It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State lawmaker defends bike tax, says bicycling is not good for the environment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can see his point. It is bad for HIS environment if he doesn't encourage over-consumption and discourage healthier lifestyles that may lead to longer lives and a drain on retirement and Social Security benefits. It is our civic duty to live productive lives and consume conspicuously, then die young before reaping the benefits we pay into.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
why do people choose to vote so many stupid people in office. it is a global phenomena. simply amazing

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
We need to DEMAND!
Not ask but DEMAND that all politicians pass a minimum IQ requirement test.

This sort of thing is ridiculous. And should not happen in this day and age.
/facepalm

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I guess there are a lot of people who would believe what he said. Some people don't like cyclists on the road because they may accidentally hit them if they aren't paying attention to the road. Getting rid of the cyclists would be a desired thing to these people so they will believe him in a heartbeat. People see things that fit into their lifestyle and beliefs and deny or discount things that go against what they believe. I wish there was a place in this world that wasn't like that. I guess I would have to move way out in the backwoods to find that place. Maybe the Sasquatch are even worse

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Really? This isn't an article written by The Onion? Increased heart rates, and the increased breathing associated with it are normal, natural human functions. I always thought that plants convert carbon dioxide released by people into oxygen. So....

Dear Mr. Elected Official, if you are worried about the damage of increased carbon dioxide from excersizing , then I suggest you ban gyms and marathon races (on foot or bicycles). Another possible patch for this 'problem' would be to plant more trees. Now that's a win-win situation.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
We need to DEMAND!
Not ask but DEMAND that all politicians pass a minimum IQ requirement test.

This sort of thing is ridiculous. And should not happen in this day and age.
/facepalm

Uneducated, unsophisticated, unquestioning, agenda driven voters are the problem not the candidates. However dumbass candidates share in the problem and corruption as well.
All voters should as a requirement for voting read the Constitution and Bill of Rights and prove they understand what they just read. Perhaps then we could restore the government FOR the PEOPLE and not fascist corporate lackeys that only care about campaign contributions, kickbacks, and gifts from lobbyists.
edit on 4-3-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Confusion about hydrocarbons and their affect on the environment leads to stupid statements like this.

Apparently there is some confusion on the difference between Carbon Dioxide (natural waste products of humans) and Carbon Monoxide (produced by combustion engines).

SMH

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

It's more likely that flatulent lawmakers are even worse for the environment.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I know I am not from the US, but I have read a few bits of the document you refer to, and it seems to me that placing a qualification between the people and the right to vote, would probably violate one or two articles of that document, or at least, could reasonably be argued to do so. Bit ironic really, that something that could save so much tomfoolery and help the US, might actually be contrary to articles of its most important bit of legislation.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The only BAD thing I see here are politicians who can't help themselves but screw us in a new way for more money.

How much CO2 is this guy emitting on a daily basis by spewing out this nonsense? Furthermore, if we are going to tax carbon emissions from exhalation we need to tax these government "representatives" by the word because it would be a gold mine of revenue. Hell we could rebuild a nation on one of Barrack Obama's speaking tours alone....

That’s a good idea actually - I'll buy into a "carbon tax" when politicians start paying one for speaking...maybe they would talk less and listen more.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Bicycling is bad for the environment, but not for the reasons this politician is talking about. Where do you think all that bicycling stuff comes from? People were coerced into holes dug into the earth to extract the resources from which the bikes are built. The rubber tires, plastic components, and paint wouldn't exist without oil. The thing won't even work without lubrication. The parts couldn't be manufactured, assembled, and distributed without extensive and complicated (not to mention economically compulsory) production and transportation systems that consume even more resources and damage the land base.

Then you have the helmets, the shoes, the gloves, the obligatory $150 sunglasses, and the outrageous spandex shirt that hopefully makes people think you're sponsored. Where does it all come from? Is that good for the environment? Is it good for us?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Someone needs to sneak in while he's asleep, and put a set of headphones with a MP3 player on him, set to loop. Have it say over and over:

"Seven BILLION people are breathing....breathing.......seven billion breaths......seven billion CO2 generators breathing.....breathing.......each day, each minute......each second....."

Think he'll have nightmares? Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll have a heart attack.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon "When will this maddness end?"

when the idiots in control are dragged from their gilded chambers and dealt with.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A little off topic but I can think of another one "I can't understand why windows don't open on air planes!" = fasepalm! lmao!!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz

Originally posted by TLomon "When will this maddness end?"

when the idiots in control are dragged from their gilded chambers and dealt with.

Before that happens they will scatter into their underground fortresses and watch live feeds as the world above dies out.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Those components of which you speak, if properly maintained and carefully looked after, will need very little replacement. Even tyres can be melted down and reformed into more tyres. They are as good for the environment as they can be, and crucial to the point of this thread, are INDEED better for the environment than the use of the automobile.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If they tried to pass a bill like this in my state, I'd be all over it and never stop letting them know how stupid the idea is.

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street"
"If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat"
"If you get too cold I'll tax the heat"
"If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet"

"Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman"

"Now my advice for those who die"
"Declare the pennies on your eyes"
"Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"

"And you're working for no one but me - Taxman!"

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
If they tried to pass a bill like this in my state, I'd be all over it and never stop letting them know how stupid the idea is.

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street"
"If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat"
"If you get too cold I'll tax the heat"
"If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet"

"Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman"

"Now my advice for those who die"
"Declare the pennies on your eyes"
"Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"

"And you're working for no one but me - Taxman!"

Man.....thats stuck in my head now!! LOL

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by notquiteright
Bike tax? Sounds more like a breathing tax to me. I guess we all knew it would come eventually. This guy needs to be removed from office.

I've said it as a joke in here too several times that soon they'll tax everyone for breathing. I never ever thought it would happen. Wow

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What?! This actually made me laugh. A bike tax? What's next a living tax based on how many years you live?!

Seriously how in the world do people like this get into any kind of office! This just shows how easy it is for morons to get into office if they have the right money and pull.

Crazy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join