It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb at Shi'ite mosque kills 45 in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Will it ever end? The fighting over there just doesn't seem to have solutions or outcomes either side would even call a win, let alone be something the world can stomach in watching it get there. Seriously, what IS "victory" in this context?

(Reuters) - A suspected suicide bomber attacked Shi'ite Muslims as they were leaving a mosque in Pakistan's commercial capital on Sunday, killing at least 45 people, in another signal Sunni militants are escalating sectarian attacks.

"It was a powerful blast on a congested Shi'ite-dominated area," senior police official Shabir Ahmad Sheikh.

Bombings targeting Shi'ites have killed nearly 200 people in the city of Quetta alone since the start of the year.

In 2012, sectarian attacks and clashes climbed by 47 percent to 208, according to the Pak Institute For Peace Studies, a prominent Pakistani think tank.
Source

Here is hoping cooler heads will eventually prevail to find a way to settle differences without the targeted killing of civilians on all sides.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Holy Shiite!!! The answer to your question unfortunately is it will never end. This kind of violence has always,, and will always take place when cultures/religions disagree with each other.
edit on 3-3-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This had been going on for 1400 years. It's gotta end.

But what do they do to end it in the past? The shias under that apostate persian Khameni chosed to deflect sunni anger to shias towards the rest of mankind through his funding of terrorist Hizbollahs sent around the world to destabilise and cause mayhem which he admitted.

Shias ( minus that apostate power lusting Khameni) too are only fellow humans with freedom to worship, and do not deserve such tragedies time and time again.

The only way to end it is the observance of the rule of law. The killers, even though they had not admitted to it, had LONG been pointed at the radical sunni islamists.

Most of the rank and file basically follow orders, so who are the ones giving the orders? Most of them would be the radical seniors of the sunni communities and clerics. It is them that must either be counsel to change their ways, to follow the rule of law by vote or referendum, OR, be changed by the rule of law - charged and incarcerated for inciting murder and slaugher. It goes for both sunni and shia leaders.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'd add, for the OP context, this story doesn't seem to involve anything particularly international for forces or motivation. It's another attack in the long running sectarian (religious) infighting among the Sunni and Shiite sects.

I know it's not unprecedented. I made the mistake of suggesting that once, in a group I was in-person with. I got a rather rude and loud correction from an old Scotsman about Catholics and Protestants having a wee little disagreement over some matters in Ireland. Indeed. It happens around the world.

It just doesn't make it any more logical. It's even easier to understand between entirely foreign cultures. Islam vs. Christianity, for instance or the other way around as the case has been in different historic points.

Killing in the name of God or Allah when BOTH the attacker and victim are actually praying to the same Allah or God, as the case may be, seems a hard row to hoe though.

How exactly does one explain on Judgement Day that they bombed a House of Worship as it let out from another sect of the same Faith.....to the Big Guy who sees all man as his Children?

It's not a mushy anti-violence or even anti-war position I'm thinking from here but the name and cause it's done in. It just leaves me baffled sometimes. Power and Vanity, I get ...for this at the field command level of fighting. I just don't get how the fighters themselves can reconcile what they are about to do with who THEY fully believe they are about to meet.

edit on 3-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
They need a good friday agreement like they had in Ulster, though I don't think anyone would listen anyway which is a pity.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It won’t end until they are all dead. (or forcefully re-educated)

You may not like that world view, but the world is a cruel place, and wishing otherwise will get you nowhere.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What does this have to do with Global Financial Meltdown? I don't comprehend.

Second line.

new topics

top topics

join