It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shooting Prevented - Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

not to detract from the topic but when you mentioned this, the first thing that crossed my mind was Obama's recent "honor" bestowed on America's favorite terrorist/traitor, Hanoi Jane
(Jane Fonda) - that news just about made me gag.

however, this recent news is almost as disturbing

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I understand the deeper meaning of them being suspended and the backlash, but hey, at least he's getting a mini winter vacation.
In all seriousness though they probably suspended them so they weren't a huge distraction in class and so they can sort everything out. Doesn't make sense initially, but instead of reinforcing the negatives, let's bring out the positives in this.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles
Added thought:

Story says he was not charged with attempted murder even though he had a loaded gun, threaten to kill someone, and pointed the weapon at someone.

Didn't a few people just get arrested these past few weeks for attempted murder just because they had posted a "hit list" online?
Bingo ... someone finally mentioned it, star for you.
what is up with that indeed

if posting a 'list' is good enough for such a charge, how is a pointed, loaded weapon not ?
how did the system get soooo preferential ??

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

But I guess you could say that suspension was a cheap price to pay to prevent the possible deaths of your friends, maybe even yourself.

This is very true. That reminds me of Dr. Susan Gratia-Hupp’s testimony before congress after her parents were brutally murdered and she was unable to defend them with her firearm. Listen closely @ minute 4:00 when she says,

“I would much rather being sitting in jail with a felony offense on my head and have my parents alive still.”

She makes one of the most compelling pro-second amendment arguments I’ve ever heard and it’s from a victim’s perspective. It's sad that any person would have to chose between self preservation and criminal charges, as if those are the only options.

edit on 4-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
reply to post by cripmeister

How is this even close to yellow journalism? The title says it all about what happened. It's not misleading at all. And are you also saying this is not legitimate news? You don't care that a youth stepped up and was a hero but got punished for it? Is that what you're saying? Or are you just being a Seabag hater?
Ummmm..............No...and yes...No,because the crip master and also OneSide (TwoSides) are all Obama all the time progressives. Yes...because Seabag isn't a progressive idiot and thus they do actually hate him, and you and me and anyone else that doesn't look/smell like them.

Back on topic, this is just more of the liberal/progresive agenda rearing it's ugly head, the "see something say something" politically correct minion minded school board reactionism. Why do sane people allow these school boards to be loaded up with these progressive jackholes any way. Dont you think that if we're going to change anything that we have to run for these positions and replace the screwballs?

I think the kid should be rewarded and the idiot policies and school policy makers should be suspended........actually, vote the idiots out and run for these positions yourselves.

YouSir

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A good idea would be to create a thing called a "neutral discharge" for the students involved in an altercation. Then after the investigation is over the good guy gets upgraded to "honorable discharge" which will be seen as a bonus in his CV and the bad guy will get a "dishonorable discharge" if not worse depending on the gravity of his crime which would be viewed as a minus in his CV.

Sounds about fair. Because the current definition of suspension is not generally viewed as a good thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by YouSir

Why do sane people allow these school boards to be loaded up with these progressive jackholes any way. Dont you think that if we're going to change anything that we have to run for these positions and replace the screwballs?

Sadly, these positions are often low paying careers (like teaching) and the people who gravitate to these positions are idealists more than capitalists. Unfortunately, idealists are usually liberal pie in the sky types.

I’m glad someone takes this approach, and I appreciate what they do. If not for them we wouldn’t have many teachers and school administrators.

I wish more people of my political persuasion would get in the mix but it doesn’t seem likely. It’s two different mindsets.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Wait, WHAT! okay Why did he get suspended that kids a hero?

God Some people! Yep pie in the sky

What, So he just should let the gunman start shooting everyone?

You and Me seabag, You and Me.

You ever been in blind rage?

People told me afterwards that my eyes went black even the sclera went black

While in that rage I also felt strangely calm and Insanely Powerful and I wanted to stay that way

edit on 4/3/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fr33kSh0w2012

Wait, WHAT! okay Why did he get suspended that kids a hero?

God Some people! Yep pie in the sky

What, So he just should let the gunman start shooting everyone?

I don’t think the sensationalists are satisfied with the outcome…nobody got blown away so this hardly helps their agenda.

You and Me seabag, You and Me.

To the haters I say

You ever been in blind rage?
Every day when I read the headlines! Just like this story!

edit on 4-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I think everyone might be reading this story the wrong way...

I believe the logical explaination behind his suspension may be precautionary in nature to prevent any type of retaliation by other students, if the threat exists. It's not uncommon for a victim to also be suspended until the investigation is completed and the authorities are confident the student can safely return to school.

He should be given a medal for preventing another tragedy.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dividuality

I wonder what the MSM response would be if, instead of suspension, the school made this kid a rock star and named the school after him?

I wonder what the headlines would read then. What do you think?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Long thread....
Kid may have been suspended for his own SAFETY as well Seabag.....
Maybe therewas a thought it may be gang related or that others may take revenge
These things happen too....
Seema halfways reasonable to suspend the guy till a hearing brings out the facts....the principal cant know exactly if it isnt gang related....
just sayin....
the heros celebration will just be postponed as it were....
???

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yep and I live in Australia where the gun grab was ages ago because of port Aurthur "tragedy" it was staged! Martin Bryant didn't do Diddley S**t!

He has Asperger's Syndrome just as I do!

He was locked up in his home DURING the port Aurthur Massacre!

edit on 4/3/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
to those who insist a 'suspension' is warranted in this situation ... do you know what a derrogatory mark, 'suspension' is on a student record ?

while i agree a few days at home is warranted, the 'emergency suspension' is not.
call it PC, i don't care but the term 'emergency suspension' will haunt this kid's future for many years to come.

and what's worse, in this current environment of holding everything against everyone ... what do you think his chances will be with an 'aggressive/assault' notation in his file ??

anyone else see the story of the 60+yr old vet who has been refused gun ownership over 'aggression' from a fistfight that occurred some nearly 50yrs ago ??
and rather apply the laws of the time of the incident, they are applying new laws only recently enacted.
it DOES matter.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
How do we know this isn't the school official's form of rewarding him?
Hey I'd want a couple days off when everybody thought I was hero.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Szarekh
How do we know this isn't the school official's form of rewarding him?
Hey I'd want a couple days off when everybody thought I was hero.

Because we have common sense! At least most of us!

Have you ever been suspended as a reward?

It was a knee jerk reaction by a school board more worried about public perception and political correctness than doing the right thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It wouldn't have been a mass shooting... the kid had a revolver, and he was threatening ONE kid with it. Don't get me wrong, that's not good, but it is a far cry from Sandy Hook

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well this is a delicate subject and even though showing him off as the hero is what he deserves, it may send the wrong message to other students that may find themselves in similar situations.

In this case nobody was seriously harmed. If he gets too much publicity as a hero, other students around the country may inadvertently escalate a situation by attacking an armed assailant in an attempt to become heroes themselves.

There are too many variables in these types of situations and they all have to be dealt with very cautiously.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It does make sense that an investigation or inquiry over any such potentially deadly incident be made before determining what's what and whose whom. It kind of makes sense to give everyone involved a day or two off while the police investigate.

I can see how the principal might do that, instead of going on the hearsay of initial reports from eyewitnesses, and saying (with no police investigation) you, you are the hero and you and you, and that guy there he's suspended for trying to KILL that person - take him away, the rest of you gather at the awards ceremony on Friday for your heroic actions, now back to class...

Think about it. It's just a temporary emergency measure, while the incident is investigated, that's all, no biggie, just a day or two off while the police handle it then give the hero award and send the right signal.

That's what I would have done. Same thing this principal did. It's just being SPUN the wrong way that's all.

Critical thinking...

But good on them for grabbing the gunman and tackling him, yes, it was the right thing to do, but as another poster pointed out, it always depends on the nuances of the actual situation, but more often than not there's a chance and an opportunity to tackle without getting killed when a shooter is surrounded with people.

edit on 4-3-2013 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Come the next election, someone needs to make a few billboards and local spots pointing out that the school board members/superintendent need 'suspension' to go find other jobs. And the locals need to punt them out on their butts.

The next set in, I guarantee, will have different 'policies'. You need to show them the door occasionally. Heck, around here, there's probably not 500 votes cast one way or the other for the school board, it's one of those high leverage things that a bit of canvassing could resolve permanently.

Then you could get a set of the kids chanting "You're fired! You're fired!" as the losers go out the door, be a nice piece on the news, sort of set the tone for the next batch.

I dunno, we sort of let it be known that we were going to be old enough to vote the year we graduated high school, and that we were going to dump the board. We did. The graduating class of most any large high school (unless you're in a major city) can oust the board, given the low turnout for that vote.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join