It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you vote for someone to tell you how to live your life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I pose this question.
When you go to the polls on an election day, whether you are casting for POTUS, your US Congressman, Senator, State level reps, mayor, county commissioner, or dog catcher, you are basically telling that person, via your vote for them, that they are smarter, wiser, and an overall better decision maker than you are. Please go represent me, and do what's best for me.
When stated that way it seems so silly that people will cast a vote with little or no real information about what that person will do once in power. Not that most of that information is not available, and hopefully somewhat honest, it is just that most voters wish to exercise that right without fulfilling their responsibility that goes along with their Power they wield at the ballot box. A great example....when I was twenty two I supported Ross Perot (i know, i know). I thought he made financial sense and somewhat predicted this mess we are in today. My girlfriend at the time supported Bill Clinton. Why? She couldn't tell you one thing about his positions, policies, or character. She voted for him because.......she thought he was good looking.
My mother...God Bless her I love her very much...would not vote for John McCain four years ago...or Mitt Romney this last go around not because she is a democrat per se' or because of any policies or speeches or debates but because "she just don't like his looks".
Now for my question.
How do we get this situation corrected ? How do we get Americans to pay attention and vote what they really believe based on the information available? Not...."he gonna take care of me...he gonna get me a new kitchen....he gonna get me a new car. Not...."he is good looking, he is charming, I am going to vote for him"
Not....I heard on the news he once left his dog on top of the car. I heard he was a draft dodger. I heard he wants to take away social security.
But instead....I will vote for him, he is a strict constitutionalist. I will vote for him because he wants to leave the power in the hands of the people that voted for him. I will vote for him because of his stance on the war, he wants to end it or he doesn't....which ever. But that is my point, how do we get a system where the populace that votes, is an informed, thinking, voting their true beliefs electorate?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
A vote should have a weight associated to the IQ of the voter.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by danneu89

If only that were possible.
I have contemplated a "poll intelligence test", though I know it wouldn't pass constitutionality.
Perhaps having to have proof of actually watching a debate, at least visited a candidates web site.
Heck I don't know....that's why I asked the question!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
How about a voters license? You got to prove you know the laws of the road and can physically control an automobile to legally drive. If you want to vote how about a very basic American history test, current events awareness, etc. test. Good for four years and then renew? Bad Idea?????

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Why vote at all? Do you really think your vote counts? Think the system is on the level?.....Really? When you vote for a sociopath to represent you give up your power to create the future to a malicious system that by this manner steals energy/power from the voting masses of useful idiots. Sovereign unto yourself.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The low information voter is the Democrats bread and butter. They can say anything and the low information voter will believe it. Like Harry Reid saying that the military accident recently that killed 7 marines was caused by the Sequester. Probably 35% believed him. 80% of high school graduates in New York that applied to Community college could barely read and write. Democrats take full advantage of low IQ/low information voters. Republicans assume nobody is that stupid.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

It is my opinion that the low information voter is every candidates bread and butter because it seems the vast majority of voters for either party are low information.

I can positively guarantee you that there were some voters voted for other than Obama because they are racist and just didn't want a black man in the office.

I can also guarantee you there were voters in Texas that voted for Bush back in 2000 simply because he was well known in Texas and from here, without a clue what he was about, even though he had years as governor here because they didn't pay attention to that either! (personally I thought he did a good job as governor here and then was very disapointed with his presidental performance.)

They voted for Schwartzenager (I know I just butchered that) out in Cali because he was a movie star, he was cool!

Same with Clinton.
Same with Reagan.
Now the same with Obama!

Only flaw in that theory....how the hell does Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, and their ilk get elected? Strange folks in that part of the country I guess...no rock star appeal there.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I'm convinced they arent voting for someone to control their lives. They're voting for someone to control everyone elses life.

I'd vote for somebody who's anti-gun because I dont like guns.
I'd vote for somebody who's all in for wealth redistribution because I dont have anything.
I'd vote for somebody who's all about bombing brown people because they scare me.

They arent telling me how to live because I already live like a frightened, dependent lunatic. They're just telling all you "independent" types how to live your lives.

This nation is an asylum and I'm a nutty patient who doesnt want people like you to set me off so I elect wardens and doctors to make me feel safe. Safe from all of you.

Is how they vote.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This has been the system for centuries though. If only we could all just stop listening to what ere "told" to do fo the greater "good" of our country. The problem lies always with the people not he ystem. he ystem s easier to blame though lol

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A morally corrupt society gets its own iniquities dumped back on its head.
A nation of liars get leaders who lie and deceive.
A nation of thieves get leaders who are crooks.
A nation who murders it's children gets leaders who value no life.
A nation who reject obedience to Jesus Christ get leaders in the occult.
A nation who are angry and full of rage get leaders who are masochists.
A nation who glorify greed gets leaders who are crooks.

We live in the great day of judgement. All authority is appointed by Him who truly reigns over us. We may think that our votes determine the outcome, but we err - He does.

It's simple from the above examples. Our leaders have made us hypocrites, and therefore we somehow think that a nation of liars, murderers, disobedient, angry, raging and greedy people deserve truthful, obedient, humble peacemakers as leaders. Truth be told, I couldn't see it either until a few years ago.

Choose good and get life.
Choose evil and get death.

As defined by your Creator - not man.
God is Our Helper, Our Healer, Our Protector and Our Saviour, yet we have chosen to put men in those roles.
The solution is as it has always been - repent of our choices and paths. Let Him give us peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Not only is the idea of voluntarily giving your rights and agency to someone else utterly absurd, the chronic voter also reveals his arrogance. Voters, by electing those who ascribe to this ideology or that--and having identified with said ideology themselves--are essentially forcing their personal will on others, backed by that monopoly on violence we call government. "I think things should be done this way, therefore you have to do them this way... or else."

No one should be able to tell you how to live your life--least of all "the voting public". Have you seen these people?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The very posing of such a question, illuminates the problem with the modern understanding of politics and democracy. When one elects a "leader" or a political party into office of any scale or importance, one is NOT installing a leader in reality. The position of Prime Minister for instance, is not supposed to be one in which is concentrated the entire executive power in the British Isles and United Kingdom as a whole. Rather, that position is supposed to be that of representative, of our entire nation, to the world, and as enforcer of the will of the people, over the law and the administration within the country.

This definition has become muddied up, and buggered about with to such a degree that people are generally ignorant of it, or at the very least ignorant of its implications. First, and foremost of these implications, as far as I can make out, is that it has been an awfully long time since we have had a Prime Minister who actually performed in the role as described. I would say the last person to hold that role and do a proper job of it, was Winston Churchill, during the second world war (However, it must be said that he was utter tosh as a peace time PM).

Since that time we have had a succession of people in and out of parliament who have been more interested in furthering the goals of thier political party and its supporters, than they have been in actually representing our people accurately and fairly to the rest of the world, or indeed administering our collective will on the law and departments under thier control at the time. Margret Thatcher, for instance, made a bloody mess of everything she touched and had NO real interest in the opinions or the needs of the majority in the country at the time, prefering as she did, to make greed and corruption virtues to live up to, rather than things to avoid by honest hard work and sweat. Regardless of the ignorant spew that speaks against this view of her actions, I am of a generation which felt the bite of her careless and vile tyranical obsession with destroying workers rights. Because of her I spent the first five years of my life thinking that the addition of cheese to a dish of beans on toast made it a slap up meal, when actually our family was in desperate poverty and living in a disgraceful and probably condemnable home. This despite my father working for the MoD.

Our elected officials, attain office by way of lies mainly, and have done for some years. They lie about what they intend to do once elected, knowing full well that no manifesto they can concieve of will EVER be implimented in full , or even close to it. They lie about what motivates them to want to be politicians in the first place, they lie about thier expenses, and thier speeding offences, and about thier character. Even the best of them is worth less than the bullets it would take to remove them from the face of the earth, making them very difficult to remove them from office.

It is ignorance mixed with apathy which allows this mess to continue. So, get the word out. Your nations "leaders" are supposed to be your slaves, your puppets. The PEOPLE have the power, not the representatives, but the people themselves. A failiure to enforce your will, on the part of those you have elected will always be a treason against your number, and has a punishment attatched to it. Let your nations political class hear that you understand this vital point. Where this information is not known spread it. Where people show they have no interest, or do not care, make them see that they can change thier lives, and the direction of thier nations, if only they grasp this single ideal, and value and protect it! Shout your understanding of these things into the ears of every seat of government the whole length of your nation, and FORCE your government to act in the manner you would wish, by overwhelming them with your understanding that in electing them, you are electing people to speak for you, not people you should be obeying.

For too long this has been misunderstood by all and sundry, and this fact leads all free people to ruin. Make it known, rebalance the scales upon which rest your freedom and your liberty.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I think the best place to start would be for us to stick to the "facts" and discontinue the use of biased statements deliberately intended to falsely portray one party in a negative light.

For instance, despite the fact that you started this thread posing the question of how do we get voters to pay closer attention and make informed decisions reflecting their true beliefs, the picture you painted of our current situation is quite slanted indeed.

Did you happen to notice, that in your description of how we currently process our voting decisions, you laid out a scenario where on the one side everything is stated as if it were fact, while on the other side everything is alleged?

For example, when describing the democratic side of the ticket, everything is "he gonna take care of me..." or "he gonna get me...," but when describing the republican side, everything is "I heard....."

How do we get Americans to pay attention and vote what they really believe based on the information available? Not...."he gonna take care of me...he gonna get me a new kitchen....he gonna get me a new car. Not...."he is good looking, he is charming, I am going to vote for him"

vs.

Not....I heard on the news he once left his dog on top of the car. I heard he was a draft dodger. I heard he wants to take away social security.

Can't you see how easy it is to get off on the wrong foot?
edit on 22-3-2013 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Texas - the question you pose at the end of your OP...how do we...? If anyone can answer that, let me know. Not because I so much care which egomaniac is president, senator, etc., but because I can't even find kids (meaning 16-25-ish) who can clean, take out garbage, paint, close boxes, etc. I have decided that the majority of people are idiots. Not all, but a laaaarge majority. Therefore, simple minds.

Now it is true that to some degree the subconscious mind is better at picking up the subtleties that point to personality, so not "liking the looks of someone" can probably in many cases be a better judge than what is coming out of their mouths. The fact remains - most are dumb, amd easily manipulated. Probably at least half of Republican voters are motivated by fear and half of Democratic voters by perceived "freebies" to come.

Nothing can really be done, short of the occasional rogue teacher or parent teaching their children not whether to vote this way or that...but to learn how to THINK.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

It’s like living in a fantasy world, and each new idea creates a new twist to the plot that never has any actual ending, because the social media stops people from actually BEHEADING the queen or the Pope or the presidents and instead keeps us in a dream state of socially interconnected nonsense!
Welcome to your self-created and perpetuated Matrix – Facebook, Infowars, Youtube
That is why social media was invented and so well funded by governments and corporations – not to connect the people to the world but to disconnect the people of our country by making them interconnected in their minds.

This is the Matrix....

We are victims of our own ignorance and willful consent and compliance to the tyranny and oppression......

top topics

join