It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ammunition Shortage Sucks...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
I have been stockpiling for 10 years now. Instead of putting money into my 401K, I invested in Ammo.

I am smiling like a cat in a cheese factory right now.

I would sell it all now and buy more when the prices go down.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

The same advice for guns bought for investment....SELL!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm good on .556. 22, 40 cal and 00 buck, but I can't get 300 blackout anywhere....getting to the point I'll make my own.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of squeezing the trigger and a quarter flying out the barrel. Love plinking with a .22 LR.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I don't have to "shoot in the garden". In Arizona we have millions and millions of open desert and mountains to go target practice at not to mention dozens if not hundreds of shooting ranges.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Lol, these days, you can squeeze the trigger and send a couple bucks flying out the barrel.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Get used to this folks, we have at least 4 more years of this to look forward to; maybe more. I would love to think this is a temporary blip as long as half of congress in the hands of the Antis and a willing president sits in the white-house the market is going to remain superheated. The ONLY people losing out right now are the consumers; the gun companies and ammo manufacturers are all getting paid, the dirtbag stores gouging prices or doing other underhanded things are getting paid; and the consumer just keeps shelling out whatever absurd price is stuck to the various guns or ammo they are able to come across.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Companies like Cheaper Than Dirt are exacerbating the situation....but then again we do live in America (free markets).

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

It depends. If people see an economic incentive they get into that market. So long as the government doesn't stop it, I imagine more ammo manufacturers will spring up if there is a sustained demand.
edit on 4-3-2013 by GreenGlassDoor because: Wrong button.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

FYI: Boycott Cheaper Than Dirt

I remember reading about this in one of the blogs.

Cheaper Than Dirt!, A company that owes its existence to the firearms community, has decided to restrict gun sales as part of a knee-jerk reaction to the spree killings at a school in Connecticut. They are also price gouging High Capacity Magazines.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

This is exactly what I was hoping was going to happen now that the panic is slowly dying supply will slowly appear. The next thing that will happen is the prices will stabilize and then start to drop. People aren't going to sit on this stuff forever, and there are many people who panic bought a ton of stuff thinking they would double their money over night and they will be selling soon also. The market will soon be flooded with AR's and AK's again in the near future I think.

I was hoping and guessing this would happen a couple months after the initial panic rush. I didnt rush out and go crazy and pay a ridiculously high price for a new AR or AK. Ive really just stuck to the mosin at the range. The ammo is still cheap and spam cans are still pretty widely available for a good price. ($200 for 880 rounds is the best Ive found lately). Plus I picked up an m 48 mauser at the gun show the other day. Only a bit over $250.

Originally posted by Senduko
Sometimes threads like these scares me. Serious some of these comments sound like junks needing their crack.
I really don't want to sound offending, but how many bullets do you need, do you guys shoot in the garden for fun?

I just can't wrap my head around this cultural difference.
And yes i know the second.

How much ammo I go through at the range really depends on what guns I bring. With handguns, I usually run though around 150-200 rounds in a bit over an hour. With my Saiga rifle, I go through over 200 in an hour. With my bolt action rifles, usually just 100. It also depends if Im by myself, or with a group.

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by SpaDe_

Prices for High Cap AR mags and various AR platforms are already coming down in price on the gun auction sites...not back to MSRP tho but they have halved the former spread in many instances.

Same thing with my Saiga mags. The place on the net I go for 30 rounders has had a very large stock the past couple weeks for regular price, and it seems like they're there to stay now.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by endats01

yea go smokeless but when the brass runs out then what a club is all you got, as for me...some lead some 3 parts this that and the other, flint i can still shoot what about you? ok i will say at this point in time , with out caps , but in time i will be with flint. flint lock 50cal.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I think the initial ammunition shortages that got absolutely silly with runs on everything from .22 to every form of primer or components was a true case of panic fueled shortage. It took some time to develop and time more than 2-3 months if everyone thinks back. It also took what seemed like forever before a guy could buy a full case of primers of several pounds of powder without supply triggered rationing.

This time, it came on too fast. I think the Government learned from seeing the 08/09 market driven event and figured out how easily they could recreate it. Betting that most people are the 'I'll stock up when I see a problem' types (which stats say they're right in assuming), then artificial shortages on ammo are as good as banning guns. You can't use what you can't load.

Sierra Bullet can only process xx pounds of copper into so many bullets of chosen calibers for manufacturing runs. The same with Starline Brass or the other couple major brass manufacturers. There aren't that many of any one type on components. So.....running the market just by ordering with funny money they call currency these days isn't nearly as hard as it used to be, IMO.

That's my take on this "shortage". The Government has priority on ordering and delivery and they're using it in a calculated way to screw with the whole national market. Even order holds need supplies to back them, if called.

edit on 5-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lordnikon82

i guess you didnt get the memo. gun manufacturers stopped selling ammo and weapons to states that are ANTI 2nd amendment. basically, if u have any kind of gun restriction, u aint getting ammo unless online buddy. good luck though

I was aware of that, but I'm not in one of those states.
Also, that decision was JUST made, and shouldn't affect what is NOW in stock.
I'm thinking it's just that gun show dealers put a run on it, bought it up, creating the shortage, and selling it for a mint...

That's ok, I've got enough to wait the situation out, I just won't be burning up any in target practice...(and yes, you do go through a lot of ammo when doing that, so a perfectly valid reason for buying a lot of ammo).

That's my take on this "shortage". The Government has priority on ordering and delivery and they're using it in a calculated way to screw with the whole national market. Even order holds need supplies to back them, if called

Maybe, but many manufacturers told the government their orders were cancelled, in states like New York who simply take the legislation too far...good for them, taking a stand.
edit on 5-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
All bubbles eventually reach a point where the demand peaks (causing price to peak) and then the market will rollover. I think that we will see demand stall at $2 a round for 5.56/.223 and then there will be unsold supply overhanging the market and places like CTD which stockpiled supply to sell higher will have to start lowering prices to find an equilibrium of supply and demand

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
you poor people without your ammo for your guns. This thread is a joke.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

Think about the implications of a nationwide ammo shortage...especially if prolonged....

Indirect circumvention of the Constitution is a joke to you? That's what a prolonged shortage could mean.

You have the right to bear arms, but not the right to buy ammo for them..... Maybe you enjoy having your freedoms stripped away one by one...I cannot share that enjoyment.

I'm good on .556. 22, 40 cal and 00 buck, but I can't get 300 blackout anywhere....getting to the point I'll make my own.

Good luck. The supplies to do this are equally scarce.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Walmarts real-time inventory tracking is your friend.

Arfcom Walmart thread with inventory links

If it shows in stock it's in stock. Walmart staff have been getting canned over hoarding, reselling, and refusing to put out stock.

It an item shows in it's in.

Just this weekend I scored 1,000 22lr's and 200 .45 ACP's by using the links in that thread and speaking to managers. In one store the clerk at the sporting goods counter quit right in front of me after getting really pissy about going to retrieve ammo in the back. Possibly his own little horde?
edit on 5-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Have you thought about making your own ammunition? Its not that hard.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Have you thought about making your own ammunition? Its not that hard.

Primers and brass are just as hard to come by right now. If you're just now getting into reloading presses are also rare.

Whether you reload or not looking for ammo is a real bear right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join