It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbor complains about a Marine Flying his Flag...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by maddog3n8

The problem here is that you seem to feel that you have the right to do whatever you want...
The truth is that your right to do what you want ends where it crosses over another persons rights to be free of your idiocy.

The issue here is one of some people wanting to exercise their rights feeling that their rights are somehow superior to their neighbors who have a right not to have to deal with a nuisance or devaluation of their property.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

It would be interesting to explore if suits have been filed about neighbors lowering property rights if the neighbor was black, or gay, or a marine vet.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Is this fascism, or do these 'permissions' have a base in co-ordinating many people sharing common space?

Should anyone be allowed to drive or own a firearm, or are there valid reasons for requiring 'permission'?

If this man was burning an American flag daily and required by the law to cease, would other posters defend his rights to do so against the tyranny of law?
edit on 30-3-2013 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I find it odd that no one realizes the attitude which they use to
say he has a right to do this even though there is clearly a law
that says the pole must meet codes, which for the safety of
other renters makes sense here, would you like it if someone
erected a non code pole and it fell on your children/dog/wife?

I love freedom and being able to do what one wishes, however
freedom also has a price, that price is that others must also
have it, and if your free choices have the possibility of harming
others directly then your abusing that freedom, i would say
that the other renters or homeowners near him have a right
to not be harmed by something that might not be structurally
sound.

The flag issue was simply thrown in there to illicit emotion,
while that's fine and all patriotism doesn't give you a pass
on following the law.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Perhaps this was merely a building code restriction issue blown out of proportions? I mean what if the flag pole were to fall on somebody due to poor installation and workmanship, or worse, cause a vehicular accident? Something that could pose as a safety hazard if left unregulated. I mean it sounds like something coming from a control freak's mouth, but it really all depends on the local building regulations.

The thing that kinda makes me wonder, however, is how hard and costly should it really be for an average citizen to erect a free-standing flag pole in his front lawn? Is it supposed to be all that complicated just to secure a clearance from the local regulating body? It's not even supposed to be considered a permanent structure. Unless the guy was extending the house or building a bunker underneath.

One should only have to fill up some form and submit it along with details of what you're planning to erect. If it complies with the local regulations, then great just approve it and pay a reasonable amount for processing, taxes, and if required, inspection, etc. and be done with it.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Help me out here? How was this person's rights infringed? So your argument is that by flying the American flag, this has somehow infringed on the other person's rights? You know what, we are so far from realms of reality that I am not going to even discuss this with you! You want to ban me, fine! It would be typical of ATS!
edit on 31-3-2013 by maddog3n8 because: misspelling

edit on 31-3-2013 by maddog3n8 because: formatting

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

So by this example, everyone should lose their Constitutional rights? You are a propriety owner. That is a fact. That means that you have a fiduciary connection to the situation. However, your link to this situation does not mean that it trumps other individual's Constitutional rights! I would present that this is Capitalism at its finest. You risked your money, investing in this propriety. Now, you want the Government to protect you investment over other's Constitutional rights. So by your example, your investment undermines all others rights as protected by the Constitution. Great approach!!
edit on 31-3-2013 by maddog3n8 because: grammar

edit on 31-3-2013 by maddog3n8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

I would ask, why do your views trump someone elses? So by your logic, if somebody does something that you disagree with, yet doesn't break the law, then the Government should step in to protect you opinion! Yep, that's freedom! All I have to say is that I wouldn't want to live next to you!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
zoning and construction laws plain and simple - the fact it was a marine flying a US flag is irrelevant - how would you all feel if it was a more controversial flag - say gay pride, black power, islamic jihad symbol, swastika...

Would those who are so vociferous in their defense still be?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
What a lot of fuss over nothing.

You should be able to fly any flag you wish on a flag pole on your property, as long as its a genuine recognized flag and doesn't simply say "my next door neighbour is a douche bag" or something obviously provocative.

Who hates a flag? They are quite nice and smoothing overall

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lovebeck

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by lovebeck

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

I think many people have many different opinions.

I also think there are a million definitions of "respect" and "disrespect."

Try being less ambiguous, "writer."

What are you even talking about?? I didn't post this, someone else did in response. Please go troll somewhere else.

That's probably why I hit the "quote" button on his post and not yours, genius.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Should you also be allowed to burn any flag you like on your own property?

If you endanger others with poor construction, is this ok if on your own property? Do you believe this law is a random act of tyranny, or something simpler like stopping potential litigation by removing immediately identifable potential lightning rods for this type of action?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by maddog3n8
reply to post by defcon5

So by this example, everyone should lose their Constitutional rights? You are a propriety owner. That is a fact. That means that you have a fiduciary connection to the situation. However, your link to this situation does not mean that it trumps other individual's Constitutional rights! I would present that this is Capitalism at its finest. You risked your money, investing in this propriety. Now, you want the Government to protect you investment over other's Constitutional rights. So by your example, your investment undermines all others rights as protected by the Constitution. Great approach!!

edit on 31-3-2013 by maddog3n8 because: (no reason given)

A. It's not our problem that you don't understand how the neighbor's right are being infringed upon because of this. Research the definitions of infringement in accordance with Federal/State/Local law and then post, don't expect us to explain it all for you.

B. HE DOESN'T OWN THE PROPERTY. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE NOT GET ABOUT THIS?! You DON'T have the RIGHT to do WHATEVER YOU WANT on a RENTED PROPERTY because it DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

A U.S. Marine was ordered to take down a flag pole and flag he put up outside his rented Florida home this week after a neighbor complained to local officials. Seems he did not secure a "permit" to put up the flag pole, which is being considered a "structure".

Neight Protests U.S. Marine's Flag

I mean, seriously, must the gubbament have issue with a U.S. Marine, or anyone for that matter, flying the U.S. flag in their OWN yard? Why must you petition and PAY for erecting a flippin' flag pole and flag?
Love the Marine's response to his neighbor. Class act right there.
edit on 29-3-2013 by lovebeck because: Fox Spews article states he is renting his home...

it's not his property, he's renting it.....do they have zoning laws there? how big is the flag?...did he get permission from the land owner? i have a flag that i put out on holidays on my house but the pole is inserted into a metal holder on the front of my house. ....and neighbors complained?.... jesus, i have neighbors complain about almost anything they don't like....welcome to the real world

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The neighbors actually complained? Really? Is there solid proof of that, or could it have been that he/they was 'put up to it,' because the proud Marine was flying the Gadsden flag which is despised by all liberals and those who really do "hate us for our Freedoms)! If they (meaning his ungrateful neighbors) really did complain so bitterly (which is doubtful) perhaps their anger and their outrage and their hatred of things 'American' were more a result of the Gadsden flag flown just beneath Old Glory --->

Sounds to me like the so-called "complaint" could have originated from the local chapter of the Southern Poverty Law Center or some other hate filled extremest anti-American Obama backed, Marxist orientated hate group rather than from a disgruntled neighbor.

Just wait and see, as soon as the proud and noble Veterans groups come to this mans aid that other notorious anti-American hate group - the ACLU - will be all over the case in short order.
edit on 31-3-2013 by POXUSA because: txt

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cuckooold

You should be allowed to burn what you like on your own property in coordination with the laws the property lies on.

Just because you can, doesnt mean you should.

When i throw a house party i buy all sorts of drinks and food for my guests, i do not force them only what i like.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by POXUSA
The neighbors actually complained? Really? Is there solid proof of that, or could it have been that he/they was 'put up to it,' because the proud Marine was flying the Gadsden flag which is despised by all liberals and those who really do "hate us for our Freedoms)! If they (meaning his ungrateful neighbors) really did complain so bitterly (which is doubtful) perhaps their anger and their outrage and their hatred of things 'American' more a result of the Gadsden flag flown just beneath Old Glory --->

Sounds to me like the so-called "complaint" could have originated from the local chapter of the Southern Poverty Law Center or some other hate filled extremest anti-American Obama backed, Marxist orientated hate group rather than from a disgruntled neighbor.

Just wait and see, as soon as the proud and noble Veterans groups come to this mans aid that other notorious anti-American hate group - the ACLU - will be all over the case in short order.
edit on 31-3-2013 by POXUSA because: txt

Having "alternative" opinions is an American value. Plain and simple. You aren't entitled to more rights than anyone else just because you view yourself as patriotic.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by maddog3n8
reply to post by Morgenstern89

I would ask, why do your views trump someone elses? So by your logic, if somebody does something that you disagree with, yet doesn't break the law, then the Government should step in to protect you opinion! Yep, that's freedom! All I have to say is that I wouldn't want to live next to you!

What?

I don't disagree with it. He has every right to put a flag pole up. But he has to get the permits and put the thing up so that it meets the code. He didn't get the permits, hence the hullabaloo.

Don't worry. I can't envision a situation where we would ever be neighbors.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by lovebeck

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

I think many people have many different opinions.

I also think there are a million definitions of "respect" and "disrespect."

Try being less ambiguous, "writer."

What are you even talking about?? I didn't post this, someone else did in response. Please go troll somewhere else.

That's probably why I hit the "quote" button on his post and not yours, genius.

Mmmmkaaaaayyyyy.

Why even include me in that post then? Basic HTML is not that hard to learn.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I find the fact that there is a "law" regarding installation of a residential flag pole ridiculous and the main reason for me posting the article. I mean he wasn't putting up a 100' pole barn or even a tree fort, but a flag pole and American flag.

Of course there are people out there that will call and report other people to the authorities any time they can. There have been responses by several of those types in this thread. If they have the right, then so be it I guess. The fact that this is even something to report to "authorities" is what leaves me scratching my head. To have to obtain a permit (which costs a lot of money, which goes to some gov't office or another) for this purpose is ridiculous to me. The gov't has enough ways to our money as it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join