It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I'm sure most have seen the Dynamic Dog devolved by Boston Dynamics? Well heres a new vid they've just uploaded

The PETMAN robot was developed by Boston Dynamics with funding from the DoD CBD program. It is used to test the performance of protective clothing designed for hazardous environments. The video shows initial testing in a chemical protection suit and gas mask. PETMAN has sensors embedded in its skin that detect any chemicals leaking through the suit. The skin also maintains a micro-climate inside the clothing by sweating and regulating temperature.

Freaky
They could be used for anything

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

omg, i feel sick,,, too human..

still incredible,,,

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm concerned that they have what appear to be restraining wires on it. And that they don't quite look strong enough.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
"manpet" sounds cooler

he should consider getting a public relations advisor

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
"Petman tests minigun"

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Now this is what I call awesome. I have to look more into this and how it will affect people.
Thanks for sharing!

XL5

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
If you can't get the police and military to fire on the public, get the bots to do it! All they need now is for it to goose step.

I would rather a creepy sex bot made by Japan over this.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well, it's neat. Looks like it already has a current use as a dynamic mannikin for testing the range of mobility in evaluating various uniform gear. Might be better than just subjective evaluation, because you can put sensors on a bot that'll detect things people might not be as touchy about. Not to mention a robot is consistent as it wont get bored and tired while doing repetitive motions all day to test clothing.

But something like this could also be used as a distraction, if it can be mobile without external power. Makes sense given the current level of AI. Throw in some bots as cannon fodder if some situation looks hinky. Either an IED goes off with nobody dying, or perhaps you locate the snipers while only the bot takes a hit. Covered in heavy and awkward uniform gear (like the chem/bio suit shown or body armor), it really doesn't seem that far from being convincing in terms of human movement.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
I'm concerned that they have what appear to be restraining wires on it. And that they don't quite look strong enough.

hehheh. They have them on you, too, you just can't see them.
fifth.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I still don't know why they haven't used simulated environments to fine tune situational and spatial awareness.

Creativity machines have proven the ability to program realistic movement rapidly by running millions of successive theoretical models with selective traits.

top topics

join