It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous TB Patient Nabbed on US Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The detainee was diagnosed with XDR (Extensively Drug Resistant) Tuberculosis, after a trans-continental flight and spending time in "migrant communit[ies]." XDR TB is reported to have a 100% "kill rate" *See link below)

DHS,ICE and CDC have refused to provide details, citing "patient privacy," including whether he traveled alone.
(He took an hour flight to Brazil, and traveled by car, boat and on foot.)

He was caught crossing illegally near McAllen, and is being held in Pearsall, Texas.

The Obama administration has not yet given his relaese date; but since he committed no "crime," (except illegally entering the US) there's no reason for the administration to single him out other than his "pre-existing" medical condition, for which the PPACA will provide him lifetime coverage with no caps.

His is one of only 6 [reported cases in the US. How many people will he infect, or have already been infected, before we take a look at border saecurity in a different light?

edit on 2-3-2013 by jdub297 because: url

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Although this is something "scary" in many peoples eyes. One third of the world's population is thought to have been infected with M. tuberculosis,with new infections occurring at a rate of about one per second. So with improper treatment practices, and patients who stop taking their medications when " they feel better, " rather than when they are finished the prescription like they are told. Events like this are bound to pop up.

TB is a bacterial infection of the lungs, not a virus. The Bacteria can survive outside of a host as well as with in hosts for a very long time. This in part is why it is so important to follow treatment to the utmost detail. Many people infected by the M. TB bacteria will not exhibit symptoms for a very long time, some not at all.

TB is a high risk disease for those with compromised immune systems, especially HIV. Only about 5-10% of people who are not infected with HIV, or seriously compromised immune systems(cancer patients, other immune compromised individuals.) actually develop an infection due to M. TB. How ever, if you do have a compromised immune system your chances of developing a TB infection jump to 30% and up. So as scary as a drug resistant bacteria sounds, if your immune system is good your chances of catching this bacteria and developing Tuberculosis is actually pretty small.

Smokers do have a higher risk of contracting TB, as well as those suffering from malnutrition, or confined spaces with others that may TB for long periods of time. TB is of more concern in nations where poverty; over crowding, and malnutrition are a problem.

I wouldn't panic at this point, as cases like these have popped up in the modern world, with out a massive outbreak. This should be a lesson for all those who are prescribed medications, take them properly. Dispose of them properly, do not give others left over Anti-biotics. As well, as a motivational factor in finding new ways to treat infections. Not every illness needs anti-biotics, our bodies are capable of fighting off diseases, and unfortunately that may come with an extended period of feeling like #, but it's actually better for you in the long run.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

His is one of only 6 [reported cases in the US. How many people will he infect, or have already been infected, before we take a look at border saecurity in a different light?

edit on 2-3-2013 by jdub297 because: url

So 1 of 6 cases of XDR TB is from someone outside the country coming in and you're worried about border security??? 5 cases of XDR are likely from with in the US. I agree borders need to be handled better than they are, and likely in a completely different fashion than they currently are, but 1 case of XDR TB which likely wouldn't infect anyone who wasn't already Immune deficient wouldn't be my tag line to try to increase border standards.

How ever, what you're basically saying is all those looking to go in or out of the US will have to give hair, skin, blood and urine tests while traveling in or out of the US. I'm not sure many will enjoy, the new addition to the already intrusive TSA. TB tests are currently done either by blood serum, or skin scraping tests. Let me know when you're ready to roll up your sleeve the next time you want to take a flight, and I'll maybe consider jumping on this bandwagon.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I didn't see it in the article cited, does anyone know what he was doing here? Seems like a pretty long and convoluted journey to sneak into the country in search of a minimum wage job, or to see a long lost relative.

Bio-terrorism doesn't need any technology apart from a sick person and a plane ticket.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

There are far worse things out there that "terrorists" can infect themselves with and then spread that infection among targeted populations.

Pray they can be stopped before they do it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername
reply to post by jdub297

There are far worse things out there that "terrorists" can infect themselves with and then spread that infection among targeted populations.

Pray they can be stopped before they do it.

Anthrax would be a good one. Has a good transmission period before death, where the carrier won't exhibit symptoms but can easily spread the spores by coughing, breathing on other people. Pretty much a guaranteed kill if no one catches on they have anthrax. Once it gets to a certain point, there is no saving you. Which is pretty much once people would realize, " Man, this bad flu just won't kick." It's a sharp downhill spiral from there. Nasty stuff, not that hard to cultivate either.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

With unrestricted travel, unrestricted borders, and incomplete treatment, antibiotic-resistant TB is spreading faster than we can compensate and treat.

online.wsj.com...

When do our borders and disease prevention begin to matter more than political posturing?

jw
edit on 2-3-2013 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

How ever, what you're basically saying is all those looking to go in or out of the US will have to give hair, skin, blood and urine tests while traveling in or out of the US. I'm not sure many will enjoy, the new addition to the already intrusive TSA. TB tests are currently done either by blood serum, or skin scraping tests. Let me know when you're ready to roll up your sleeve the next time you want to take a flight, and I'll maybe consider jumping on this bandwagon.

Hopelessly misinformed and obviously biased, you either didn't read the post or you've made-up your own agenda.
I've said nothing about testing people traveling out of the US.
Immigrants are already subject to testing; but you either chose not to mention this or are purposefully ignorant of basic facts that contradict your preconceptions.
www.uscis.gov... d=288a0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Moreover, TB is an opportunistic infection, but does not require a host with a compromised immune system, any healthy person will do just fine.

Drug-susceptible TB and MDR-TB are spread the same way. TB germs are put into the air when a person with TB disease of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, speaks, or sings. These germs can float in the air for several hours, depending on the environment. Persons who breathe in the air containing these TB germs can become infected.

blogs.msf.org...

If you're so confident in your immunity, why don't you volunteer to sponsor a handful of immigrants during their treatment? Or, you could visit Nepal and other hotspots and offer your brilliant medical and social insight.

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

TB tests are currently done either by blood serum, or skin scraping tests.

Wrong again!

TB "tine tests" were routinely conducted for many citizens who will be in close contact with others, including food servive workers and health care providers, the newer "Mantoux" or PPD test.

They are still required of a large number of students and workers in various fields or with various histories, including Medical School, Nursing School, Dental School, School of Social Work, corticosteroids treatment, HIV Positive, had a serious medical condition, have or had cancer, diabetes; volunteer work in hospitals, prisons, homeless or with refugees.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
I didn't see it in the article cited, does anyone know what he was doing here? Seems like a pretty long and convoluted journey to sneak into the country in search of a minimum wage job, or to see a long lost relative.

Bio-terrorism doesn't need any technology apart from a sick person and a plane ticket.

DHS/ICE have not released any details, and he has refused all interviews.

I don't know what motivated his trek, but one consequence is top-notch treatment, housing and travel at US taxpayer expense.

jw

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Might want to add a little more tinfoil to your hat. I'm out.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Well wouldn't it suck if this strain makes its way through the homeless population. They would effectively spread it around......but personally not worried about this quite yet, lets see a few more cases first.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Well wouldn't it suck if this strain makes its way through the homeless population. They would effectively spread it around......but personally not worried about this quite yet, lets see a few more cases first.

Here they come:

The Homeland Security Department released from its jails more than 2,000 illegal immigrants facing deportation in recent weeks due to looming budget cuts and planned to release 3,000 more during March, The Associated Press has learned.

The newly disclosed figures, cited in internal budget documents reviewed by the AP, are significantly higher than the "few hundred" illegal immigrants the Obama administration acknowledged this week had been released under the budget-savings process.

www.miamiherald.com...

No "tin-foil hat" needed to recognize an XDR TB carrier traveling via plane, car, boat taxi and taking refuge in "migrant camps" poses an unusually dangerous threat to public health. Or that the current administration places more value on political expedience than public ssafety and national security.

jw

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
Might want to add a little more tinfoil to your hat. I'm out.

Adios, Jay Carney.

When you can't deny the facts, denigrate the messenger, and run away.

You cannot deny that XDR TB is already present in the US, that ordinary TB is on the rise, and that ordinary TB, ineffectively treated, WILL mutate to a more drug-resistant type.
L.A. Hunts for 300 Missing Tuberculosis Cases

TB rises in UK and London

jw

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i have to say WOW they actually caught a TB person.

i have heard about one case where all they did was have their doctor (a relative), falsify records to show the kid did not have TB. as far as i know this kid has been living in the states for a few years now. but hey the father is an american citizen and so the child is as well. and where there is one that did it you can be sure there are many others.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

The "kid" was actually Atlanta attorney John Speaker, who traveled to Europe for his wedding and honeymoon.
Plane passengers sue TB patient

abcnews.go.com...

Although the CDC was aware of his diagnosis and plans, it did nothing to stop him from traveling abroad; contrary to some low-information members' misnformed rants.

jw

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I would have to think if the US Gov was ever actually interested in protecting our borders they would have built something like the Berlin wall and use our National Guard etc to patrol it. Lord knows they have spent more money to date than that would have cost. Its always been just a matter of time before another bacterial plague steps up and wipes out large chunks of the worlds population. That is something we will never be able to completely avoid.

edit on 5-3-2013 by Candycab because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Candycab
reply to post by jdub297

I would have to think if the US Gov was ever actually interested in protecting our borders they would have built something like the Berlin wall and use our National Guard etc to patrol it.

Um... the Berlin Wall was about 100 miles long. The US/Mexico border is almost 2,000 miles long, and the US/Canadian border is over 5,500 miles long, so such a suggestion is absolutely impractical.

Never mind that people just dig tunnels under the border already, and there are thousands of miles of coastline that one can swim or take a boat to.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You make some good, points for sure but building an impassible well manned barrier is a good place to start imho. The reality is you will never stop everyone who is willing to go to extremes but just letting people wonder right in with no deterrents then playing cat and mouse games with them because the border is so long etc is nothing but a copout in dealing with the problem. This much like the great wall of china would work much better than what we are doing now. The government throws so much money into so many impractical things now why not give something like this a try ? Not like it would add anything sizable to our national debt.

Obviously it will never happen since the government isn't even interested in the idea of any sort of fence any longer.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join