It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latin American Communities Fight to Protect Heirloom Seeds From Monsanto

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
All I can say to this is I hope they can hold out against these @#!%. Mexico was trying to preserve heritage strains and discovered that their seeds had, somehow, been polluted with GM garbage. Probably intentionally. That was around Oaxaca.

Monsanto, Archer Daniels Midland, you name it, they're dirty.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 123143

Thanks for bringing this awareness up! Around here Monsanto had to rebrand themselves thanks to a tarnished image. My friend talked to sales reps visiting the rural farming area I live and confirmed this.

These guys know darn well what they're peddling, at the same time swearing the science proves it is ok for your health.

As others mention, a lot of the farmers don't know what GMO and Roundup / other products really do. To them, it means an increased harvest yield and less work. They may have a health issue arise after using Monsanto/whitelabeled products, but never make the connection between Monsatan products and their health. So they go to a doctor who sells them pills, which doesn't permanently "fix" anything, just band-aids the underlying issue.

To further entice farmers to use their products, these Monsatan reps were offering motorcycles and other products for the farmers to sign a contract. Sigh. I saw my "neighbors" (not that I have any close ones) sprayed roundup on their terraces to kill the weeds, I guess they were too lazy to pull them. A few months later the weeds are back and now they have planted sweet potatoes there. Ugh..

Some farmers do know the difference though and don't use any chemicals because they think it tastes better, and I agree.

Just curious in what ways farmers here can fight when it is up to an individual farmer to decide for himself to use their products on his land? Besides peer pressure and being organized, I would love ideas.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
If your farmers can hold out and save your native seeds instead of using US seeds you'll be okay. I don't know how long you can hold out though. The entire planet is under enormous pressure by US agricultural interests.

I'm very embarrassed to admit that our corporations here are only interested in your money not your health. You should do what is best for you. Protect yourselves.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Everyone should tell them to get lost. It shouldn't be this difficult or expensive to eat organic. Nature provides just fine without them messing with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Now only if North American farmers and companies were able to say no to Monsanto...

You may have to explain this for me.
Why is it that a North American farmer cannot say no to Monsanto?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Now only if North American farmers and companies were able to say no to Monsanto...

You may have to explain this for me.
Why is it that a North American farmer cannot say no to Monsanto?

Almost all the seeds, pesticides and herbicides are patented in the US. They are also genetically modified to work in tandem with each other. Farmers are prohibited by law from saving their own seeds.

It is pure corporate greed and should be illegal, but this being the US, madness reigns.
edit on 3/13/13 by 123143 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 123143
Almost all the seeds, pesticides and herbicides are patented in the US. They are also genetically modified to work in tandem with each other. Farmers are prohibited by law from saving their own seeds.

None of this really answers my question.
Why cant a North American farmer buy seeds from a different seed company, other than Monsanto?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by 123143

None of this really answers my question.
Why cant a North American farmer buy seeds from a different seed company, other than Monsanto?

Monsanto holds many of the patents.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread OP. I travelled to Sth America a few years back and I was blown away by some of their very simple food - beautiful varieties of potato and corn that i've never seen. The taste was great and I know that there are a huge amount of different types of corn for example that aren't found anywhere else.

If those a-hats at Monsanto manage to get their evil crops into those areas, then we can kiss goodbye these beautiful crops.

Really hope that more and more people stand up to them!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Sigh Masanto... Hate those guys man. Thats why I am investing in Aquaponics.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Did you know that "humans" are a GMO?

Human Genetics

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Another fantastic post CE. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the evil of Monsanto.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Great job Latin America! Example to everyone. Crazy how Monsanto has done so much damage already to NA in particular, but somehow small, not-as-developed countries are managing to keep them out.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hang onto them as if your life depended on them ...it does!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
These flags show that there is a lot of support to challenge monsanto's destructive and overpowering tactics. Monsanto thinks they are god in the food industry when in fact they are a master of deception, the spawn of the devil. Nothing good will come out of Monsanto except the severe lowering of the population of the world. Their products are in everything.....It is a setup. Am I paranoid....no, people have the right to eat any poison that they want......Little hint, we are consuming way too much of the chemistry of Soy and corn today without the neutralizing chemistry. Not so much the GM of it that is bad as is it the soy itself.

Look at the whole picture.
edit on 13-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Great thread, not only do genetically modified plant's pose an ecological niche threat due to the possibility of becoming the dominant strain and cross contaminating none GM strain's through cross pollination but as you article quite rightly point's out they also pose an evolutionary change by promoting alteration and adaptation in the entomological specie's and the food chain there on up, but more worryingly these type of Frankenstein crop's which are not properly regulated (money has that effect even in the face of international public criticism) and the long term medical implication's of the biological and chemical alteration's on human evolution are also not yet understood.

It is typical of large corporation's to try to make the third world there target and they tend to exploit the poor and the needy as well as use them for cheap labour, is it any wonder they are willing to poison them, the house of common's on Britain has it's own farm supplier's and they only have the very best with no GM on the menu for the MP's, I wonder if a similar arrangement exists stateside and would dearly love to see what Monsanto's corporate elite feed there loved one's and themselves.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

IMO the entire Monsanto board should be up in court on charges of crimes against humanity..period.

And if not, i would not advocate, but not be adverse to some 'gun nut' (or humanitarian) preventing them from committing further disasterous harm in the name of simple profit, to our species, by some other means.

Who ever said France were spineless? They obviously ain't!

Neither are the other European countries following suit, and neither are S. American countries either it seems.

Just waiting on the good old US of A to wake up and ignore the $ signs....
edit on 13-3-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 123143

MONSATO SEED- has done more to destroy this world than you all know . ask any farmer in the americas that dares to grow and advertize they natural crops for sale .especially when the governmental inspectors goose step in and destroy their crops and seeds on them with no repayment for damages ,all compliments of this slimy company that has publicly stated that we are not entitled to have healthy food for our tables and children .
we need them to come clean as to what they have crossed our food source with to genetically modify it and we should have a choice as to what we buy and eat instead of some self serving little pukes telling us what is good for us by their standards.
funny thing is most of our livestock will not eat this crop and we wonder where the hell the bees are going ,oh that is right monsatos crops don`t need pollination ,what is wrong with this picture . simple fact is that about 60% of our honey in the stores is fake it is man made.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

We are to late, but hopefully they can stop them before it is to late. GM Crops have a bad record and we barely have scraped the skin on this issue. People in the US will soon see the horrifying effects.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Since Monsanto owns the patents on reproduction, anyone else growing crops for seed production is infringing on their patent i.e., breaking the law. Even the pollen may travel across property lines and "pollute" other monsanto farmers and this is also an infringement. They then sue the farmer in court and wear them down financially.

I can't find the video now (there are so many). One poor seed farmer was forced by Monsanto lawyers in court into giving up names of other farmers he sold seed to. Monsanto even has their own security and investigative service to test for compliance. Anyone found in "breach of contract" can be shut down and find themselves in endless court proceedings while their crops die.

Its beyond ridiculous. Somebody find the video...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join