It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Learning Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If there is one thing I have learned during my time on ATS it's that there are many intelligent and knowledgeable people that come to this site that wield a variety of skills.

Some members are computer whiz's, some are artists, others are accountants....etc.

Now I am a pretty busy person. I don't have the time or resources to go take a class or find someone to assist me in learning the things I need to learn. Wouldn't it be convenient and extremely helpful if I could find a fellow member that has the know-how to teach or assist me in my area of need?

For example: In my freetime, I do voiceover work for a few people I know. That includes cartoons, webshows, podcasts and documentary work.

That being said, I know how to setup the equipment properly to record on 4/8 track recording equipment, but I am trying to run my setup through a computer. I do not know exactly how to do it and I could use someone wiser to show me what needs to be done (software and hardware) to make the computer handle the recordings.

One of my fellow members has the skills I need to tap....but how do I find and connect with that member?

Others may want help learning Spanish, or how to learn new painting techniques. The possibilities are endless and it would allow members to give more to the site and to their fellow ATS'ers.

It's just a thought, but why couldn't we support our ATS community and it's members by having a central location to offer or receive assistance or training in specific areas?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Although it would be really nice and all, the purpose of the site is to discuss conspiracies. There are many other sites out there for various interests that already exist for the purpose of sharing knowledge and getting assistance.

We can't really depend on ATS to be an all encompassing site that covers every particular interest we may have. It serves its purpose and gives a location to discuss various topics relating to conspiracies as well as branching off into generalized topics. If it were to continue to stretch, it would lose it's main focus and the quality would decrease. We've seen this happen through the years with AOL, MySpace, Facebook and other social networking areas that lost their main focus and suffered because of it.

It doesn't need to be a "supermart" or all encompassing site, it needs to focus on its main purpose and be the best it can be at that purpose instead of just being mediocre in many, many different things.

Only my opinion of course.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I think its a great idea personally. Not sure if the staff or owners would go down the whole 'help forum' idea fully, but maybe it could be looked into the same way the pets forum was approached. We basically posted in GCC with the title [PETS] to be specific what it was about.

Maybe it could be something in general chit chat, but with a specific title, such as [HELP] or something to that effect.

There are so many people with so many varied skills on here, I think it could be a very valueable idea to the site.

Just my 2c.

ETA: On your specific problem though, I really have no clue how to help. Sorry.

edit on 5/3/2013 by 74Templar because: ETA

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The motto of this website is deny ignorance. Given that an under informed member can show themselves up in some very aggravating ways sometimes, I think that not only is this a good idea which speaks to the core values of the site, but will potentially improve the contributions of the membership.

I love ATS. I have always appreciated, DEEPLY appreciated the oppertunity it provides me to sharpen my wit, to have my mind stimulated, and as a forum which offers me an oppertunity to speak my mind and use the more... random bits of information I have aquired over the course of my life, to illuminate a subject, and to discuss it.

That appreciation means that I see this place as quite a bit more than a simple discussion forum, or a conspiracy site. The people here, no matter which side of a debate they take, have a certain ineffable quality, something that makes thier thinking unique. I believe that this place has allowed me to improve my intellectual capability over the time I have been a member.

I would love to see ATS become a hub of all knowledge, where one can learn both through interaction with its contents, but also under the mentorship of some of its members and FSME's. I think it would offer a forum for informal learning which would be very helpful ,and good for the site.

I cannot get across just how much I love this idea.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Very well said!

ATS has helped me in the same way you described and I believe it's members are full of untapped resources that could better the community and personally.

Alas, it does not seem like this idea is getting much traction.....so be it.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by TrueBrit

Very well said!

ATS has helped me in the same way you described and I believe it's members are full of untapped resources that could better the community and personally.

Alas, it does not seem like this idea is getting much traction.....so be it.

Yep, the way I see it too! More of a community than simply a facebookish comment site for conspiracy discussion ONLY. We have some outstanding folks here... including within the mods and admins.. as recently shown in a thread. I dont like to derail threads when I can refrain from it ( LOL!) but I have u2u a particularly interesting member here or there with knowledge on a subject I need... and 9 times out of 10 they have been wonderful. ONE very popular member here is just as much of an ass privately as publically though. Knowledge hoarders annoy me.
It would be nice to have a place to get info, discuss things.... and these things may even help us better discuss the conspiracies. Many of the conspiracy discussions I only read as I feel I do not know enough about one thing or another to contribute accurately to the discussion.

Saying this board is for conspiracy only is inaccurate. To understand a conspiracy and debate it, you must have peripheral knowledge of the subject... or youll swallow it hook, line and sinker. I feel thats one of the largest problems here on ATS.To bash this idea is to promote ignorance, and undereducated decisions posters may make concerning conspiracies. I imagine oversight of the area would be a problem as mods are already stretched thin... who knows though. Some of these mods are passionate about their own areas of expertise

Nice idea OP! I have 2 areas of expertise Id definitely share and the credentials to back it up if it needs to be shown to the administration for participation.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Early Fall I was having computer problems & I did find
a thread on ATS in regards to computer help. Sorry I do not
remember the thread but there may have been more than one
& there was a wealth of information. I was very thankful.
All I did was type in a search & got lucky.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I've been lucky enough to converse with a few Mods in the debate/research/writer forums. They are fair, intelligent and willing to assist in more ways than I could tell you.

Now I just need to get a couple to teach me some computer stuff and we'd be all set!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Side note: SS, depending on what you're trying to do I could probably at least point you in the right direction. If it's mostly basic voice over recording and you need a decent workflow, I could certainly talk you through that part at least. Maybe U2U through your goals / requirements perhaps if haven't found a person already.

We did have (and still kind of do) have subject matter experts for a while. I suppose an issue there is how does one define a person with knowledge, and combining it with possible requests and exchanges of services raises some other head aches I imagine for staff and ATS members alike.

There are a few places for people to meet / look for others in a way such as the projects area. Some people do fill out their interests etc etc ... Personally though I'd be very reluctant to declare myself knowing things about anything, and I think many others are reluctant to believe anyone who claims to have info at ATS.

I've seen persons just ask for advice in off-topic so perhaps that is an option?

top topics

join