It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World's O

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
makes sense.. a 13 year old girl traced the genealogy of 42 US presidents and proved they were related. another young girl cured a form of cancer using nanotechnology. the good of life is evening out within our youth.. for all the negative and elite bringing bad vibrations to the earth.. the earth is doing what is does best and fighting the vibrations.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

great story

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Wow what a fantastic idea..! s/f Op good find

Seems more and more these days that the kids are coming up with ideas to help the earth.. The kids are the future. It would be great to see this project out on the open seas giving mother nature a bit of TLC...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by pacifier2012

Nice idea, but like electric cars, unpractical and a waste of time. Juts consider leaving a giant structure floating on the sea. It eventually would be come sea junk as well when the ocean breaks it up.

What makes you think these are unpractical. They are made to withstand oceanic weather and currents. They run at a profit and clean the sea of plastic pollutants.

What is unpractical is having a mess like this in our oceans and doing nothing about it..

edit on 27-3-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

Yes, although I agree that the mess itself is a hassle to deal with, you must not forget that most plastic within our oceans are less than or equal to about 10mm in length.

Scanners:

Plastic is really good at fragmenting. So what will be the result of that? a machine cannot tell the difference between say, fish eggs, plankton, algae, and say, another plastic of similar size/color/texture. So, you'd need a scanner, and a pretty elaborate system of scanners, which can tell the difference and at incredible speeds(keep in mind the rate at which plastic debris is flying into the machine). I do not know of a single scanning system which can do this.

Number of instruments:

Also consider that there need to be thousands of these in our oceans, especially near our gyres, some of which are larger than some of our continents and contain heavy concentrations of plastics.

They do run at a profit, but where can you find the manpower and annual funding to maintain your fleet? It takes a lot more than a foundation a 19 year old made.

Also, don't forget the millions of tons of plastics that enter the oceans every year. You cannot keep the oceans clean if you still have the pollutant faucet running.

I can go on for another hour, but I hope you can now get a better idea of how unpractical it is. And the funny thing is, that this hasn't exactly been the first cleanup prototype thought up. There have been hundreds in the past made by designers, as well as young prodigal kids... yet all failures because they could not address some of these very basic issues I've mentioned.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by Teye22
Now that is the best thing I have heard in a while!!

I was thinking the same thing!

How very hopefully, I hope too that someone serious runs with this idea, because if there's no money in it, corporations won't be interested.

I'm pretty sure corporations will run headfirst with the idea! They love cleanups! But not for the reasons that might appear obvious. If they invest time/effort/funding at all, it will simply be because they wish to emphasize the "cleanup" aspect of the crisis, and NOT the production(preventative) aspect, which they would have to take personal responsibility for.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

What is unpractical is having a mess like this in our oceans and doing nothing about it..

edit on 27-3-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

You know what I don't get is why some of the countries don't get together and fund a ship to keep that clean.

Plastic, it might even be recyclable to the point that if offsets the cost of the ship. Or nearly offsets it.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Neat idea. Issue is who will fund and build this?

The people who are throwing garbage in the ocean don't care.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Yeah....a very intelligent "sudent" indeed.....

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by Xaphan
There's one thing I've always wondered...

Why the hell do birds eat the plastic? I mean like... it doesn't smell good, it doesn't taste good. Don't they have a natural instinct that tells them it isn't food?

So blame the birds for eating our plastic products, not the humans that use the ocean like a trash can.

I wasn't blaming the birds for anything. I was simply asking what drives them to eat the plastic if it doesn't resemble food in any way.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Won't fix anything in the long term

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

The birds in question are Albatross and the Midway Attol is their breeding ground. When the magnificent birds are hunting at sea they swoop down to catch fish and must inevitably swallow plastic as well. They keep this in their crops and return to their chicks, feeding them by regurgitating the mixture directly into their beaks and the babies swallow the plastic as well. It doesn't take much to completely fill the chicks' stomachs, causing them to starve as this plastic stops them being able to take any more food.

There was a recent thread about the Midway Attol on this ATS forum a few weeks ago with a link to a YouTube video. I found it absolutely heartbreaking and been telling people about it endlessly since.

Someone posted earlier that the plastic would eventually be ground down to nothing - if only! It gets broken down to tiny pieces know as nurdles and being eaten by life at the bottom of the food chain - which is not good news!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenpachi7
Won't fix anything in the long term

Mmm! Maybe human extinction would help!

Would be karmic if we were all poisoned with plastic!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode "the old man and lisa"? Well if you don't google it, watch it, then come back and post on this topic. That's probably where this moronic idea is headed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join