to do. A lot of people have prescriptions that have to be taken daily, and how much time do they have to piddle around and try to second-guess when it'll be ready?

Another problem I have seen is, people will turn in a prescription, and then come back hours later to get it, only to be told it isn't ready because the insurance won't pay for it. Well, why doesn't the pharmacy call the patient and let them know this, so they can either deal with their insurance, or with their doctor for a comparable Rx? I know y'all are busy, but this is customer service.

Then I have seen pharmacists and techs who are just rude and nasty. Yes they have a high pressure job, but if they cannot handle it, then do something else. Treating people like they're a bother, or an addict, is NOT their job. To be judged by some tech who doesn't even know you is an irritating and demeaning experience.

Admittedly, the pharmacies in the larger cities that are part of a chain are worse. The little pharmacies in the small towns where I live are much nicer, their only problem being that the techs cannot do math and struggle with simple ideas like how many pills times how many days equals total amount in bottle.

As for patients, ALWAYS check your pills in your bottle online, just type in "pill identification" and you'll come up with several sites that will ID the pill for you so you are certain that you got the right one. A little bit of effort will ensure that you are not taking something that could really harm you, or a dosage that is not right for you.
edit on 6-4-2013 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
OP....I understand.

I was in pharmacy, too. Worked my way through college and grad school as a tech, then decided to go ahead and get the pharmd degree.

Changed my mind though, and went back to teaching (my first year teaching was so horrible, I vowed to never teach again and that's why I went back to pharmacy school).

What you need to do is sit down and make a list of the pros and cons of the job. If your cons outweigh your pros, then chances are you aren't going to be happy in that career and you should get out now. I know for me, working in the pharmacy became like working on an assembly line. I found it boring beyond belief. Now, a job working in a hospital or counseling patients would have been more my speed....could you consider that as a potential career?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'll reply when I get back.

Got to go back to work to get yelled at some more.

Have a good day all.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Dont take it so personal. Those people treating you bad (if ever and whenever) are the ones with problems, you can only do the best you can do. Dont let them affect you negatively. You know what you need to do and can do. What degree is CJ?

And also whats the big deal with pharmacist and pharmacy tech? They take a persons doctor note, order from a drug company what the doctor prescribed, the drug company sends the prescription, the pharmacist puts the persons prescription in a bag, person comes, gives the person bag for money. Anything else too it?
edit on 6-4-2013 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I married into a multi-generational pharmacist family.
One of the grandkids graduated pharmacy school, worked in a large chain, now works at home for an insurance company certifying meds and stuff like that - not a great use of her pharmacists license, but meaningful work, in the industry she trained, and a relatively stress free environment.

IF you'd like to stay in pharmacy, I STRONGLY suggest you apply for and find work in a HOSPITAL - their pharmacists NEVER deal with the public, unless they have a small retail shop - but that's not where the work gets done - the pharmacists that service hospital patients don't work in the retail shop.

Back when we had a military draft, one could do alternate service (contientious objector) by working in public hospital pharmacy - that's why I'm recommending working in a hospital pharmacy, it's an easy job when you don't have retail customers. G'luck.

ganjoa

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I can understand the frustration of dealing with the "I want it now" attitude. But you have to realize that most people are only using the pharmacy because they have an ailment that needs medication. For them, fast service means relief. It is easy to get testy when you are suffering.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I definitely won't be working in a store. There's lots of things to do with a Pharm D.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Sorry to be so blunt.. but wtf are you talking about.. You had to wait to long for your meds?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I have a friend that's a pharmacist. He ended working in a hospital pharmacy instead of a drug store. He said you to fill a lot more prescriptions at a drug store than you do in a hospital. The trade-off is, you have to be prepared to give prescriptions at a moments notice if a person's life is at stake.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Yeah, I totally agree with you on that. I've seen some nasty technicians where they were with the above all attitude and frankly I'm surprised he hasn't fired yet with the way he talks to patients. But you are right.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

There is way more too it then just that. I wish it was that easy.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

There is way more too it then just that. I wish it was that easy.

What else is there too it? I genuinely asking, I dont know much about it. You dont have to go into detail, but maybe just a few statements or sentence or two other things they have to do, so I know.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
If there was an assemply line it would go much faster but they are way too understaffed at the moment. You take the script, you put in the computer, then you have put the insurance information in, then you have to get it printed, then you have to fill it, then it passes through the pharmacist. But because they are so understaffed, there's not much time to do it that way when people become demanding and you keep stopping every 5 seconds. Etc..

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
If there was an assemply line it would go much faster but they are way too understaffed at the moment. You take the script, you put in the computer, then you have put the insurance information in, then you have to get it printed, then you have to fill it, then it passes through the pharmacist. But because they are so understaffed, there's not much time to do it that way when people become demanding and you keep stopping every 5 seconds. Etc..

I see. Its not your fault they are understaffed, you can only go as fast as you can. If people stop you or complain, just smile and say, "im going as fast as I can, you stopping me to talk to me is only making it take longer, I will be with you when Im ready, thanks"... Kill people with kindness, dont let them get under your skin.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

trust me, that never works. The pharmacist said that and is now stepping down. Which I feel bad. She's a nice person and like her.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I saved someone the other day.

And I am proud of it.

No one caught it but me.

Be thankful, you got your medications.

Think anyone cares?

Not my job.

Your welcome.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join