It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asprin Use Linked To Blindness In The Elderly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

www.m edicaldaily.com

In the largest study of its kind, Australian researchers found that taking Aspirin regularly can put the elderly at a higher risk for an age-related blindness, macular degeneration

Macular degeneration occurs when the light sensitive cells in the back of the eye start dying either because the blood vessels in the back are leaking (wet Macular Degeneration) or when the retina starts to thin and the cells start dying (Dry Macular Degeneration). Smoking is a known factor that contributed
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The reason why I posted this is BAN is to show how useful the FDA is.

People always say, what if the FDA didn't exist?
What about all the drugs today that have insane side effects like Celebrex but are still being sold?

Look at aspartame.

MODS you can move if you wish, but the purpose of this was to show that there is no use of the FDA.

Big Govt. only auctions off big powers.

www.m edicaldaily.com

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

there is no use of the FDA.

Hey, its green pasture for all of the Monsanto execs....
The breeze keeps blowing around that revolving door.

Sad state of affairs it is...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I had to stop taking aspirin many years ago so to gastrointestinal issue and thank goodness..

I already have a disease in my eyes and legally blind in one, last thing I need is more complications and I am not young..

GREAT find OP

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I don't believe this is evidence of the effectiveness of the FDA.

It's well known that aspirin has many side effects. It's no secret. It's not recommended to be taken for more than 2 weeks.
They do recommend very small doses to prevent heart related problems.

Now this study, doesn't indicate the dosages that were being used. If it was 75mg, it would be a big deal.
If it's 1000mg, which I would bet it is, Then it really isn't a big deal because most people aren't put on that large of a dose of aspirin for that long. (I see the link they provided in the article, I'll check out the doses they were using.)
edit on 5-3-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Greetings friends.... I take 75mg a day and with
out any issue at all.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
Greetings friends.... I take 75mg a day and with
out any issue at all.

No immediate issue is what you mean.

If we only worried about immediate issues then even pro-big govt. would be anti-FDA lol.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well use to use asprin and a little bit of peanut butter to kill mice as everyone knows that mice are used to test drugs before it goes to human consumption right?

Doesn't take too much to connect the dots here besides asprin is a petroleum by product.
edit on 5-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The reason why I posted this is BAN is to show how useful the FDA is.

I'm not sure why you're associating this with the FDA.

Aspirin is one of our older drugs available -- and has been available and in use since ancient Egypt. Purified forms of acetylsalicylic acid (standardized strength) were first manufactured by chemists in the late 1890's. The FDA didn't begin regulating drugs until after 1900.

People always say, what if the FDA didn't exist?
What about all the drugs today that have insane side effects like Celebrex but are still being sold?

If you think those are bad, you should read about the treatment methods for syphilis (basically they killed you by giving you mercury) and other diseases.

Big Govt. only auctions off big powers.

Aspirin is a generic drug... anyone can make it. Nobody bid for it, but you do have to prove that it's a certain strength and purity (you can't mix it with other stuff or sell .001 mg aspirin (homeopathic "aspirin") as real 75 mg aspirin.)

The article you cite has been both praised and criticized -- one of the problems with the study is that it doesn't ask if they took aspirin for other reasons (such as arthritis, where they'd be taking other drugs that could add to the problem.) It's also pointed out that the people in the study were self-reporting (relying on remembering when they started using aspirin and how often and how much and what else they took over a 5 year period. While we SHOULD keep those records, most of us don't.)

It's certainly something for people to note who have eye problems. I have a friend with macular degeneration and I will advise her to be careful in her aspirin usage.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
... besides asprin is a petroleum by product.
edit on 5-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

A close look at the chemical reactions that produce aspirin don't show any petroleum products being used. I'm not sure where you got your information. Do you have a link?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Here:

www.ranken-energy.com...

And here:

3. Baby aspirin. For centuries, people have known that willow bark and meadowsweet could be used to treat aches, pains and fevers, but it wasn't until the late 19th century that the chemical responsible, salicin, was isolated and used to create aspirin. Today, most aspirin is created synthetically using phenol, a compound that is derived from crude oil.

www.mnn.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Doesnt a low dose of baby aspirin significantly reduce the chance of a heart attack? I saw that on Dr.Oz..

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ah. Thanks for the info. No, I didn't realize that this was petroleum chemistry. Makes sense, though -- much more efficient than grinding up a gazillion willow trees to get the compound.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
Doesnt a low dose of baby aspirin significantly reduce the chance of a heart attack? I saw that on Dr.Oz..

Yes -- the mechanism is that it's a blood thinner and tends to prevent clots from forming (as you age, the arteries of your body develop little pouches where the artery walls are weak. Blood clots form there.) You can use gingko biloba, but gingko does react badly with some meds. Gingko is generally not a standardized product as to strength.

An aspirin regimen is not recommended for everyone, however. The medical profession recommends that you talk to a doc (or your pharmacist) before taking it to be sure it's not going to interfere with something you may be taking already.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

www.m edicaldaily.com

In the largest study of its kind, Australian researchers found that taking Aspirin regularly can put the elderly at a higher risk for an age-related blindness, macular degeneration

Macular degeneration occurs when the light sensitive cells in the back of the eye start dying either because the blood vessels in the back are leaking (wet Macular Degeneration) or when the retina starts to thin and the cells start dying (Dry Macular Degeneration). Smoking is a known factor that contributed

very interesting..

top topics

join