It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shooting Prevented - Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Schools are horrible places. So many power hungry morons.......

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Added thought:

Story says he was not charged with attempted murder even though he had a loaded gun, threaten to kill someone, and pointed the weapon at someone.

Didn't a few people just get arrested these past few weeks for attempted murder just because they had posted a "hit list" online?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Our society is sick in its mores: kids are already getting suspended for pretending to play "cops n robbers" with their hands and fingers and a kid joined their ranks for playing "save the world from evil" at recess by pretending to pull the pin and throw an "air" grenade.....now a kid acts heroically, saving a life, and gets suspended while a nurse at a nursing home refuses to administer CPR to a dying patient (who did later die) and was following company protocol. What is this world becoming? A nation of cowardly wimps or what?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArnoldNonymous
Give the freakin kid a medal! People are so insanely stupid these days it's incredible.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anybody who lost their life in Newton, Conn. I’m sure these 6 individuals below were wonderful people and they certainly didn’t deserve the tragic fate they were dealt. My prayers go out to their families. BUT, I must point out the irony that Obama awarded 6 victims of Newton the ‘2012 citizen’s medal’ (the second highest award in the country for civilians) for being victimized, yet these brave young men who saved lives get suspended from school. It’s almost like awarding people for playing the role TPTB want us ALL to play...the victim role. Were the victims of 9/11 given medals for being murdered after simply for showing up to work? Is this what we award medals for now??

President Barack Obama on Friday praised the selflessness of six teachers and staff killed in the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., as he posthumously awarded each victim a 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal.
link

Medals for people who risked their lives to save kids at Newton?

Medals for these young men who risked their lives to save kids in Florida?

Medals for being the victim of violent crime?

I hope these young men are recognized because they CERTAINLY didn’t play the victim role.

edit on 4-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Non sequitur. How many children take guns to school, with the intention of shooting someone, in Britain?

With crime as high as it is where you live, it’s no non sequitur. You don’t need a gun to commit violent crime, as your country proves quite convincingly.

Anyway, do you feel the need to have a gun at home for protection? I don't .....

After the study I shared, maybe you should feel the need! I certainly don’t have as much to fear with regard to violent crime as you do…because my country has less of it AND I have guns!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Not rediculous.... The powers up top want shootings, to further their agenda. Same as if an officer on 7/7 or 9/11 stopped it from happening, he would be fired too.

Gs

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Things like this only happen because we've placed our entire lives into the hands of other people.

There is no liberty anymore, there is no freedom or even truth in the moment.
Always cast aside for the collective.

We lost ourselves the day other people started making choices on our behalf.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

Not rediculous.... The powers up top want shootings, to further their agenda. Same as if an officer on 7/7 or 9/11 stopped it from happening, he would be fired too.

I don’t disagree that some people want more gun violence to push the anti-gun agenda, but it’s still ridiculous to treat heroes as villains.

There are twisted minds out there that justify this type of thing but I certainly am not one of them. The ends don't always justify the means in the real world.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by seabag

Your title is a Tad Misleading.

Its not the Title of the News Story, so why the Drama?

I agree with you btw, Just dont understand the Need to Hype the Story , thus demeaning it, with Lies.

I read through this entire thread, and I would kindly ask that you point out the lie in the OP's title. The title may not be the title of the original story, but it is also not a lie because it is exactly what happened in the story.

On topic:

I agree that the problem reaction solution trend is getting quite out of control lately. Does nobody in a place of power have any common sense anymore? The headlines lately are reading like a bad day of tabloid headlines with the exception that they are real stories. When did we wake up in the Twilight Zone?

edit on 3/4/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Do you lock you door at night?

Do you even own a weapon?

I can walk safely alone at night with no fear at all.

I think you may find the figures you are looking at are somewhat skewed (in this country, a serious violent crime means a drunken brawl - and I tend to avoid nightclubs in the early hours when kids have have to much to drink and end up fighting over a girl)
edit on 4-3-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Most suspensions now a days mean you take your school work home and do it there. It's not a big deal. Except for maybe dances and what not.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Do you lock you door at night?
YES. It doesn't hurt to be prudent.

Do you even own a weapon?
I’m American

I can walk safely alone at night with no fear at all.

I think you may find the figures you are looking at are somewhat skewed (in this country, a serious violent crime means a drunken brawl)

It’s not about how I define violent crime….this info was published in the UK’s DailyMail.

Maybe you should ask them how they define violent crime in UK. Does this picture help? They do well to distinguish between various crimes.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The Daily Mail

But the fact remains: do you feel the need to have a weapon for defence? Do you lock your doors at night?

I know which I prefer.

edit on 4-3-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozymandias121
Most suspensions now a days mean you take your school work home and do it there. It's not a big deal. Except for maybe dances and what not.

There’s also the valid concern that watcher3339 pointed out about college admission.

Don’t you see anything wrong with suspending someone for doing a good deed, even though the kid might like the days off? The kid probably isn’t thinking about future ramifications of this action.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i shudder to think what would have happened a person should they have stopped the sandy hook shooting with a gun.

they'd probably be in more trouble than the shooter, and that's saying something.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Not knowing the whole story to start, the safest thing was to suspend all until the facts are known. Now that they are known, put the kid back in school, shouldn't have been more than one day.

So if a teacher would have disarmed the kid, would the teacher have been suspended pending an investigation?

I think the teacher would have been suspended as well. Hard to move on if the parties are in school the next day.

I think everyone is considering the "suspension" a punishment. i don't think so. I think it is more of a preventative measure. Shows good judgement by the school in my opinion. Having the kids involved on the school grounds would have made it very hard for things to get back to "normal".

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I was suspended for not going to detention and I still got accepted to Universities. This guy has a news article showing he stopped a gunman. He should have no problems.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
They did the right thing to "Emergency Suspend" the youth. It is not for punishment, but more to protect his life.
After such and incident, there have to be investigations and having the youth in school the next day is a terrible idea.

If the kid that was disarmed was a member of a gang or had friends that wanted to conduct retribution, then this youth that did the disarming is in real danger. Not only that , but the youth that had the gun aimed at him is still in danger, and he should have been suspended as well.

The kid aiming the gun is arrested, and that is a lot different.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...guess you can't make anyone happy anymore. Whether you've done right or wrong, every deed gets paid for. Starting to get so no one can do a damn thing - being an upstanding citizen doesn't pay good enough. But I guess you could say that suspension was a cheap price to pay to prevent the possible deaths of your friends, maybe even yourself.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
howdy Seabag,
thanks for getting this story some exposure.
i confess i haven't read all the posts yet, but some bring up some really good points.
however, i'd like to mention two i haven't seen that really bother me.

first, this occurred on the bus ride HOME ... where was the gun during school that day ??

second, the charges listed against the shooter include "without intent" -- wth and why?
what does it take besides a loaded gun and pointing it at someone to prove 'intent' ??

do i think we are getting the whole story ?
from Blaze, probably not but that doesn't detract from the facts presented and this is beyond acceptable.

what are we supposed to be teaching the kids ?
cover your ears and pray it doesn't hurt ?

not so long ago, every parent of children on the bus that day would have gotten together and treated these boys to a party/celebration/dinner just to say thank you ... i sure hope times haven't changed that much.

regardless what the school did or does, these boys should be rewarded for their bravery, their willingness to put themselves in danger to save others and their integrity in the acceptance of consequence for said act.
from what has been released thus far, i too applaud them.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join