It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Entrepeneur receives 30millions for App: International Cover Story or Cover Up Story?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Nick d'Aloisio, 17, sold his company to Yahoo in a 30 million dollar deal. He entrepeneured as a 15year old the App "Summly". Among the risk capital investors who profit from the deal are people like Yoko Ono, Ashton Kucher and Rupert Murdoch.
That sounds great! Anybody can do it with a bright mind, clever innovation and some luck! Right? Wait...Reality check: A teenie who manages to attract investors for a risky start up and all he has is a useless App? Hm this story sounds like booze for the masses. Believe me, your idea could be much better, the prospective return on investments much higher and its development much further and you would not get any venture capital for your idea. At worst your idea would get stolen and further developed by big companies (yes this happens a lot, I have a friend who keeps winning one law suit after the other against Sony for more than 10years now (its about billions of dollars), but yet didnt see a dime). But quite the opposite happened to that cute boy: he gets hyped in news magazines all around the globe.
There was something fishy, so I googled it. And there it was: Nick d'Aloisio son of Lou Montilla, Vice President at Morgan Stanley. Heck Nick could have invented a pillow with wheels and his father could have directed risk capital flows towards his company. That alone wouldn't make a ATS story yet. Because all there is, are the media who love fairytales of a world where anybody can achieve anything he sets his mind to.
But as I checked today the names and professions of his parents are gone from Wikipedia. Ah... the truth would have hurt the star potential of that story. Now apperantly his father is "into commodities" - that's a bold understatement. It's just an example how the world works today and how the people in power want to cast a totally different picture of it.

What angers me, isnt the boy who got so lucky, not the father who helps his son in being successful. It's the media which is so uncritical of any content provided to them and spins some fairy tales to make the people think that they live in a world which doesn't reign total dominion over them.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CriticalCK

Oh, no. The verb "to entrepreneur". It just sounds so wrong. I've seen it here for the first time, but I have a terrible feeling of foreboding that it won't be the last.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this up Op.
S&F
Even more interesting is what the app does,
From what I can gather it
Cuts news/information down into smaller more 'digestible' snippets for the masses who prefer quantity of diversity over in depth quality.

No wonder they pay millions for it.

Makes people even stupider, less critical and less likely to be interested in pesky facts or background.

Its a soundbite generator for a dumber populace.
Ker-ching.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

Man, you made me laugh. But ain't that the truth. A buddy of mine called me and told me about that app. Told me what it was, and, knowing the guy, I thought: "Right up his alley." I've tried to educate him any number of times, but he goes right back to lapping up the infotainment shows. He'd make a perfect shill for an app like that...

edit on 3/27/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
too typical
the whole lt need ethnic cleansing

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

I probably wouldn't judge it so harshly. A music radio station I listen to has a news report every hour, which usually carries around 4 stories. It "trails" (for want of a better word) these in the space of about 8 - 10 words each, and then goes on to carry each story in depth. Invariably I end up thinking to myself that the trailer told me all I needed to know, and that the "full" story added nothing at all to my understanding. In fact I would much rather they spent the WHOLE of the news segment using the trailer / soundbite format covering, say, 20 - 25 topics. If I felt the need to expand my knowledge about any of them, I could do this at my leisure.
edit on 27-3-2013 by lacrimoniousfinale because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Thank you for bringing up this topic, which is deeper than most people expect. On the surface it sounds like a smart kid hit a homerun. Underneath, another story altogether....

Right now, if you go to Google and type in the name "Marissa Mayer" the top story is this...
YAHOO SOURCE: Here's The Real Reason Marissa Mayer Bought A 17-Year-Old's Startup For $30 Million

The above article at Business Insider is rather apologetic in tone. You can do some research on the guy that runs Business Insider if you need more insight.

The real interesting information is in the comment section under the article. There you can find out that Marissa Mayer used to work for SRI. In addition, you can see an extremely insightful comment by someone with the screen name of NomoNomo who posts on Apr 9, 10:31 PM "The real reason is: SRI is an Israeli company, Marrisa Mayer is an american Jew and and Nick's parents are not only rich, but Nick is jewish too."

In response, somebody with the screen name Sylvain Allard posts on Apr 10, 1:16 AM "@NomoNomo: Look no further, deals like that makes absolutely no sense, the kid's company was never ever worth more than $1,000 -- these are little in-the-family deals made with public money. Beautiful! But who cares? They are already a bunch of mega-millionaires simply gobbling up more millions, not contributing in any ways to society."

You can read another Business Insider article titled The Teen Who Got $30 Million From Yahoo Did Not Build His Startup's App (Or Invent Its Technology)

The average Joe Sixpack on the street doesn't have a clue what is going on. Most people have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Also, as an aside, there is a mention of Marissa Mayer's brother Mason Mayer who was involved in a very disturbing domestic abuse case last year.... Marissa Mayer’s Brother Mason Charged with Three Felonies, Including Domestic Abuse and Assault and... Brother of Google Executive Marissa Mayer Facing Charges In Alleged Attack On Then-Girlfriend

new topics

top topics

join