It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid White Men

page: 1

join
share:
arc

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Just bought this one and wondering whether anyone else has read it and what their views are. I am taking it all with a pinch of salt after learning about Moore's journalistic style, but what I have read so far is making me very angry regardless

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
ive been told about it, i have never bothered reading it though

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I just finished it a few weeks ago, and although I dont really like his journalistic approach, he really knows how to hit you upside the head with the hard facts. I was VERY skeptical of the book at first, but once I finished it, I totally started seeing things differently. Regardless if you like him or not, I would recommend the book to anyone for the facts alone.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Ive heard about it. The title it self i think is pretty #ty, but i havent read the book, so i dunno what its about.

Why is it acceptable to slam on white males, but anything even remotely derogitory towards women and non whites is bigotry?

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   
that's the whole thing, Michael Moore is white himself. Trust me, when you read the book it'll all make sense. And, just so you think I'm not biased. I thought the same thing, but managed to get passed the title and actually read it. you know the old saying...dont judge a book by it's cover....

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The problem is that quite a few of the supposed 'facts' are actually completely made up. That's why there is a group that is trying to get his oscar revoked.

You can't call it a documentary, if it is not factual.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I've attempted to read it, but the "hard facts" are not actually there, there's some twisting of facts and some downright fabrications, and he is also a self-loathing white.
Actually, he's more than just that, he hates the system by which he made his, and now wants to attack and destroy it so nobody else may have the opportunity.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
not tryin to start any flames here, but I'm curious which of these facts you say are twisted, and which ones are fabricated. any info would be appreciated

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Is it a book or an article? Any links?

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
From what i see the info in the book, seems like the same PC crap i can read from about any old libby or racist.

And hardly any facts that are simply a matter on ones own opinion.

Ill save my cash for more stimulating and mind opening material.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah, Illmatic, www.michaelmoore.com... is the website, they had an awesome forum on there but isnt up anymore

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I want to correct myself. I was referring to 'Bowling for Columbine'

I bet I can find some info on this book also. I'm sure the same tactics were used here as they were in 'Bowling for Columbine'

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Here ya go.

www.opinionjournal.com...

"In print, too, Mr. Moore plays fast and loose with the facts. In his "Stupid White Men," his best-selling book, he blithely states that five-sixths of the U.S. defense budget in 2001 went toward the construction of a single type of plane and that two-thirds of the $190 million that President Bush raised in his 2000 campaign came from just over 700 individuals, a preposterous assertion given that the limit for individual contributions at the time was $1,000.
When CNN's Lou Dobbs asked Mr. Moore about his inaccuracies, he shrugged off the quesiton. "You know, look, this is a book of political humor. So, I mean, I don't respond to that sort of stuff, you know," he said.

"Glaring inaccuracies?" Mr. Dobbs said.

"No, I don't. Why should I? How can there be inaccuracy in comedy?"

Mr. Moore would deserve an Academy Award if there were an Oscar for Best Cinematic Con Job. If "Bowling for Columbine" is a comedy, most of its fans don't know it. They actually believe they're watching something that is in rough accord with reality."

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
No flame taken, just exchanges of thoughts and ideas.
Many of his historical references as well as statistical references were incorrect, a couple I remember were so inaccurate to be considered a lie. I don't recall specifics, and I didn't keep the book. I was afraid that I might die in a traffic accident and when kinfolk pilfered through my belongings would find it and think I was undeucated enough to believe Moore's editorializing in the name of "non-fiction".

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's some more.

www.spinsanity.org...

"As I showed in April, Stupid White Men is riddled with inaccuracies and ad hominem attacks. In it, Moore claims that five-sixths of the 2001 defense budget went towards a single plane and that two-thirds of President Bush's campaign funds came from just over seven hundred people. Both facts are obviously untrue to anyone remotely familiar with the defense budget or campaign finance law and are disproved by the very sources Moore cites. He accuses former President Clinton of having "kick[ed] ten million people off of welfare," assuming that every person who left the rolls during the '90s boom was brutally left to fend for herself, rather than leaving for a job. The book is riddled with similarly absurd arguments, most notably that the recession is a creation of the wealthy who "are wallowing in the loot they've accumulated in the past two decades, and now they want to make sure you don't come a-lookin' for your piece of the pie."

arc

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
just out of interest (and because I'm not American) - how accurate is the chapter on the presidential vote? Were people really struck off the electoral role because they shared names and other similarities with felons?

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This isn't on 'Stupid White Men' but just on 'Bowling'

www.nationalreview.com...

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I think this link pretty much describes the pathetic misinformation attempt.

Link - Stupid White Men

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here's something on his book 'Kill Whitey'

Link - Kill Whitey

He sure picks the best names, doesn't he?
This guy is clearly a pathetic loser.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   
In 'Stupid White Men' he claims that the hole in the ozone layer is growing rapidly, as if it is the white man's fault. But it has been confirmed that the hole is actually shrinking.

www.usatoday.com...

www.smh.com.au...

science.nasa.gov...

www.cbsnews.com...

top topics

join