It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone want to take a shot at these questions?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
my 2 cents...it's all about evolution...we humans have evolved to live on our world. we recognize some "senses" and discarded others, for our immediate survivial. if you cannot hear a predator and through that sound know how to protect yourself, all the other senses are useless. if you can see only infrared, poisonous plants, and cold blooded animals would kill you...etc.... we have these senses, because those have allowed our species to survive, nothing more.
edit on 26-3-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

That's not really the point of my thread.. I understand the need to adapt to our 3d world. 4 if we consider time. For instance, it's very important to see in depth as we evolve, that way we can see the tiger jumping at us trying to eat us.

We hear so we can hear other predators lurking about. Very nice last minute warning systems. But what if we could see all, hear all and capable of interacting? How different would this new reality differ from our filtered reality?

Although this isn't directed towards you, just continuing my thoughts. I wonder if it is ego that prevents ,any of us even trying to imagine. I say this because I thought I chose the right forum but I've seen many posts either just providing why it is we see the way we see but refuse to think outside the box. Try to think of it from another point of view, like the outside of this universe looking in. Also, try to think about how these organic complex carbons interact with this universe only using the filters they have inherited and what it would be like for them (us) if they saw what we see.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Oh my favorite crayon is blue.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Questions= Confusion

Answers= Understanding

Confusion= Disturbance

Understanding= Peace

So what we really want is to move from a disturbed state of mind to a peaceful state of mind.

When a question appears in the mind the question IS the disturbance and when the question is answered it disappears and peace is left over. So we seek the answer merely to get rid of the irritating question. The question is the itch and the answer is the scratch. There may be some pleasure in the scratching but what we really seek is the end of the itching.

So when we say we want all the answers what we really mean is we want peace. But as soon as one question is answered another one pops up. And another and another and another. So peace is to be found by learning to still the mind. Not that you wont still ask questions sometimes but you will have the ability to stop and rest in perfect repose.

This is what meditation is: practicing a technique that stills the mind. A mind that goes on questioning without the ability to stop and rest is an insane mind and this is why we see so much insanity caused by individuals and humanity as a whole.

So really what im trying to say is spend a little time practicing meditation and not just running around in circles in your mind.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by emeris

Absolutely Right.

The ultimate aim is to achieve Contentment.

Anything else is fleeting, like questions.... like answers....

There are no questions other than your own,

no answers other than your own.

Everything is personal, even God.

Amen

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by emeris

Loved this! Thank you.

I meditate and use mantras. I'm still learning mind you but it certainly brings peace and tranquility. I have much to learn in this regard but I certainly recognize a positive gain if you will. That said, sadly my brain refuses to stop thinking if I'm not meditating and it's quite the challenge to free the mind even then.

But yes I have many itches to scratch and I also know I will ask these things until the end of my existence as I know it. I can say this confidently because I am humbled by the fact that no matter how much I learn, I won't learn all that I wish.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by masta12d

Originally posted by masta12d

Oh my favorite crayon is blue.

Oh, so sorry, wrong picture.

How about this?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Lmao! Perfect!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
1. The eye question: Our eyes are cameras, which is why we see the way we do.

2. If we could see the entire light spectrum we would see our zookeepers, which would make us much harder to handle.

What? Didn't you know you are the entertainment?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 123143

If I'm the entertainment then I think the spectators should demand a refund. False advertisement or something.

"Wow mom, a talking monkey.....can I go home now?"

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I posted this on a thread and then realized perhaps I can actually have these genuine questions answered by all you smart science and philosophy folks out there.

The only real truth is what your brain perceives as fact, no? What is real?

Is a red crayon really red? Or is it every color but red?

Isn't everything we perceive really upside down and backwards and its our retinas that flip and rotate it to what we see? How would life look if we saw things just as they were? I'd imagine pretty damn confusing.

What if we could see at all wavelengths? But not the ability to switch, simply forced to view the world in infa-red, gamma, etc etc. would we be able to navigate the earth like this or would everything just be a wall of light that you couldn't see anything? Much like staring at the sun from 5 feet away.

What if you heard all sound waves at all levels? Why are we limited to such a small fraction of sound waves?

Since are ability to see and hear this universe is only a fraction of what is really out there right in front of our faces.

Our reality isn't reality at all. Kinda like playing a 16 bit video game but you can only move within 1 bit.

The truth is stranger then fiction it seems. Anyone want to tackle these question to paint a portrait of what our world really looks like without all these filters?

Reality, the word, is a pointer to what is actual. We cannot perceive eternal actuality with our senses, cognitively or with "intuition". Our human faculties work perfectly for our human purpose and experience of what is actual.

We are part of Reality. We are not separate from it. Our perception or misunderstanding is not Reality. It is a perspective of Reality. If i am a liver cell and you are a brain cell our experience of the body might be very different. We are both in and part of the body. We communicate with the body our experience and it expresses a total experience we are part of. I would suggest that as a brain cell you have the ability to experience the body but as a brain cell you cannot express that any other way other then what a brain cell's perspective of the experience would be.

Expression of the common experience as part of the whole is the most true perspective available. And it's not lacking in any way.

Reality's expression from the perspective of Reality itself is available to us because we are not separate from it. We are not humans perceiving Reality. We are reality expressed.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Over long periods of time, with enviornment, intake, and perception, the human body and mind has adapted, adjusted to the many elements that make up its world. We, like the animals and everything around us effect us in ways we may never see, but we adapt anyway. Our sences have adjusted to the 'normal range' due to the various damages caused by ultra high and very low frequency ranges of sound, also wavelegenths of light are "tuned out' as not to cause long term effects on our sight. This is a constant and normal evolving state of evolution that you may deny any way you wish, but does not change the fact. Different people can see the same thing and give completely opposite reports, but that is just normal human behavior and nothing new, not everyone can see past the blinders of ignorance or enlightenment, just the way it is. Our natural defences are part of our DNA and have evolved for a long time, We are like we are due to the many levels of our enviornment and we have the ability to, over time, change ourselves to the many things that make us up. We do not have the complete power to create superman, but over time, who knows?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by emeris

Questions= Confusion

Answers= Understanding

Confusion= Disturbance

Understanding= Peace

So what we really want is to move from a disturbed state of mind to a peaceful state of mind.

When a question appears in the mind the question IS the disturbance and when the question is answered it disappears and peace is left over. So we seek the answer merely to get rid of the irritating question. The question is the itch and the answer is the scratch. There may be some pleasure in the scratching but what we really seek is the end of the itching.

So when we say we want all the answers what we really mean is we want peace. But as soon as one question is answered another one pops up. And another and another and another. So peace is to be found by learning to still the mind. Not that you wont still ask questions sometimes but you will have the ability to stop and rest in perfect repose.

This is what meditation is: practicing a technique that stills the mind. A mind that goes on questioning without the ability to stop and rest is an insane mind and this is why we see so much insanity caused by individuals and humanity as a whole.

So really what im trying to say is spend a little time practicing meditation and not just running around in circles in your mind.

Hi Emeris, love what you have said. I would also suggest that peace is the answer because it is what is True. Discordance is a lack of Truth. Harmony is Truth expressed. Meditation can be a great way to experience Peace. We can do things to experience peace and we can be peaceful as a response to everything. That way we don't need to set aside time to realize or practice. Harmony is an expression of Reality. When we harmonize we express (or become a conduit) of Truth which is Reality. Every interaction, every thought is an opportunity to harmonize or express peace. There is nothing else to be done. Nothing else so absolutely satisfying than expressing what is real. I'm just realizing in my own life, that setting up time or scenarios in which to do this is in itself a denial of what is real in the here and now. Peace!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by emeris

sadly my brain refuses to stop thinking if I'm not meditating and it's quite the challenge to free the mind even then.
But yes I have many itches to scratch and I also know I will ask these things until the end of my existence as I know it. I can say this confidently because I am humbled by the fact that no matter how much I learn, I won't learn all that I wish.

I understand completely.

I loved the Wizard of Oz as a chlid.

In the Film, I think, many questions about Life and reality are questioned and sometimes answered....

This is the true meaning of over the rainbow.

You can travel the world in search of your heart's desire,

When all along it was right there, in your back-garden.

Who has eyes can see, who has ears can hear.

It's all about the Interpretation.

Thats where the Brain comes in.....

Check out this slideshow.
Life lessons from "The Wizard of Oz"

Peace.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

a red crayon is every color but red, as is the fact that our eye flip and rotate everything we see. Perhaps it's really a fact your walking on the ceiling.

We see red because of the sun and the light we use. Hold that crayon under different colored lights and it won't be red anymore.

True enough but then we are filtering again aren't we?

The point is that the color of a crayon is not an eternal truth.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by athousandlives

i have always wondered this too!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by meridie

So very cool! My Nan looked very,very different in person than she appeared in a mirror. I remember asking her about it. Also my voice sounds completely different in my mind. I am a nurse who happens to tape record shift reports, and i cannot stand to hear myself!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

reply to post by NorEaster

I get what your saying. But your responses are from your perceptions and your understanding of those perceptions. If we only exist in a fraction of the known universe, and again, not in the meaning of physical space, but in all densities. Then wouldn't it stand to reason our current perception of reality is fundamentally flawed? Kinda like looking at a 1000 piece jigsaw and only having one piece. And wouldn't you know it, the damn thing is all blue. *sigh* perhaps it's a skyline or an ocean? Perhaps just a piece of a giants blue sweater.

Furthermore, if we were born with the ability to see in all wavelengths, to hear in all and to be in all and it was in fact for our survival. I don't know perhaps because we are all Gods for example. And we had to fight for our existence so protecting ourselves required the use of all wave lengths. In that context, wouldn't we be able to interact in the hodgepodge of sensory override?

I'm going to reiterate the analogy of trying to drink from a fire hydrant, and let you enjoy your fun here. It doesn't matter if you really don't understand why you can't perceive literally everything that exists, and all of it at the same instant. You can't fly either. It's just the way things are.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
reply to post by masta12d

Also, seeing how I have one of the oldest profiles on ATS wouldn't it stand to reason that I was probably closer to adolescence at the time of creation of my profile?

No offence, Masta, but as you are a long term member,

hasn't all this been discussed many times on ATS?

My point is that these seem like banal, adolescent questions.

The eye assigns colour to a range of light wavelengths

that may not correspond with the colour of the wavelength itself.

We have cones in the eye which detect red, green, and yellow.

But we only detect light and colour with our eyes. (Imagine a camera lens and a CCD chip)

What we percieve is processed by our brains in a similar way to how computers process Holograms.

The brain learns which colours are which and uses this information to process visual information,

as it does with acoustic and sensory information.

Only smells are transported directly to the brain, otherwise its in a black, sealed room,

with no contact to the outside world except the electrical signals which it processes.

The world we see is made of light. How we see it depends on how the light reaches our eyes.

The sky is blue because blue frequency light is scattered by Nitrogen and oxygen molecules (Air) more than lower frequencies. Our eyes dont pick up indigo or violet very well unless it is directed, so the sky looks like a mixture of all light frequencies (white) and Blue, so it's Light blue.

The sun is yellow because yellow is the median colour in our visible light spectrum. It looks red when the sun is low, as light is scattered more and more by dust and water vapour in the lower atmosphere (air).

The tomato looks red, because the pigment "lycopene" absorbs green and blue frequencies, but reflects red light..

A leaf is green because "chlorophyll" absorbs red and blue frequencies and reflects green light.

Your favorite crayon is red because the dye in the crayon absorbs or scatters all other frequencies of light.

It is red because light (in the red bit of the spectrum of visible light) is reflected towards your eyes

Change the colour of the light source and you change the colour of the Crayon.

Every one percieves the world around them from inside a black box of sensory information.

The whole world is inside your head, an interactive personal holographic reality.

Everyones eyes have different amounts of each type of cone receptor, yet everyone, given similar circumstances percieves the world of colour exactly the same. You "see" with your brain, not with your eyes.

You see with your brain

That's why your favorite Crayon is Red.

Peace.

edit on 26/3/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: never ruin an apology with an excuse

I didnt think the OPs questions are banal or adolescent.

Its seems many people didnt understand what he meant with the red statement. If an object absorbs every color except red, doesnt that mean that object is every color except red in reality?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I couldn't resist the fire hydrant comment. Got a great chuckle. Thanks for that.

I was talking with a friend and although he too was resistant in wanting to engage in the "what ifs", i pressed him further.

I offered the idea of: what if we were of course born with these abilities? But instead of 2 eyes you had multiple receptors. He suggested a way to filter in and out more naturally so we settled on that with blinking as the trigger.

Besides, what's wrong with a little drink from a fire hydrant now and then?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

I didnt think the OPs questions are banal or adolescent. Its seems many people didnt understand what he meant with the red statement. If an object absorbs every color except red, doesnt that mean that object is every color except red in reality?

I apologise to you and the OP for the "banal / adolescent" bit, that wasn't meant to be derogatory.

I think Masta's questions are Important.

We are all presented with a communal reality, through Media, friends, family, education etc.

Although we each know that our perception of the world is unique, we adapt to a consensus reality.

As kids we don't have to, we can have "Imagination", there are no limits to what is possible or real.

As children we learn the rights and wrongs of our particular society. What is and what is not.

As adults we must conform to society's view of the world around us.

We stop questioning reality and accept it as a given fact, as presented to us.

And that's where they get us. If enough people claim something, it must be true.

They can only manipulate people as long as they can keep everyone believing in the same reality.

That's why the banking industry relies on "Trust" and "Confidence"

Once people realise that "the emperor wears no clothes" the whole system tumbles.

Anyway...

It dosen't matter what colour the crayon really is.

A Red crayon under green light looks Black, because there is no red-spectrum light to reflect.

So the crayon is really Black, unless there is red-frequency light to reflect.

If an object absorbs every color except red, doesnt that mean that object is every color except red in reality?

In Reality, It doesn't matter what you call something. A colour is just a name.

So call the "Red" Crayon "Every-color-except-red" or the yellow one "Every-color-except-yellow" and so on....

It doesn't matter. You are only making things more complicated for yourself.

I hope that makes sense.

Reality is both subjective and objective. There is no absolute truth, only lots of little truths.

We exist within timespace with 3 spatial dimensions and a time continuum.

We are all made of stardust. We are biological-fractal-holgraphic 3D projections of our DNA.

Matter is made of energy compressed by the squared speed of light. and its mostly empty space.

"Empty space" is not empty. It is full of virtual particles continuously popping in and out of existance.

This is what "empty space" looks like at the Plank scale. In space and inside every Proton and Neutron in your body.

So matter is 99% empty space, but that space is not empty....just unmeasurable.

You can see the whole world in a raindrop and the universe in an eye....

The eye turns the world upside down so the brain can make sense of it.

The universe is us, we are the universe. Pondering itself.

And so we should be.

911 was an inside job.

edit on 27/3/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: The greatest weakness of most humans is their hesitancy to tell others how they love them while the're alive. - Optimus Prime

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join