It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let The Music Play: Cicadas To Invade Tri-State Area For Month-Long Stay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Let The Music Play: Cicadas To Invade Tri-State Area For Month-Long Stay

newyork.cbslocal.com

“In places where they’re going to be present, it’s going to be spectacular. There could be as many as one billion cicadas emerging per square mile,” Michael Raupp, a professor of Entomology at the University of Maryland, told 1010 WINS. “This is really a spectacular opportunity for children, for adults, for students to go out and learn about one of Mother Nature’s rarest, most interesting events.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Expert: There Could Be A Billion of the Noisy Insects per Square Mile. All I can say is...WOW!

Those in New York State and the surrounding areas, get ready to have your sleep disrupted. These are some extremely noisy insects. They’ve always reminded me of the Phasers on Star Trek when the Enterprise was trying to penetrate the crust of some planet.

It’ll be enough to drive one….buggy! Pun intended.

newyork.cbslocal.com

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Feel bad for you if you live in the area. All it takes is one of those suckers to keep you awake all night. Seems like every summer we get at least one inside the house and it takes days to find it. Why can't they make racket during the daytime? I have enough problems getting to sleep without a cicada serenade! Aaaaarrrgh!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thankfully I don't live that area, but I am close.

I can see if this would happen to me though, I would capture every Cicada I could and slip them into Professor Raupps home. Then, he can tell me how interesting it is.

edit on 4-4-2013 by TDawgRex because: Time for a beer

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Expert: There Could Be A Billion of the Noisy Insects per Square Mile. All I can say is...WOW!

Those in New York State and the surrounding areas, get ready to have your sleep disrupted. These are some extremely noisy insects. They’ve always reminded me of the Phasers on Star Trek when the Enterprise was trying to penetrate the crust of some planet.

It’ll be enough to drive one….buggy! Pun intended.

newyork.cbslocal.com

Well that's odd. I've only heard them singing during the day and never at night. Out here in the desert southwest, the hotter it is, the louder they sing.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos40

Well that's odd. I've only heard them singing during the day and never at night. Out here in the desert southwest, the hotter it is, the louder they sing.

I live in SE Texas near LA and they start going off around dusk and dont stop until daylight for the majority of the summer- and it's almost always summer! I have a few in my outside laundry room which is unfortunately on the other side of the wall from my bedroom and they have been in action the past few nights, and it's not even hot yet!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

Up here in Ohio, you hear them to a degree in the daylight. But it's a frikkin' concert at night. Kinda of like having Motley Crue playin' the same song and nothing but, over and over for a month.

Thankfully they don't have laser and pyro as well.

Rock on!

edit on 4-4-2013 by TDawgRex because: I actually like Motley Crue.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I live in SE Texas near LA and they start going off around dusk and dont stop until daylight for the majority of the summer- and it's almost always summer! I have a few in my outside laundry room which is unfortunately on the other side of the wall from my bedroom and they have been in action the past few nights, and it's not even hot yet!

I've heard there are different generations of cicadas that emerge from sleep. I wonder if each one is a different species? The noise they make can be deafening. The only time I heard them at night is where they give out a chirp if they are disturbed by a cat and fly away.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

Yes, there are different species. They all have different cycles in which they come out. I know there was one cicada that was probably in the numbers you're talking about in the early '80s and they were covering the streets down in Rockville, MD being smashed by cars passing by. The sidewalks were plastered with them too. You couldn't walk down the street without them swarming you, it was intense. They had these bright red eyes.

Normal cicadas that you see every year don't have any particular markings that I can see, but there are at least one species that comes out every year. The funny thing is, I have really bad tinnitis that sounds exactly like cicadas and have had it for several years now. It's loud and I think I hear them in the middle of the winter. Sometimes I'll mention to my wife how loud the cicadas are and she'll remind me that it's winter and there are no cicadas out now... I try to tune it out and can do it most days, but it will drive you mad, trust me.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I disagree.. I always found the song of cicadas relaxing...

To be honest that sound puts me to sleep.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

That is absolutely NOT what one sounds like when it's hiding in your house.
I fall to sleep easier listening to the hubby "sawing logs" in his sleep!

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I haven't recovered from the last time!!!!
Here you needed a tennis racket to get from your front door to the car. The miracle of nature DOES NOT include welts on your face from these dive-bombing menaces!!!! Plus the little hatchlings destroyed some of my ornamental trees....sap sucking little devils....

the only upside they have is they make great cat toys....

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
.....we're JUST.SO.SCREWED.
I lost a really nice ornamental willow tree due to this....the catkin kind....it was AWFUL.

www.cicadamania.com...

This Too...
extension.psu.edu...

A week to 10 days after the males begin “singing,” the females begin to lay eggs. Each female lays up to 400 eggs in 40 to 50 pockets in the wood of several small branches of many types of trees. More than 75 species of trees are known to be attacked. The type of branch preferred by the females is about the width of a pencil up to ½ inch in diameter or a little larger. To lay eggs a female slices into the wood of the branch with her egg-laying apparatus and places the egg into the wood. She usually lays one to several dozen eggs in a single branch before moving to another branch or tree. This egg-laying activity lasts approximately 30 days, and about 6 to 7 weeks later the eggs hatch into tiny white nymphs. The nymphs fall to the ground and burrow into the soil to feed on grass roots and, eventually, tree roots for the next 17 years. A numbering system established in 1893 to keep track of these broods is still used today.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Caver78 because: add info

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
gardenersnet.com...

Affected Trees, Bushes and Shrubs:

Cicadas love woody stalks, 1/2 inch or less in diameter. Pines are not bothered, because of the sap. Any trees from soft gum trees to medium beech, apple, etc to harder woods such as maples, oaks, hickory. The real key is branches that are 1/2" in diameter or less, with long open sections that they can "stitch" to lay eggs.

Need Protection:

Apple Trees
Arborvitae
Ash
Beech
Black Eyed Susan
Crab Apple
Cherry
Dogwood Tree
Fruit Trees in general
Grape vines
Hawthorn
Hickory
Holly
Japanese Maple
Lilacs
Magnolia
Maple
Oak
Peach Tree
Pear Tree
Raspberry vines
Rhododendron
Roses
Rose of Sharon
Spirea
Viburnum
Willow

Don't Need Protection:

Most Flowers
Herbs
Vegetables

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Not sure about other areas, but the area I live in (and I believe where you are), cicadas are only heardt in the heat of the day. My childhood memories are of hearing them and the water sprinklers outside on hot summer days.

At night, it is crickets.
edit on 6-4-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
we get them every august

it's noisy, but I'll take it over blizzard warnings

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

tri-state cicadas go well into evening, until it cools down around 1 am

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Your location says west Texas. I live in deep southeast Texas in the Big Thicket. We only hear them from dusk till dawn. The ones in my laundry room are quiet right now, and I got lucky as one was on my dryer and I caught it and turned it loose in the woods. Still looking for the others. The crickets go off at all different hours and every summer at least a dozen get inside the house- me and the grandkid catch them and put them outside; we make a game out of it.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ft Worth area Texas here

I use to live In idaho they have the same thing, they call em Mormon Crickets.......

and they dont really play music lol they just cause problems.......

You would be amazed at the amount of wrecks on the highways because of them, why? because literally all the squashd bug guts cause the roads to be slick enough to cause massive accidents......

CRAZINESS!
edit on 6-4-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It's horrible when they wake up in Alabama. I was driving down the interstate one day, windows rolled up, and radio playing fairly loudly, and could hear them in the trees about 100 feet off the road or so.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join