It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone want to take a shot at these questions?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by pennylemon

A duck eater or hunter would see the duck much different than a young child or a bird watcher.
It all depends what you have in mind!
The young child would be the one who really 'saw' the duck, just 'saw' the duck and not any information about 'duck'.
The others would all have 'ideas' about the duck.

Ideas are like a filter over our eyes. The ideas get in the way of true seeing.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

My apologies for the mangled use of quotes in my last post. I would say that the idea of "duck eater" and "young child" and "duck hunter" are all groups of beings, not one individual perceiving things in its own unique way.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by masta12d
The only real truth is what your brain perceives as fact, no? What is real?

What's real is what matters as being real to you. There may not be little worms in your brain driving you around like a robot, but if that's what you believe and that's how you live your life, then what difference does it make?

Is a red crayon really red? Or is it every color but red?

Color is a reflection picked up by your eyes. So it is every color but red.

Isn't everything we perceive really upside down and backwards and its our retinas that flip and rotate it to what we see? How would life look if we saw things just as they were? I'd imagine pretty damn confusing.

Since we see that way pretty much from birth, and that's how we accept reality, it's not all that confusing. Unless you are confused by the ordinary.

What if we could see at all wavelengths? But not the ability to switch, simply forced to view the world in infa-red, gamma, etc etc. would we be able to navigate the earth like this or would everything just be a wall of light that you couldn't see anything? Much like staring at the sun from 5 feet away.

I assume that if that happened, our brains would learn to discriminate between things. Our brains are pretty good at separating signal from noise.

What if you heard all sound waves at all levels? Why are we limited to such a small fraction of sound waves?

Evolution is a lot about doing the minimum possible for survival. We only hear a limited amount because that's all we need to hear.

Anyone want to tackle these question to paint a portrait of what our world really looks like without all these filters?

It would look, sound and feel like overlapping, multi-colored waves in multiple dimensions. Distracting and confusing if you've never experienced it like that before. If you were born being able to sense it that way, however, it would be just an ordinary day.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Isn't everything we perceive really upside down and backwards and its our retinas that flip and rotate it to what we see? How would life look if we saw things just as they were? I'd imagine pretty damn confusing.

Try this. Take a photograph of yourself and open it in a program like Paint. Flip/reverse the photograph. What you will see now, is your own mirror image... i.e. the 'you' that no one else sees, the one that you see every day when you look in the mirror. Does this version of 'you' look more familiar to you than the original right-way-round photograph?

Now, another question. Does your 'thinking' voice sound the same to you as your 'speaking' voice? I know mine doesn't...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So what this thread really is about is, what is the real world according to science, right?

When the science on humans is right, like we have a flipped vision of the world, than what does that make the world, right?

WHAT A....

WHAT A FREAKIN' WORLD do we live in according to science.

Science

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by masta12d

Let's finally nail this down, okay?

2+2=4 is the truth. It was true even before any intelligent life was formed. It was true before the big bang. It would remain the truth even if we were to deny it.

Truth is eternal and irrefutable.

That which is NOT eternal and irrefutable is nothing more than opinion.

edit on 3/25/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

My grandkid ate a red crayon last week. The crayon went in red, came out red. Therefore I must presume that a red crayon is indeed red- or a mixture of colors and dyes that when mixed are interpreted visually as red. If you mix ALL the colors together you get black, and absence of color is white- at least in my vast crayon using experience. Red is a primary color and usually the most used crayon in the box.

What I mean by the crayon statement is. When you see the color red for example, that object absorbs all colors but reflects red. Therefore the color isn't really red is it?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I like to think that the universe is in reality darkness and silence. Darkness because light waves are not luminous until they reach an eye of some sort, and silence because there is no sound per se until a sound wave reaches an ear of some sort. We can ask the same question if we imagine an animal that doesn't have eyes or ears, or if we imagine a blind or deaf man.

Or we can ask the following question : what sound will a falling tree make where there are no ears to hear it falling ?

We can ask the same question for time : is there a flow of time independent of a brain's perception ? If we imagine a universe where there are no brains at all, will there be a flow of time ? I think that without brains to perceive it, time will pass instantly(whether it's 1 year or 20 billion years doesn't matter), or will stretch to infinity. I am not saying that brains are actually magically slowing the flow of time, but I am saying that our brains are machines that translate reality.

Reality is indeed a lot stranger than any fiction ever imagined, and the fact that I am thinking and writing this right now is enough to blow my mind.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by straddlebug

What if time is really a static state - does not flow. There is not future, past, or present.

I tend to agree with that statement. We are linear and time is static. This also makes me think how did the patriarchs of old live to be 900+ years old.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Well if facts are facts then was the earth flat before we thought otherwise.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by masta12d

What was taught to you in school, do you believe that knowledge and moved to ask this question... Then you have ur answers.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

I agree that we need to be filtered or else we would be incapable of interacting in our 3 dimensional world (4th if you consider time).

It's rather amazing to see just how vast this universe not just in terms of space either. And we exist in such a small fraction of that as well and not just in terms of space.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I've often wondered if there are bigger hidden truths behind what our 5 sense's tell us.
I stumbled across this youtube vid a while ago and it blew my mind!....not least because I seriously want one of these panther hologram's!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

What's real is what matters as being real to you. There may not be little worms in your brain driving you around like a robot, but if that's what you believe and that's how you live your life, then what difference does it make?

Color is a reflection picked up by your eyes. So it is every color but red

Anyone want to tackle these question to paint a portrait of what our world really looks like without all these filters?

It would look, sound and feel like overlapping, multi-colored waves in multiple dimensions. Distracting and confusing if you've never experienced it like that before. If you were born being able to sense it that way, however, it would be just an ordinary day.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

Exactly so if its everything but red then isn't it brown?

If we were born that way then would everyone see ghosts, angels or anything else in higher dimensions?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

2+2=4 is the truth. It was true even before any intelligent life was formed. It was true before the big bang. It would remain the truth even if we were to deny it.

2 plus 2 does not equal 4 if you ca only count to 3.
4 is a symbol which represents 2 plus 2. There is no proof that 2 plus 2 equals 4 without a human interpreting in its own way. Truth can only be eternal if humans are.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

But that's just it. Just like 2+2=4 , a red crayon is every color but red, as is the fact that our eye flip and rotate everything we see. Perhaps it's really a fact your walking on the ceiling.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I posted this on a thread and then realized perhaps I can actually have these genuine questions answered by all you smart science and philosophy folks out there.

Tooth ache is fvcking real. When something disturbs one of your nerve endings and you feel that electric shock like sensation shoot through you like a infinite needle.Then you know whats real. PAIN.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I posted this on a thread and then realized perhaps I can actually have these genuine questions answered by all you smart science and philosophy folks out there.

The only real truth is what your brain perceives as fact, no?

no

What is real?

What occurs and the factual representation of what occurs. And that's all there is that's real.

It's red. We've labeled the color that the crayon is as being "red", and we can make that crayon "red" again and again, That means that the color is consistent and the color itself is what we've decided to label "red".

What we perceive isn't upside down or backwards, so....

What if we could see at all wavelengths? But not the ability to switch, simply forced to view the world in infa-red, gamma, etc etc. would we be able to navigate the earth like this or would everything just be a wall of light that you couldn't see anything? Much like staring at the sun from 5 feet away.

What if you heard all sound waves at all levels? Why are we limited to such a small fraction of sound waves?

Your perception capacities are limited to ensure your survival. You wouldn't last 20 minutes if you were unlimited. Kind of like trying to get a drink of water from a fire hydrant. Your psyche wouldn't survive that kind of sensory assault.

Since are ability to see and hear this universe is only a fraction of what is really out there right in front of our faces.

Our reality isn't reality at all. Kinda like playing a 16 bit video game but you can only move within 1 bit.

As a human mind, you're not ever going to be capable of perceiving reality objectively. As a being capable of subjectivity, objectivity isn't possible for you.

The truth is stranger then fiction it seems. Anyone want to tackle these question to paint a portrait of what our world really looks like without all these filters?

Good luck on anyone painting a picture of a literal Tsunami of disjointed crap flying at a screaming mind that can only think of the blissful relief to be found in permanent oblivion.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Exactly so if its everything but red then isn't it brown?

That's a semantic argument. We described it as "red" in the past because we didn't know better. What we really mean by it now is that it we perceive it as red because that is the frequency of the light we gather coming into our eyes. It doesn't matter that it's a reflection.

If we were born that way then would everyone see ghosts, angels or anything else in higher dimensions?

No. Because those things only exist in the dimension of imagination.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse

2 plus 2 does not equal 4 if you ca only count to 3.
4 is a symbol which represents 2 plus 2. There is no proof that 2 plus 2 equals 4 without a human interpreting in its own way. Truth can only be eternal if humans are.

Wow!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

a red crayon is every color but red, as is the fact that our eye flip and rotate everything we see. Perhaps it's really a fact your walking on the ceiling.

We see red because of the sun and the light we use. Hold that crayon under different colored lights and it won't be red anymore.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join