It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Christians Be As Violent As Muslims If Their Religion Was Threatened?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Maybe you folks that frequent this forum can help settle an argument I'm having with a friend of mine. She says that if Atheists acquired information that could literally transform the way that people who live in the modern world perceive religion - and Christianity in particular - and began to succeed in peeling off impressive numbers of theists from (specifically) Christianity as a result of the powerful nature of that information, that there'd be no overtly aggressive reaction from any Christian groups against the Atheists whose information campaign had transformed the public debate. I say that there would be an overtly aggressive reaction, and that these Atheists would be in grave danger.

What do you folks think would be the reaction. I'm aware that there are about 30 million Evangelical Christians living in the US alone. Who knows how many other kinds of Christians there are, but as I see it, the violence potential primarily exists within the ranks of the 30 million or so Evangelicals. Hell, if even .01% decide that their god has approved of the elimination of these Atheists - preventing the damnation of millions as a direct result of their elimination - that's still 30,000 potential Christian jihadists from this one society alone.

Now, keep in mind that what I'm talking about is a real game changer, as far as what these Atheists possess. Not the usual Richard Dawkins drivel. Serious information that's crumbling the Christian credibility from one end of the globe to the other.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I believe there would be some violence but not on the scale of Muslim jihad. Americans are too docile, fattened by potato chips and Budweiser. They only get indignant over interruptions in football broadcasts.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I'm sure there would be some zealots who got violent. They can be found in any group.
I would like to think most would be reasonable about it though.
I'm not sure its possible to disprove a god though. So this senario seams unlikely.

I'm also confused by your title. Isn't Islam the fastest growing religion? I don't islam is being threatened.

edit on 1-4-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

Sorry, I'm having technical issues with my phone.
edit on 1-4-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

if Atheists acquired information that could literally transform the way that people who live in the modern world perceive religion - and Christianity in particular - and began to succeed in peeling off impressive numbers of theists from (specifically) Christianity ........

To prove that there is not, would be far more difficult than to prove that there is.[color=696969](which cannot be accomplished)
Regardless, what would be the point?

Even though religion has caused much blood to be spilled throughout the years, I personally think that it would be even worse, if there were no religion. Many people do good, simply because of the fear that they have of their god, and of his/her/its wrath.

edit on 4/1/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I doubt there will be at least not in same scale. Today´s christians faith is not that important to them as Islam is for muslims, and there is less and less people who actually believes in their hearts or lives their lifes keeping Christs doctorine in their mind. It seems that Christianity in its purest form does not exist or does but in smaller scale.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

dont know about the modern christian puppets but the older ones were insanely aggressive and violent when they originally spread the disgusting word of, who was it? yes god..
all religion is false and filled with envy and hate for others. ALL of them.

even my personal idea of god, the biomechainsectoidal masters of our race, are extremely violent and seemingly evil to my limited perception. well most of them.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I think the crusades perpetrated in the past by Christian Kings and Popes answer that question.

Since human nature has not changed at all since the time of the crusades I imagine nether would the Vatican's response! In other words they would do it if they thought they could get away with it, and all in the name of God!
edit on 1-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
I doubt there will be at least not in same scale. Today´s christians faith is not that important to them as Islam is for muslims, and there is less and less people who actually believes in their hearts or lives their lifes keeping Christs doctorine in their mind. It seems that Christianity in its purest form does not exist or does but in smaller scale.

The Muslim violence against infidels is grouped in with Arab violence against invading/occupying troops and resource/land stealing business interests, so it's actually really hard to get a firm handle on just how much Islamic violence toward non-Islamist there actually is.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I often wonder what would the US be like if the Puritans that came here had access to AK-47s and RPGs.

Or even the Inquisitors of days gone by...

I doubt we would even recognize the place.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1
I often wonder what would the US be like if the Puritans that came here had access to AK-47s and RPGs.

Or even the Inquisitors of days gone by...

I doubt we would even recognize the place.

I see movies like Jesus Camp and I have to wonder about the violence potential of the modern Evangelical movement.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

the jesus camp doc was disturbing, they are already breeding the new crusade. and all the rest of the fruit cakes will join them, when it begins.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve

the jesus camp doc was disturbing, they are already breeding the new crusade. and all the rest of the fruit cakes will join them, when it begins.

I watched that last episode of The Bible on History Channel last night, and it was as if the torture-death scenes were treated like erotica, with the slow-mo, multiple-angles camera work, and the gushing music soundtrack. It really creeped me out. But then, what the American Evangelical gets off on is watching Jesus get his ass kicked, so what's the film's director supposed to do? They want to see Jesus get it and get it hard. It's a really aggressive religion, even if the tenets of it are supposed to be based on peace and love. It's almost as if it's a revenge based religion.
edit on 4/1/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Would Christians Be As Violent As Muslims If Their Religion Was Threatened?

Some, maybe but... not the great majority.

Those who take the teachings and the life/example Christ offered seriously, know that one of the basic tenets is to 'turn the other cheek' and to 'love thine enemy'. Moreover, we have been taught that there will come a time when Christians will again be persecuted. My personal view is that this time is coming at us as we speak, though, not necessarily day-after-tomorrow.

All that said, there very well could be a junction where these things begin to happen and it just happens to coincide with other events. From that point, you might find Christians who are being persecuted also fighting against some other quasi-related threat.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

you are pointing out something strange indeed, connecting erotica in suffering,,,,,
i have a friend from israel and he said that there is a popular erotic magazine that shows pictures of women in nazi uniforms humiliating jewish men? now thats sick, i thought that they considered the entire thing a terrible event and not something to #### of to....

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

The answer is no. We don't make holy wars anymore.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Hate cannot dispel hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the reason our belief is not threatened within nations that reflect biblical truth. In Egypt, is this the case for the religion of love? Hate creates division. Love creates unity. When a nation turns on its last vestiges of faith, it is doomed to fall by the tyranny it creates. The US is on the path to this tyranny.

2 Chronicles 7:14

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Granted, holy wars seem to be a thing of the past these days, now the reason we invade are WMDs and the illusion of bringing democracy to nations that have no such desire for such a form of government!

Same crap, different name and agenda!
edit on 1-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
IF? Christianity is threatened everyday by Athiests claiming to "hate all religion" but only targeting Christians and by scientists that think they know everything about the universe. That and society and the media making Christianity seem taboo. But most Christians forgive and let live, we're not much into cutting others heads off over an insult.

For instance, if anyone follows the NFL, I'd bet a ton of money that Tim Tebow wouldn't be hated at all if he wasn't a Christian.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Speaking as one who spent decades of my life as a fundamentalist. One of the more hard core sects of Christianity. Yes, there would be some amount of violence from certain sects. Most of it fueled from the pulpit by the so-called leadership of the church. And perpetrated by those afraid to question church authority.

But overrall, what you'll see is a lot of preaching about the information you speak of being the work of the Devil. And that it's all lies. Reality is what those in the pulpit say it is. You have to remember, those in the seats of authority in the church stand to lose the most by information that crumbles Christianity. They will incite their congregations to be aggressive in the streets verbally, but not physically. They can't afford to expose themselves for the frauds they are by inciting violence.

The evangelicals will be the least of your worries when it comes to physical confrontation.
edit on 4/1/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I suppose that many would rebel, but I would not, because the religion of virtue cannot be found to be untrue. But people who do not understand their own religion may have some problems.

Like my "new age christian" neighbors wear a shirt that says "our god is stronger", I think that they might have a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join