It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ammunition Shortage Sucks...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I was in Walmart the other day, getting some things, and thought to go check for some more ammo (I like to buy it in cash vs. online, etc.)

The entire section was almost completely empty...a few boxes of 12 guage shells...that's it...all the rest of the case...empty.

I went to a couple of local gun shops...same deal. The manufacturers seriously need to get in gear...the industry has to be losing a ton of money due to this short-sightedness....

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yes. Yes it does suck!

And when you do find anything, the price is eye opening...

My skeet and trap leagues are about to start up and I'm a bit concerned with what's going to happen with shells... Ten bucks for a box of AA's??? Hope not!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Time to invest in more plants and machinery but I think that the big manufacturers are afraid to invest in this political climate....in the meantime they are getting full price with full production.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The industry isn't losing much..Remember, they are getting all those Gov't orders for ammo...paid for with our tax dollars.....

It's the same at all the stores here in my State.

Des

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I just came from Academy in Burleson, Tx and it's wiped out. Looking for .45 and all they had were odd calibers. I've been checking Walmart and the same goes. For the time being, I'm not doing any target practice. When supply goes back up, I'll resume, but in the mean time, I'm gonna hang on to what I have.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I went down to Cheaper Than Dirt (the brick and motar store, not online), and they have pretty much everything in stock. But, everything there was 3x the normal price. I saw American Eagle .223 going for nearly $40 for a box of 20, when they used to go for $8 for 20.

Same thing at the gun show during the weeked. Tons of stuff there, but all way too highly priced. I also noticed nobody was buying AR's anymore, even though they were on a ton of tables, and tons of people were bringing them into the show trying to sell them. I mean it was like AR city there. Looks like the market has been flooded with them and nobody wants to pay the crazy high prices anymore.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

You would think that CTD could hold the line at $20/box...goodness gracious; 5.56 (.223) costs virtually as much as 6.8spc which costs virtually as much (or more) as 7.62x51. Ironically it makes more sense now economically to operate a larger platform and get more "bang for your buck" as it were.
edit on 4-3-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
reply to post by Gazrok

Same thing at the gun show during the weeked. Tons of stuff there, but all way too highly priced. I also noticed nobody was buying AR's anymore, even though they were on a ton of tables, and tons of people were bringing them into the show trying to sell them. I mean it was like AR city there. Looks like the market has been flooded with them and nobody wants to pay the crazy high prices anymore.

This is exactly what I was hoping was going to happen now that the panic is slowly dying supply will slowly appear. The next thing that will happen is the prices will stabilize and then start to drop. People aren't going to sit on this stuff forever, and there are many people who panic bought a ton of stuff thinking they would double their money over night and they will be selling soon also. The market will soon be flooded with AR's and AK's again in the near future I think.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I hear that even .22LR is going up quite a bit (and technically there are no dangerous.22LR "assault rifles" on the "list"---as they are just copies).

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ever thought about making your own?
Sounds like the time is right for learning how to.

www.outdoorlife.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I imagine that there is a shortage of primers and brass is well bid for also.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sometimes threads like these scares me. Serious some of these comments sound like junks needing their crack.
I really don't want to sound offending, but how many bullets do you need, do you guys shoot in the garden for fun?

I just can't wrap my head around this cultural difference.
And yes i know the second.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I think that "Cheaper Than Dirt" really needs to consider a name change....how about "PayDirt"?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Theres probably a standard production of X rounds per day now to increase the production of X per day it may require more costs than it is worth if you consider the fact that the demand may be temporary and as such you get stuck with a lot of new expensive gear and bullet prices heading southward

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Prices for High Cap AR mags and various AR platforms are already coming down in price on the gun auction sites...not back to MSRP tho but they have halved the former spread in many instances.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I really don't want to sound offending, but how many bullets do you need, do you guys shoot in the garden for fun?

I don't know about the rest of you all,but a weekend outing with target practice can eat up a supply very quickly.

Yeehaw!!

BTW,where are you Senduko?
edit on 4-3-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Yes I have noticed that you can now get PMAG's for $25 pretty regularly, which is a huge drop from the $50-75 price they were carrying just a month ago.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

They know that it is in their best interests to keep the demand high allowing an artificial shortage of supply keep prices and thus profits high. If they flood the market with ammo and then that artificial ("scarcity induced") demand drops off (as it will) then prices will drop and ammo will pile up again on dealer's shelves. Increasing production would allow them to sell more....but for how long (especially in this political environment)? There are a lot of people in the market for quantity who were not before....why? Because they assumed that they could just walk into their local store or go online and buy it whenever they wanted so now they want to not only "stock up" (buy more than they anticipate using near term to have adequate supply long term) but many also want to buy some for an "investment" to sell later at a profit. Whenever the "investment" greed factor enters the equation in any commodity (and this is being traded as a commodity in many cases: brass, copper, lead, powder) then the chance of a "bubble" forming is a real possibility. Bubbles pop.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm glad I got my MagSafe rounds when I did, I can only imagine what they are going for....

Looks like the market has been flooded with them and nobody wants to pay the crazy high prices anymore.

Yeah, that was bound to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

No way am I ever ordering ammo online though...cash only, as if things ever do go south seizure wise, you know they'll use that to trace...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join