It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardinal O'Brien Sorry for Sexual Misconduct

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcutler12888
reply to post by silo13

Hey, silo. I think that we might have been unclear in our conversation...we were referring to this guy as a sexual predator, which is a term that applies to people who prey on adults and people who prey on children. He is in a position of power and acted sexually "inappropriate" towards his subordinates and used his power to keep the people who were casualties of his "misconduct" quiet. We weren't calling him a pedophile. Sorry if we sounded like we were going all vigilante and "hang him from a tree for being a pedophile", we probably should've been more clear about it.

I too am a victim of physical sexual and psychological abuse and it never ever ever leaves you.

Also don't apologise to Silo, it's that posters own bias, predjudice and ignorance and lack of empathy that led to the misinterpretation. I'm really disappointed because I have found myself in agreement with that member many many times from my years of lurking in the shadows. It's a disgusting post to be honest.
edit on 5-3-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

This is wandering off the topic. We are here to discuss the sexual predation of the head of the church on a number of young priests. This guy has been a crusader against homosexuality.

Who knows if or how many others were abused. The fact that he denied any accusations of improprietry completely and only admitted it once the four cases were presented to him says to me there are not only more victims, but possibly so many that he doesn't even remember most of his activities or victims.

He still has yet to show any remorse. He's thus far refused to apologise for the abuse. Apologising for offending people after being found out is not an apology for seal abuse. This is worse than a great deal of sexual harrassment in the office workplace.
edit on 5-3-2013 by merkins because: Typs

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned he needs to get on his knees and beg forgiveness from those he has hurt!
It's up to those hurt to either forgive him or not. And if by chance they have the ability to forgive him for their own way of healing I will bet they will never forget what he did. They will be effected by his actions for the rest of their lives and he needs to repent behind bars the rest of his.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I've been watching the 24 hour news channels in the UK for most of the day across 5 channels and I've not seen a single mention of this. Although I have to admit the BBC news has been guilty of masses of blatant psyops today. More than I've ever seen in one day.

I believe he was deliberately outed as part of the coup that is underway, and now that he has admitted guilt the news channels have been told to back off as it's a case of 'job done'.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Absolutely agree with you there but I also wouldn't be averse to his suicide as repentance. People don't seem to realise how this kind of thing affects someone....for life.

People are also not picking up on the fact that this guy has been one of the most vocal and vile critic of homosexuality.

Edit to add: love your avatar. It's been a tough day for me today and your av made me smile for the first time in a few days.
edit on 5-3-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

You seem to be extraordinarily fixated on homosexuality, why is that?

ETA: Apologies to merkins and the others following this thread ... but for real: just seems like whatever it is you think you see becomes a Tootsie Roll to thee.
edit on 5-3-2013 by KyrieEleison because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

I hope you don't mind that I went off the main topic to explain my thoughts on Christianity, but I am trying to account for why the Church does not take action against these men, allow them to continue their activities, publicly explain that they are forgiven and move these men to another parish.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyrieEleison
reply to post by trysts

You seem to be extraordinarily fixated on homosexuality, why is that?

The idea of Christianity is male homosexuality. And the subject of this thread is about a Cardinal's homosexual advances.
There is no reason to feel insecure about the subject of homosexuality, KyrieEleison.
edit on 5-3-2013 by trysts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Fixation != Insecurity.

At any rate, you are either unfamiliar with how power structures operate, or you specifically joined this thread to antagonize other readers.

You admit you are not a Christian, you demonstrate that you are largely ignorant about the tenets of the religion, yet you still feel the need to press on with your rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

My views on Christianity and why the Church continues to hide these men from the law are not about you or your beliefs, KyrieEleison. They are my opinion on the matter.

And you said I was "fixated" on the subject. What does that even mean? Of course I'm going to speak about male homosexuality when the subject includes it.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Well, the first step would be to learn how to differentiate between Catholicism and Christianity.

There is a significant difference, yet you seem totally oblivious to it.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The genus is Christianity, the species is Catholicism. Correct?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

If you want to know what Christianity is, you could always read the New Testament. By this I mean actually read it yourself:

No Cliff Notes versions,
or bits and pieces you heard from your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate,
or that funny, funny atheist comedian you saw once on TV...

The next step would be to do more than a cursory search on the origins and beliefs of Catholicism.

If you can get that far, you might begin to understand how very different they are.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I read the bible. I grew up going to Catholic school. I majored in philosophy in college, meaning I had to read Aquinas, Thomas, Berkeley, and Kierkegaard. Is that sufficient?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Apparently your retention is deficient, since you are asking some random guy on an internet forum to explain it to you upon demonstrating your lack of understanding.

All that other stuff is completely irrelevant - are we supposed to be impressed?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Who would be impressed with one reading famous authors and the bible? You just seemed to assume that my opinion came out of thin air, so I thought I would address your accusation of me being purely ignorant on the matter which I hold an opinion about. You're taking this way too personally. It is only my opinion on the matter.

But I should add that I believe my theory of Christianity being a male homosexual religion of submission to be correct. Until I have evidence to prove to my mind that it is incorrect.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Pointing out an error != "taking things personally"

Opinion != fact

I mean, honestly, do I really need to point these things out?

Oh yeah one more thing!!
n/m
edit on 5-3-2013 by KyrieEleison because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I have already stated that this is my view, my opinion, my theory. I have not stated it as fact. You have taken things way too personally, I believe. My comments are for the subject I'm interested in, which is why these men get away with so many crimes while being draped in the clothes of being Christians? It is not about you, KyrieEleison.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Again I invite you to direct some of your studious aptitude towards power structures, the concept of PR, and why on earth public figures would want to keep things out of the public eye - especially ones involved in stupefying hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Could you outline what it is you're speaking about? And please try to get the fact that I can read out of your response. It is no great feat.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join