It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too-early solid food could lead to problems for babies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This story was all over the news this morning:
Too-early solid food could lead to problems for babies

I am a mother and a grandmother, and I feel I've done a pretty good job when it comes to raising healthy kids. When my kids were babies they were alert, active and happy- and yes, I gave them baby cereal and some baby food before they were 4-6 months old. Now the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC are saying that if you don't give your babies only breast milk for the first 6 months of their lives you are putting their health at risk:

Giving your baby solid food too soon has been linked to a higher risk of obesity and diabetes, according to the study. Also, "starting infants on solids before 4 months can lead to allergies and eczema," says Dr. Jennifer Shu, an Atlanta pediatrician and AAP spokeswoman who was not involved in the research.

and this:

According to the latest AAP recommendations, moms are supposed to exclusively breast-feed their babies until they are about 6 months old if possible, so babies can reap all the benefits of mother's milk including extra immune protection and possible protection for future chronic illnesses like obesity and type II diabetes.

Now I will say that neither of my children are obese, have diabetes, eczema or allergies- and neither does anyone else in my family and we were all raised being fed baby cereal, baby food and yes even some table food before the age of 4-6 months. And most of us were not breast fed either- although that is due to milk production problems and not lack of trying.

Here is a story about a lady I grew up with who had her first child within a few weeks of when I had my first child:
This lady followed her pediatricians instructions and gave her baby girl nothing but breast milk for the first 6 months of life. By age 1 my daughter was walking, talking and playing with other kids while Angie's daughter, also age 1, was just starting to sit up on her own and just attempting to crawl (for you parents out there she was at the "rocking" stage). My daughter was healthy as a horse while her daughter was weak and sickly with many allergies (and even now, as a grown woman in her mid 20s she is still sickly and allergic to everything you can imagine- as well as obese).

Why do I tell this story? Well, Angie is not the only woman I know who followed the pediatricians advice and her daughter is not the only child who grew up to be weak, sickly and obese because of it. What I would like to know is there parents here who followed the rule of nothing but breast milk or formula for the first 6 months who had a different experience? I would sincerely like to know and appreciate your input!

edit on 25-3-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

WHAT!
I ate pizza at 4 months.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You bunch of sissies. I was drinking coffee the day I came home from hospital at 3 days old.LOL I had mashed potatoes and gravy at 1 week. Never had problems with allergies, couldn't even catch chicken pox when I was little. I was given real cows and goats milk. No formula. Aside from broken toes and various other injuries I was never sick growing up. Parents should read the labels on the formulas they are feeding their babies! Soy! Then go to FDA's own website and read what it says about soy.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

WHAT!
I ate pizza at 4 months.

I'm still eating pizza!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Your personal story strikes a cord with me. I was kinda bad about following DRs orders in the ways you mentioned. My kid seemed (dare I say) better than fine as well. She was early both physically and mentally in everything, especially when compared to other kids her age (even the ones who did everything by the letter). She is still healthy, no issues or allergies to speak of. Not obese either.
My step-father-in-law like to tell the story of how his oldest couldn't handle formula (the mother simply wouldn't breastfeed) He had bad weight problems. So they decided to give him cow's milk. Next wellness check they go to the Dr RAVES about how well he's started doing and "whatever you're doing keep it up". Then they tell him it's cow's milk. The Dr's attitude suddenly turned. "You can't do that. What are you thinking! It's dangerous at his age" They kept on with what they were doing, and I'll be damned if he isn't a happy healthy adult. On the other hand, the only other kid I ever met that couldn't handle formula was put on Goat's milk (Drs orders). He is obese and has respiratory problems from it.
In another instance, my brother-in-law really got it from the WIC office over starting cereal early. This kid was born with some issues, and was VERY skinny. She would go through way more bottles than she was supposed to but still wouldn't gain weight or seem to ever get full. Cereal seemed to have a positive effect on her. Not good enough for WIC. Only by the books, was their answer. She doesn't have and additional problems she wasn't already born with either.
So given these 3 instances, I take some advice with a grain of salt. Drs are right most of the time, but most doesn't equal 100%. Sometimes a parent just knows, and you take that risk.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
You bunch of sissies. I was drinking coffee the day I came home from hospital at 3 days old.LOL I had mashed potatoes and gravy at 1 week. Never had problems with allergies, couldn't even catch chicken pox when I was little. I was given real cows and goats milk. No formula. Aside from broken toes and various other injuries I was never sick growing up. Parents should read the labels on the formulas they are feeding their babies! Soy! Then go to FDA's own website and read what it says about soy.

I think that's the way most babies were raised until recent times. All of my friends who followed these new fangled doctor's orders have kids that have always been sick, obese and in most cases have ADD or ADHD even now as adults. Doctors started handing out this particular advice in the 80s (maybe sooner). I'm wondering if these doctors who are recommending this first six months of breast milk only have even raised any babies. That's why I want to know if anyone has followed these recommendations had their kids turn out healthy.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

I appreciate your input. I have for the most part raised my grandbaby and raised her the same as I did my kids, which was against her pediatricians orders. She is almost 3 and a very active and healthy tot with no allergies or health problems whatsoever. As soon as she started getting a few teeth she was eating most of whatever we ate, and was eating baby cereal by 2 months, baby food within a few weeks of that.

I am hoping someone chimes in who has had good results from following this recommendation but I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I started my son on baby foods at 3 months old. Applesauce was his first food.
His metabolism was so high he needed real food. The doctor agreed.

He's 28 now, into body building to maintain enough muscle mass, to not be too skinny.
He still has an extremely high metabolism.
No problems health wise, ever, except that he's always been too thin no matter how much he eats.
That's why he body builds, and with supplements.

He would have starved if I had tried to feed him only breast milk for 6 months, he fed every 2 hours, and I couldn't keep up.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
As a parent, you can tell when your little one is hungry for more. I breast fed both of my little guys, but they were also getting cereal at about 4 months old, by six months we had started on our veggies and fruits. They are both healthy active boys, and are in no way overweight. My milk just wasn't enough after a bit, there is no keeping up with a ravenous baby sometimes.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

What I would like to know is there parents here who followed the rule of nothing but breast milk or formula for the first 6 months who had a different experience? I would sincerely like to know and appreciate your input!

Yes, I have a very different experience. I followed every thing to the letter with my kids. Breast fed for the first 6 months.

My eldest was walking at 8 months. My daughter 9 months (chronologically adjusted age due to being preemie)12 months based on birth age.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Thank you for your response snowspirit! My youngest also has a very high metabolism (takes after her father) and she has to strive to keep on any weight that she gains (she is 22). Oh to have been born so fortunate!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Thank you for chiming in woodsmom! I agree that the parent just "knows" when their child needs something more. One of my girlfriends who has a boy the same age as my youngest only breast fed for the first six months. He cried all the time and when I held him you could hear his little tummy growling at about 3 months. I said something to her about it, but rather than give him some baby cereal or something she just supplemented her breast milk with baby formula. He's a sickly young man- allergic to everything and catches everything going around.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I am glad to finally hear from someone who had success with the 6 month rule! You are the first mom I've heard of whose kids developed at a normally healthy rate by doing so. May I ask how are your kids as far as allergies, catching illnesses, weight gain, etc.? Did your kids ever seem to be getting "not enough"? I appreciate any input you are willing to share. Thank you calstorm!

top topics

join