It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Ohio courts illegally jailing the poor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Several courts in Ohio are illegally jailing people because they are too poor to pay their debts and often deny defendants a hearing to determine if they're financially capable of paying what they owe, according to an investigation released Thursday by the Ohio chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The ACLU likens the problem to modern-day debtors' prisons. Jailing people for debt pushes poor defendants farther into poverty and costs counties more than the actual debt because of the cost of arresting and incarcerating individuals, the report said.

Among the report's findings:

— In the second half of last year, more than one in every five of all bookings in the Huron County jail — originating from Norwalk Municipal Court cases — involved a failure to pay fines.

It's a racket.

It is a way for the courts and police to justify their jobs.

Show up late for a traffic ticket arraignment, which means you are taking time off in order to fight the ticket, and a bench warrant is issued in CA. It is down right dirty the way these municipal courts treat people.

Safety violations should not be treated as a crime. Especially as the list of safety violation laws are growing at exponential rates.

The article points out that a Supreme court decision has already determined that this is illegal.

Just another example of the growth of the police state.

edit on 4/6/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Please use EX tags for external content, not quotes.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
More and more prisons are privately owned corporations. Costs the State nothing and the State actually makes money from having more people in prison.

It's beginning to be the norm for the US as they have more people in prison than all other Countries combined.

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have to agree that our penal system in America has got to be the worst. I think if no one loses life or property it should automatically be just a safety violation that you pay or work off, no possibility of jail or prison time. So we can afford to put violent criminals in jail and not let them out just so we have room to house an 80 year old j walker.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. Perhaps it's by design.

History books: Industrial revolution. Wealthy elite, tiny middle class, massive number of 'working class', massive number of poor. Poor laws. Workhouses (think privately owned jails). Massive ecological damage caused by industry. 'Corporate' empire building. War. Good for business, but not the poor. Corporations like it that way.

Yep. Read some Dickens and spot the similarities.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

It has always been that way where I live (Texas). Don't pay your ticket? Go to jail. Don't show up to court? Go to jail plus a Capias Pro Fine tacked on to your tab. The only time I ever went to jail two DPS officers came to my house at night and arrested me for an unpaid traffic ticket. Thank goodness I had showed up to court or there would have been an even bigger fine.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

It is that way here in CA as well, and a whole lot of other states, and it should be changed.

That is not justice, it is the policies of a totalitarian state.

It is one of those ways the U.S. has remained backwards.

And this days it is getting worse, especially will the growing numbers of safety laws.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
well.. its what everyone middle class and lower will be subject to in camps here soon.. your spot is already reserved at guantanamo bay. pretty relative to jailing the poor.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Ohio you got to love it, or leave it.

POLICING FOR PROFIT.....................

Here's part 2, 19,000 tickets in 9 months $2,000,000,

www.fox19.com... wood-officials-face-criminal-charges-over-speed-cams
edit on 5-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My cop friends tell me this story: some homeless guys will committ a petty crime during the cold months to get locked up for the winter.

This isn't the same thing, but I'm wondering how much of the court sentencing is doing this with that concept in mind.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
where is the link to the article?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
More and more prisons are privately owned corporations. Costs the State nothing and the State actually makes money from having more people in prison.

It's beginning to be the norm for the US as they have more people in prison than all other Countries combined.

Peace

You are 100% correct. And this is how you take blood from a stone. You can't collect taxes from the homeless guy living on the street, so you make it illegal to be homeless and force the other people to pay more to house them in their cage.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Dupe.

Here it goes:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Jailing humans is profitable - at least for the pubic employee unions and their members. Many of whom become lobbyist or legislators themselves to push for more and stricter laws in order to grow their soul crushing enterprise.

Schools take attendance because that's how they get paid. Jails are exactly the same and there are small fees that the arresting agency gets for arresting you and dropping you off at the jail - a bounty.

In my state not paying fines means a suspended license eventually and that can lead to arrest if you are caught driving. With the new plate scanners in police vehicles they flag your car and either pull you over or print your picture and search the immediate area if you are parked. Instead of driving to your address they just scan thousands of cars a shift and take as many to jail as they can.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
ive seen alot of the bs in ohio courts first hand. ive seen friends given 30 days for speeding tickets and such. when i was 18 and made the stupid decision to steal a candybar. i got sentenced 90 day's for an item that cost a dollar which is a huge waste to tax payers money.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness123

Oops, I forgot to include the link.

www.google.com...

I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted this.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Twas EVER THUS
why act surprised

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I live in Ohio and I can say with total honesty that I really dislike the justice system here.

My only "record" is for running a red light back in 2001. (If you blink at this intersection, you'll miss the yellow light).

First ticket in five decades of life and it cost me $350.00!

I wasn't speeding, it was raining as well and I was being tailgated by another vehicle. The cop even admitted that in court.

I stand by my decision to run the light as I prevented an accident, rather than being rear-ended.

If your poor in Ohio, the justice system will shaft you for the most minor of violations.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
private jails....a couple of articles..a bit old but

ohioprisonwatch.blogspot.com...
and

www.huffingtonpost.com...

they have to keep more people locked up ..incarceration = profit

america..land of the...free?

and a newer article...www.huffingtonpost.com...

The has been no word as to potential repercussions as a result of the violations. In the interim CCA is currently seeking to purchase a second prison from the state of Ohio, with the promise of 90% occupancy over 20-30 years.

they 'promise' 90% occupancy??!?
edit on 6-4-2013 by clearmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

This has been going on for a long time! And I suspect all over the country , or I assumed it was the same.

They (the courts) hide behind a technicality, they do not jail you for being poor, but for “contempt of court”

So if your late on payments, or simply cant pay the amount due , a warrant is issued, which last time I had one was an additional $40, then you show up they cancel the warrant, you have to see the judge, which then additional court costs are added on to the original fines! Or they put you in jail with the original debt being owed plus all the new fee’s.

I have plenty of good stories to share on this same matter, but Ill pass for now, I really hope this gets some attention and fixed, same with jailing and removing drivers licenses for child support, which can net you prison time.
It’s all corrupt to me!

edit on 6-4-2013 by Sippy Cup because: removed a word

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 6-4-2013 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join