It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving versus Living...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I see a lot of threads on Surviving, but not near as many about Living.

What I mean is, it's one thing to survive, but maintaining a certain quality of life is good too, and something to think about. I first thought about this when deciding what food to store. I wasn't going to spend money on stuff we'd never use or even like that much. So, I thought about how we could rotate in our stores, and USE them, replace them.

Living is important too, and is more than surviving. Be sure to plan for living, not just surviving. If you have some things that are key to this, vs. surviving, please reply with your ideas that don't need power, etc.

For me:

Books - especially ones I can re-read
Games - we have tons of board games, RPG's, etc.
Sports Equipment - lawn games, etc.
Pool Table - we do this a lot when power goes out

edit on 4-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
it's one thing to survive, but maintaining a certain quality of life is good too,

You should start a thread on this outside of the survival forum.

It would end up being a very long thread I'd think. It could go into many aspects of life ....
and get into areas of very deep discussion.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Dont forget the coloring books and puzzles for the kiddys.

There is a difference between the two, surviving vs living. I would say the first few months after SHTF, you will be doing just that, surviving, trying to make it to the next day. After things mello out, you will start to transition to living and you need to be prepped for that as well.
edit on 4-3-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Puzzles are great! Especially since they can be done over and over...

Good one on the coloring books, reminds me of more...TOYS...especially things like Legos.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The two words have such drastic definitions...

But in order to live, one must survive.
And in order to survive, one must live.

I'd be confident in stating that keeping sanity and a healthy mind is crucial.
For adults and children alike, just challenging the brain is essential.
So yes, board games are important, so are playing cards.
The amount of games derived from cards alone is astounding.
Any type of reading, and learning new skills...important!
(Plus remembering how to brew alcohol...
)

I'd say the best way to keep "living" is to remember how to enjoy your life.
Or more simply, remember to keeping playing.

Even as adults we lose our innocent playing skills.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The ability to create what you desire is essential. In the gardens I have so much more than food, I have medicinals as well as flowers. Just some pretty perennial flowers that will come back every year. They are enjoyable and nothing else, as well as easily cared for since they are among everything else. They get watered by default when needed. The beauty of a great flower eases the soul.

I do a lot of my own canning, and made sure to become proficient with certain recipes that the whole family loves. It has evolved from learning a valuable skill to providing the family with the goodies they have come to look forward to every year. It honestly makes my life easier too. When invited to a get together it is easy to put together a smoked salmon spread, because it is sitting patiently in the pantry waiting to be used.

You have the games and toys covered, but how about some simple teaching materials for the kids. It keeps them busy and expands their knowledge base as well. Likewise a craft box full of scraps and pieces will keep them busy for hours. Toss in a few pipe cleaners, googly eyes and some paints and they are occupied for a week. *One great book that I have found is called "The American Boys Handy Book" by D.C. Beard, it's full of survival games and fun skills for kids (boys and girls) to learn & have fun with.*

Just getting back to basics seems to cover both surviving and thriving, depending on how you look at things. I have purposely avoided acquiring electronic anything, and my family loves it. The simple act of getting your hands dirty and doing goes a long way to giving you the confidence to accomplish certain tasks, just in case. Even the manual ice auger I got my husband for Christmas has been a blast. We had 3 holes going this weekend, and they went back for a second day even ( mama got to enjoy some peace on day 2 ) we caught 8 fresh fish and had a wonderful meal last night because of it. It's all matter of perspective.
edit on 4-3-2013 by woodsmom because: Added book title

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Good ideas on the teaching materials

Likewise a craft box full of scraps and pieces will keep them busy for hours.

My wife is a scrapbooker, and has a whole room where she has all her gear and can have gals over for a crop. We've got that one covered.

We hope to get into gardening and canning soon too, ourselves. I remember this well from my childhood, so looking forward to doing it now as an adult.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Nice, the scraps are pretty easy to come by, and about the cheapest entertainment there is.

The canning has been so much fun, and the reward of seeing dozens of jeweled jars is reward all in itself.
Let me warn you though, once you jump in you never know where it will take you. I spent almost two months last year on my canning, but ended up with 225 jars of goodies stored under the house. They make great gifts too.

Producing any of your own necessities is rewarding and contributes to that sense of well-being and confidence in your own abilities. It's also an ideal way to thrive right now no matter what circumstances life throws at us.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Here are a few things thant can really make the difference between surviving, and living...
And for Gals and Guys. What barbecue is complete without a rub? Zest it up and Live!
Familiar Flavors and Aromas for eating and comfort, and soothing lifes cares....

Spices, Extracts, Essential Oils, and Apothecary

The Spice of Life

Kosher Salt ~ Sea Salt ~ Ground Pepper ~ Whole Peppercorns ~ Garlic Powder ~ Onion Powder
Onion Flakes ~ Ground Orange Peel ~ Ground Lemon Peel ~ Red Pepper Flakes
Ground Cayenne ~ Paprika ~ Ground Mild Chili ~ Ground Cinnamon ~ Whole Cinnamon
Ground Clove ~ Whole Clove ~ Ground Nutmeg ~ Whole Nutmeg ~ Ground Ginger
Ground Mustard ~ Celery Seed ~ Cumin ~ Tumeric ~ Coriander Curry ~ Parsley ~ Thyme
Oregano ~ Sage ~ Bay Leaf ~ Dill ~ Basil ~ Allspice ~ Five Spice ~ Sesame Seed

Lets not forget these few extras that make life Rise, Sweet, and Spicy

Baking Powder ~ Baking Soda ~ Sugar ~ Brown Sugar ~ Molasses
Vinegars ~ Yeast ~ Olive Oil ~ Coconut Oil ~ Corn Starch ~ Buttermilk Powder
Powdered Milk ~ Canned Butter ~ Hot Sauce ~ Soy Sauce ~

Extracts

Vanilla ~ Lemon ~ Peppermint ~ Orange ~ Almond

Oils

Lavender ~ Euclyptus ~ Oregano ~ Lemon ~ Tea Tree ~ Cypress ~ Clove ~ Rose

Apothecary

Lavender ~ Rose Petal ~ Glycerin ~ Honey ~ Calendua ~ Oats

Great Read :
www.greekmedicine.net...

Many of the above ingredients cross over for multiple uses, i.e. Coconut Oil,
Honey, Sea Salt for trace minerals, Sugar, Baking Soda and Oils....

Dont forget to have on hand your Grinders, Mortle and Pestle, and Jars.

The kids will have fun making arwork for the labels.

And last but not least, Coffee, Tea and Love!

edit on 4-3-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
We'll be planting a small medicinal/culinary herb garden in the spring, when we put in a small koi pond near the front door entrance area. I'm picking plants based on their usefulness, but also flowering ones. Basically, you'd think it to be an ornamental garden at first glance...you'd have to look closely for the labeling.

We already have lots of roses and aloe growing around the perimeter of the house.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'd better stock up on some good Single Malt Scotch... Amazing what that will do to a downtrodden spirit....

And a good stock of non electric hand tools for a variety carpentry and repair needs. Living means taking shelter to a new level beyond a tarp and ground cloth....

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Games - we have tons of board games, RPG's, etc.

Be sure to keep those RPG's away from the kiddos. They'll definitely shoot someone's eye out with one of those...

Good thought provoking thread and some great ideas are flowing...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Great idea on the culinary garden, and on the Aloe, thats a fantastic multi purpose
plant, for medicinal, and apothecary use too! I forgot that on my list!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

And a good stock of non electric hand tools for a variety carpentry and repair needs. Living means taking shelter to a new level beyond a tarp and ground cloth....

Yep, on a ranch, so plenty of both power and non-power tools...though some are a bit long in the tooth and need some replacements. I've actually got a pretty good assortment of all kinds of tools, I just need to be better about organizing them....

Of course, some repair and building projects can be entertaining too, as well as work. I love the sense of satisfaction after repairing or building something (and I love that it didn't cost me any money).

reply to post by burntheships

Thanks. When I was looking into it, I found a lot of the medicinal plants and culinary plants were the same, so just seemed like a natural idea to make it a combination garden. It's going to be my wife's "Gnome Garden". We've got a little bench, and a fountain that will go into the pond, with some stepping stones leading to it through the herbs.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

If I can't find the tools at a flea market or a rough antique shop I go here

www.lehmans.com...

Great source for all things non electric...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That is one of the few places that I will spend money online with.
Great products, and service, I even have a hand pump for my well that we picked up from them.
Another that I have found is Lee Valley Garden tools, they carry some great tools as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Great site...a bit pricy though, but I found some things I definitely have to get soon. To the above poster, yep, a well pump is one of them, great idea!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
for me
Whores

Food and water is optional.

join