It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa "Hemmorhaging Elephants" at Record Rate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This is going to be very very politically incorrect..........It is not the land and nature that has failed the people it is the people that are the failure.

Instead if trying to build communities and raise healthy kids they rape the land for everything it is worth and when then land has nothing more to give they rape anything else they can. In the next ten years Africa will fall apart.

How many save the children and save the animals campaigns will it take? The hard truth is it will never work the people are to far gone for help.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Guys to kill other animals for no reason is just like killing another part of you and it still increases your Kharmic debts

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Greetings, ATS.

This is horrific news. According to Discovery News, 62% of all forest elephants have been killed over the past decade.

oo Maisels of the World Conservation Society led the research. WCS spokesperson Stephen Sautner shared these findings from the study with Discovery News: ·

A rapid trend towards extinction is expected — potentially within the next decade — of the forest elephant, according to the authors.

· Almost a third of the land where African forest elephants were able to live 10 years ago has become too dangerous for them.

· Forest elephants were increasingly uncommon in places with high human density, high infrastructure density such as roads, high hunting intensity, and poor governance as indicated by levels of corruption and absence of law enforcement.

· Research carried out by the CITES-MIKE program has shown that the increase in poaching levels across Africa since 2006 is strongly correlated with trends in consumer demand in the Far East, and that poaching levels are also strongly linked with governance at the national level and poverty at the local scale. This has resulted in escalating elephant massacres in areas previously thought to be safe.

Could our generation see the last of the forest elephants? I hate to think so....but this seems to indicate that unless drastic measures are taken, these majestic beasts will become extinct.

This saddens me. The elephant is an amazing creature, intelligent and strong. To think it may soon be gone is distressing, to say the least.

I guess the only thing we can do (I'm referring to the average person on the internet) is to get the word out about what is happening. So pass the news along, my friends.

This is a horrific indication that humanity may be beyond the capacity to loose what is needed to balance the scale. I bow my head in utter shame as to what we have become. Tigers, Rhino's and now elephants, all majestic creatures that have not done a thing to deserve such a fate. Sounds harsh but I hope I get to live to the day when human extinction hits discovery news.

Thank for bringing this to attention
edit on 6-3-2013 by FreeThinkerbychoice because: Grammar tisk tisk.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Whenever I read or hear about animals going extinct of being killed I always remember the first time I saw this video.
Its footage of the last tazmanian tiger kept in captivity. I remember a friend of mine showing me the video and feeling so sad when I thought of that animal dying in captivity instead of in nature how it should have. :/

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I live in South Africa. Here we hear of Rhino's being killed each week.

The worst thing for me is that my family in the past were heavily involved in the conservation of wildlife in the Natal Province where I eventually grew up

I still have a good friend who works for the conservation team in Natal and he told me last year that there are many more animals killed each year which we never hear about in the News media due to the poachers being assisted by the actual people who are being paid to protect the animals

Even our President walks around at traditional functions with a Leopard skin draped over his shoulder as a status symbol

The main threat I agree is coming from the East. Where before we had small scale poaching for bush meat and skins we now have a well organised and armed group looking to destroy an entire animal just for its horns, skin or tusks

All I can say is we should setup "farms". Breed these species. Protect them but when they get "old" and their ends are near then "cull" them and harvest their important bits. Sell those and then use that money to pay all the people you have hired to protect the stock.

Simple

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Africa "Hemmorhaging Elephants" at Record Rate

Guess why...

/hint

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join