It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comets making the show! Latest photos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Latest news and photos from the three comets that are actually making the show.

- PannSTARRS

From Dave Curtis, on March 3, 2013 @ Dunedin New Zealand. Comet was easily visible with naked eye. Better with binoculars. Taken with a Canon 400mm f4.

------------------------------

From Michael White on March 1, 2013 @ SH 3, Manawatu, New Zealand. Comet Pan-STARRS setting on the south-western horizon in the Manuwatu skies. Crops in the foreground illuminated by the nearby highway lights. Nucleus naked eye visible and the tail could just be seen with averted vision. Taken with a Canon EOS7D, EF-S 17-55 @55mm, ISO 2000, F3.2, 6 sec .

------------------------------

Taken by Minoru Yoneto on March 2, 2013 @ Queenstown, New Zealand. The three tail seems to have grown up steadily. I think its a splendid appearance before passing the perihelion.
Taken with a Canon EOS Kiss X2 SEO-SP2, BORG77ED2+ED REDUCER F4DG, ISO1600, 120sec

- ISON

The promising comet is already visible on 14" telescopes:

Taken by ALBERTO QUIJANO VODNIZA on March 2, 2013 @ Pasto, Narino. Colombia

- Lemmon

My favorite is this beautiful green comet, visible by naked eyes:

Taken by rolando ligustri on February 20, 2013 @ from SSO in AU, Itelescope.net. Comet Lemmon on large field. Apo Taka 106/530 ccd STL11000 RGB=120s in bin2 L=4x300s in bin1:

--------------------------------

Taken by Mariano Ribas on February 11, 2013 @ Sierra de la Ventana, Argentina. This image of Comet Lemmon is a composite of 27 individual photos taken with a Canon digital camera and a 200 mm reflector telescope. I took it in Sierra de la Ventana, 600 kilometers south of Buenos Aires.

---------------------------------

Taken by James Tse on February 28, 2013 @ Christchurch, New Zealand. I used Takahashi E180ED 500 mm f/2.8 to capture this comet under the moon light and twilight this evening on 28 February 2013.

--------------------------------------

And the best for the end: two comets in one shoot! Still from James Tse, comet Lemmon at the top left and comet PanSTARRS at the bottom right:

Hope you'll enjoy all these beautiful photos!

There will be more to come in the next few months

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
How cool is that..... Can't wait to see more comets...

Thankyou for brightening up my day!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Awesome pictures. I wish I wouldn't sit below a cloud cover 280 days a year.

By the way, does the greenish illuminated tail indicate a presence of ionized copper atoms ?

The electric universe crowd will be pleased as well, because mainstream physicists will have a hard time explaining water evaporating at this scale, given the distance to the sun.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for the amazing pictures! I'm hoping ISON does what they think it's going to do. That would be one amazing show! Seeing these comets makes me anticipate ISON even more.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the reminder! I'm in Australia and I think I might be able to see it around abouts now! (SW from memory?). My backyard limits horizon views. I'll go take a squiz now *fingers crossed*

edit.
awww

I'm probably an hour or two too late tonight, also I will need to try and find an elevated position to watch from.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Explanation: S&F!

OUTSTANDING!!!

Personal Disclosure: OL is reminded of the astounding pictures my uncle Byron took of Comet McNaught with an IR filter that I posted to a thread many yrs ago and I link that post here for my fellow members veiwing pleasure ...

Military Hush-Up: Incoming Space Rocks Now Classified (thread by LeaderOfProgress posted on 11-6-2009 @ 04:32 AM , reply post by OmegaLogos posted on 13-6-2009 @ 09:00 AM) [ATS]

Please note I have not embedded them in this thread out of respect as both the pictures and the comet they are taken off are way out of date.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing. The comet will begin to be visible in the Northern Hemisphere in a few days. The green ionization trail could be due to a number of elements, probably oxygen and nitrogen in this case.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You know the old British saying: you wait for one bus for ages, and then three come together. This seems to be happening with comets right now.

Amazing pics, thanks for sharing. Comet PANSTARRS will soon appear for the northern hemisphere viewers in the west after sunset. earthsky.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Lovely pictures I am very excited about all these comets. 2013 really is going to be the "Year of the Comets" Nice to see them so clearly.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Thank you for sharing. The comet will begin to be visible in the Northern Hemisphere in a few days. The green ionization trail could be due to a number of elements, probably oxygen and nitrogen in this case.

Nitrogen, when ionized, gives off basically "electric" blue to purple to violet emission. Oxygen would be responsible for green. Just pointing out about those two you mentioned... Learned that while observing Aurora Borealis and finding out about their coloration, which i happen to do each season.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Lithops because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thank you for letting us know, I was just about to ask about that.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If you do anything this year buy a telescope! I guarantee you wont be able to buy one anywhere if this stuff keeps happening.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I specifically bought a camera mount for my telescope for this! I cannot wait to get some shots!

Coolest thing is that it should start to be seen here on a very special day for me! YAY!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Thank you so much for these pictures. I don't have a scope and would not have seen these without your efforts. Please post more if you can. I will sure be looking forward to them.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing

I hope more pictures will be posted here.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

SnF & thanks for the well presented updates

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
How cool is that..... Can't wait to see more comets...

Thankyou for brightening up my day!

That's a great pun! Beautiful photography...could give NASA a run for their money!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Three more days until I finally get to see this! It feels like I've been waiting forever for it to arrive, I'm so excited. There's suppose to be a snowstorm blow through tomorrow and the next day but hoping for clear skies come the night that its predicted first appearance up here is!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
blue kachina....

My opinion

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Exactly how many comets are gonna be visible this year?! I heard of the coming Ison, but that's about it. When are the best expected viewing periods overall supposed to be?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join