It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live in Hawaii, and I am not "laid back" about NK threats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hawaiians are laid back about North Korean threats

"The lifestyle here is laid back and people don’t tend to be concerned about these things," Aiwohi said. "We always have the regulars prepping for things like this, but they haven’t come in."

This article is weird. Makes me uncomfortable. I think Reuters was the first to write it, not local news.

I'll be honest, my son is due to be born any day and I'm wasting mental and physical energy waiting for North Korea to fire off a salvo. We should all be well aware of the strategic importance of Hawaii, more so if you live here. Pearl Harbor is recent history here, not just a few pages in the textbooks. Hawaii and Guam are both logical targets, and it makes me nervous.

Conspiracy theories aside, we couldn't bring down 747's on 9/11. We can't stop enemy rocket attacks in Afghaniraqistan. The sequester is going to affect our military readiness. I don't have much faith right now in the ability of our forces stationed here to intercept a missile from NK. Granted, they would be lucky if their missile made it off the launchpad, let alone to Hawaii. But it could happen.

I am afraid my son will be born into a nuclear holocaust. We saw how quick the Russian meteor interrupted the lives of thousands, with no warning whatsoever. I look out my window over the ocean and all I can think about is a missile plume arcing over the horizon, then flash it's all over. This sucks.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If you really want we can swap locations, I will do that for you

Sunny Hawaii for Sunny West Yorkshire

All joking aside I think you will be fine but If something does happen stay safe dude/dudette.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Reasonable fears but really unjustified.

Why would North Korea strike Hawaii? It would mean they are willing to go to war with the United States and they can't survive that without the help of China who will not give it to them at this point in time.

From a strategic point of view, hitting Hawaii is a waste of a missile. They would hit South Korea or our forces stationed in Japan before either Guam or Hawaii.

I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
They could have shot down the 747's but chose not to. That is just a really hard call to make. You can't know how many would die on the ground, you can't know if the passengers were getting it under control. Hawaii is extremely secure as far as missile strikes are concerned. Obama has a home there. Hawaii is probably the safest place on the planet.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Doesn't seem like James Hardy, editor of IHS Jane's Defense Weekly seems to think NK have the capabilities to get past Japan.

North Korea doesn't appear to have the capability to carry out its latest threat to attack U.S. bases in Hawaii, Guam or the U.S. mainland. From what we know of its existing inventory, it does have Scud derived missiles that could complicate the situation on the Korean Peninsula, and they could likely reach Japan. But anything further is probably an empty threat.

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com... rea-cant-hit-hawaii/

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'd kill for some Hawaiian heat here in the UK so perhaps you can stick a bounty on the NK boss and let dog and his family slap him in chains?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cass1dy09
Doesn't seem like James Hardy, editor of IHS Jane's Defense Weekly seems to think NK have the capabilities to get past Japan.

North Korea doesn't appear to have the capability to carry out its latest threat to attack U.S. bases in Hawaii, Guam or the U.S. mainland. From what we know of its existing inventory, it does have Scud derived missiles that could complicate the situation on the Korean Peninsula, and they could likely reach Japan. But anything further is probably an empty threat.

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com... rea-cant-hit-hawaii/

No one had any idea that the Japanese would launch a surprise attack on Pearl Harbour. They did.
Complacency is alive and well.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
USA will pound NK immediately once the first rocket/shot is fired... We will also shoot down that rocket and they will have zero shot to fire anymore off... Be safe my friend and know that nothing will ever reach you...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Mahalo for your honesty about your fears around all this. I too am a little worried today, maybe uncalled for, maybe not. I think that 'laid back' article was crap although it does seem that most people I talk to don't seem to care and share the idea that out country is too great to take a hit like that. You have some very good points about our forces not being able to stop other events. It just seems like these days you never know what could really happen. I have been thinking lately about how in my Mother's and Grandparent's days they informed the public of what to do in the case of bombings like what is being threatened, they taught children in school and people knew where fallout shelters and things of that matter were and when to go to them. If it weren't for my desire to search out the answers to what to do in these situations I wouldn't have a clue myself. I'm guessing most people don't know either. Talk about chaos if it really does happen!
Just know that you are not alone in your apprehension to just write off the threats as meaningless and never a possibility. Hopefully everyone else is right and we are safe here on our rock, your baby can grow up in a safe and beautiful place and we can go back to that so-called laid back lifestyle.
Aloha

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Yea, I'd trade places with you in a heart beat.
You might ask why? I'll tell you why... North Korea is a joke.
A really bad tasteless joke with no punchline.

Let them send a missile here, if it makes it here without failing miserably,
and hits anything at all... North Korea will be in for one hell of a retaliation.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

Yea, I'd trade places with you in a heart beat.
You might ask why? I'll tell you why... North Korea is a joke.
A really bad tasteless joke with no punchline.

Let them send a missile here, if it makes it here without failing miserably,
and hits anything at all... North Korea will be in for one hell of a retaliation.

The US thought The Viet Cong where a joke.
We all know what happened there.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Your biggest concern would be the radioactive fallout from any nuclear devices North Korea manages to detonate. If there is an explosion, you would have plenty of time to get off the island before you're affected by the fallout. Still, I wouldn't be too concerned. China wouldn't want nuclear detonations on their doorstep. They will keep the Koreans from going too crazy.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

OP, concentrate on your wife and your new child.

(Congrats, by the way)

Nothing will happen. It's all good.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

We all know what happened there. well if you know history you know it was setup that way if it was run like a war where we WANTED to win well it would have been over quickly , but i digress back to hawaii getting nuked
edit on 29-3-2013 by blackz28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
dont sweat it i mean you got the USS MISSOURI in pearl & if she can wipe out aliens she can handle NK

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackz28

We all know what happened there. well if you know history you know it was setup that way if it was run like a war where we WANTED to win well it would have been over quickly , but i digress back to hawaii getting nuked

On what assumption do you make the comment that, The Vietnam War would have been over quickly IF YOU WANTED TO WIN?
Every country that fights a war wants to win. They don't go into it with the object of loosing. Your comment makes no sense what so ever.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

well if you know history you know it was setup that way if it was run like a war where we WANTED to win well it would have been over quickly , but i digress back to hawaii getting nuked

On what assumption do you make the comment that, The Vietnam War would have been over quickly IF YOU WANTED TO WIN?
Every country that fights a war wants to win. They don't go into it with the object of loosing. Your comment makes no sense what so ever.

It means the US fought with it's hands tied.
We were not aloud to go only so far.
The world has not ever seen the full might of the USA brought to bear.
And let's hope it stays that way.
edit on 29-3-2013 by grayghost because: spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost

Originally posted by alldaylong

well if you know history you know it was setup that way if it was run like a war where we WANTED to win well it would have been over quickly , but i digress back to hawaii getting nuked

It means the US fought with it's hands tied.
We were not aloud to go only so far.
The world has not ever seen the full might of the USA brought to bear.
And let's hope it stays that way.
edit on 29-3-2013 by grayghost because: spelling

The US will always have it's hands tied. There is a small matter of Russian & Chinese intervention in any conflict. That's why The US has not become involved in Syria. They are afraid of what the Russians & Chinese will do.
As for Vietnam, you believe to much US propaganda.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Un is trying to fend off doubting general and distract his people from the broken promises of a better life after daddy died

he is speaking to his people with these threats

I can't say he won't do anything of course, but it is unlikely he can do anything without china and russia on board, and nobody wants WWIII because little boy Un is vulnerable
edit on 29-3-2013 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It's not going to happen, so why bother getting yourself worked up over it - especially considering you have more important things to worry about, like the impending birth of your child.

Lil Kim wants you to be afraid of what he might do. You're unwittingly playing into his hand. He knows full well that if he fires anything at an American target his whole country is glass. It's not likely that China would align itself with N Korea, despite their historical alliance, because the Chinese economy is too tied up with America's.

North Korea alone is nothing to worry about, just bluster and bull# with nothing to back it up. The fact is that they're a piss poor broke ass country that only keeps its citizens in check through fear, which they're also trying to do to you.

Don't let yourself be played.

I'm not saying to bury your head in the ground and pretend that nothing big is happening on the geopolitical stage, but see the machinations and rhetorical threats for the empty BS that they are.
edit on 3/29/2013 by Monger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join