It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake panhandler makes $100,000 a year. Scumbag or good businessman?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
He really is in a wheelchair from an accident in a motorcycle (that he was well compensated for) but, the rest is just an act; he has no mental disability and travels from town to town panhandling till he gets caught and outed for the fake that he is, at which point, he moves on.

Fake panhandler says he suckers people for $100K in donations a year

Gary Thompson just made life harder for panhandlers. The Lexington, Ky., man is an alleged scammer, playing to the heartstrings of would-be do-gooders who can’t resist his act — that of a wheelchair-bound man with a mental disability. How good is he? He boasts he can make up to $100,000 a year. Thompson was "busted" by a TV station Monday shortly after police warned the public about his alleged scam. During a surreal nearly-nine-minute interview, Thompson fessed up, that aside from some difficulty walking due to a past motorcycle accident, he's physically healthy and mentally sharp; he has a college degree in speech pathology. Thompson admitted "he's really good" at gaming people and bragged about his con artist ways, declaring himself "the best in Lex."

MSN

Other source: Alleged Lexington Scam Artist Caught In The Act By LEX 18 Reporter

Me, I say more power to him.

It seems he's found a good use for his college degree and I really don't think he's hurting anyone. The people who give him money do it freely of their own good will and probably feel like they've done something really special after helping him out. Sure, it may be deceitful to pretend to be mentally handicapped to win people's sympathies but, how is this any different from the deceitful advertizing we see on TV every day telling us to use this drug, eat Monsanto foods or buy the latest, cool gadget?

edit on 3/1/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
At least he gets out of the house and works for it? I mean its a way of working for it. Unlike most of those on welfare, or ssi, or whatever else who just take handouts and work under the table.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

People assume... That's the problem for what are the first 3 letters in Assume? That's what it makes you, when people think the homeless don't make any money. On average give or take the right corner and people circulating through a homeless person in one day can make 100-300 US Greenback~ WOW for looking pathetic and fighting the other homeless man for the spot (guess that's why they are territorial) there not so stupid now are they?

Not the first time I heard of this happening. Happened in Chicago at least 1 time I can recall where the man was tracked back to his Mercedes parked under a bridge.

Is it wrong? Well I guess he lied and someone who thought he was a legitamate handicaped homless person wanted to help. I would be a little salty that I was lied to like that... But it's a daily occurance with the POTUS and any other politician so..... Meh.... I can't really say..... Still the Assume thing was pretty good huh??? ^_^

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Using others emotions and mind to make you money? wow sounds like all the other wealthy people in america. Control their minds and you control them.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
When I was homeless, I thought about doing this. But it just isn't right. I cannot believe the people who support this and say he "works" for it. He does not work for it. He works AT it. He does nothing of value for the people who give him the money. If I saw him go in and out of his act, I would deliver a beat down upon him.
edit on 3-1-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for spelling.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
. You have no idea the damage this is doing. The guy ought to get his head cracked open by a real homeless person.

What damage is he doing? Please explain to me how he's doing damage to society or even the people who give him money.

Sure, he may be taking a little away from real homeless people but, if they don't have the get-up-and-go to get out on the street corners and beg for themselves, what right do they have to complain?

From what I understand, panhandlers can make good money and even support good sized families doing what they do. Most other homeless are content to sit it our in shelters, feeling sorry for themselves while living off the public dole whenever they can. This guy and folks like him actually get out there and work for their money. Sure, its not work like anything we are accustomed to but, at least he's doing something to provide a good life for himself.

How is what he does any different from people who perform street theatre or play an instrument on the sidewalk in the hope that someone will throw a little change their way? He's a preformer who is able to give people the illusion that they are contributing to the welfare of someone in need. He gives people the feeling that they helped out the less fortunate.

Who's to say that people, after feeling good after helping him out won't feel inspired to do other good acts like helping out at a soup kitchen or giving to other homeless people?

In the end, I think this guy does more good than harm.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
not sure why this guy would fit into the category of scumbag really.. i mean "government officials" have been and will continue doing this sort of thing since its inception. lying, cheating, stealing.. ect.. it's how businesses flourish.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The difference between this guy and our government is this guy was rollin' solo.

I don't advocate scamming people but this guy was utilizing his skills at least, creatively.

I may be hated for the comment above, but I don't care.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You are part of the sickness in our culture. You think it's okay to lie and to deceive people? You think that's being a man? More power to him? You cynical prick. You have no idea the damage this is doing. The guy ought to get his head cracked open by a real homeless person.

Hey Steve, I dare you to voice your heart-breaking concerns to your government, whom rob you off whenever they want to in front of your face without a question. They are doing FAR more damage to you and I and the rest of the country than this guy can ever do.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't condone the guy's actions, but they are no different than that of any other panhandler. All of them misrepresent their cause, and misrepresent what they are using the money for.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
when I lived in ft lauderdale, on the side of one of the exits was this guy in a wheelchair holding a sign saying he was a homeless and disabled vet and needed help. Fortunately, I was driving an ambulance at the time and was heading to the hospital with a patient or i would have given him $20.00, I try to help out my fellow vets.
That same day, taking the same route to the same hospital, I saw the guy PUSHING the wheelchair down the road. Needless to say, it made my blood BOIL to see a scammer like that.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The "homeless vet" thing is always a scam, every time. There is no such thing as a homeless vet. If they were real vets they would have VA benefits, as well as the GI bill for school, and a resume with at least 4 years of work experience that can get them at least a non-trivial job somewhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
these stories pop up from time to time. there was a woman in NYC when I worked there who had a little dog in her act. others tipped me off to her so I watched her a few times on my walk to get coffee. I asked her straight out if she was faking it, her smirk gave it away

probably happens in every city every day

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'd put what he is doing at about the same level as someone that smacks a guy in a wheelchair upside the head.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
The "homeless vet" thing is always a scam, every time. There is no such thing as a homeless vet. If they were real vets they would have VA benefits, as well as the GI bill for school, and a resume with at least 4 years of work experience that can get them at least a non-trivial job somewhere.

That is not true. As I vet myself I know plenty of homeless vets, who do use the VA. The VA does not supply housing, and how do you use the GI Bill, and go to school, if you're homeless?

23% of homeless population are veterans
33% of male homeless population are veterans
47% Vietnam Era
17% post-Vietnam
15% pre-Vietnam
67% served three or more years
33% stationed in war zone
25% have used VA Homeless Services
85% completed high school/GED, compared to 56% of non-veterans
89% received Honorable Discharge
79% reside in central cities
16% reside in suburban areas
5% reside in rural areas
76% experience alcohol, drug, or mental health problems
46% white males compared to 34% non-veterans
46% age 45 or older compared to 20% non-veterans

www.nationalhomeless.org...

Also pan handlers, at least in the city I live, do not make a lot of money. I have homeless friends who pan handle, and some days they make nothing at all. They're lucky if they make $10 after a day of pan handling. I don't believe this guy makes 100,000 a year. That is almost $300 a day. If he does then he definitely does not represent the normal. The majority of these pan handling stories are complete BS.

edit on 3/1/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

"Experience alcohol problems?" Wtf does that mean? Like it's not a choice to waste all your money on alcohol? Okay, I guess tonight I'm not going to choose to go out and drink, I'm just going to go "experience an alcohol problem." Maybe I'll experience a shoplifting problem too. Come to think of it, the other day I experienced a speeding problem. Got a ticket though; that's not fair right? I guess I'll have to tell the judge I was just a victim of circumstance or whatever BS people are saying these days to deny responsibility for their actions.

Sarcasm aside, this right here is the problem. Three quarters of homeless vets chose to abuse alcohol instead of being prudent with their financial resources.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

"Experience alcohol problems?" Wtf does that mean? Like it's not a choice to waste all your money on alcohol? Okay, I guess tonight I'm not going to choose to go out and drink, I'm just going to go "experience an alcohol problem." Maybe I'll experience a shoplifting problem too. Come to think of it, the other day I experienced a speeding problem. Got a ticket though; that's not fair right? I guess I'll have to tell the judge I was just a victim of circumstance or whatever BS people are saying these days to deny responsibility for their actions.

Sarcasm aside, this right here is the problem. Three quarters of homeless vets chose to abuse alcohol instead of being prudent with their financial resources.

You seem to have no clue what an Alcohol problem is. If you go out and buy a $10 bottle of wine every other week and the chug it, you have an Alcohol problem. The term doesn't mean that you spend all of your money on booze.

Homeless vets with an Alcohol or Drug problem usually have a mental problem as well. Also, it never said 3/4's of Vets have an Alcohol problem.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sadly this is not a new scam, and may have been pulled off better by others. I remember watching a Sherlock Holmes episode on PBS years ago that had this same thing as the central plot.

Here is an interesting story of a woman who brought the art to a new height:

Shaky Lady1

Shaky Lady 2

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
People willingly give him money on their own accord. What is the problem?
How much did steve jobs make selling fisher price toys and calling them computers?

The man goes out and does something for the cash, he could just sit at home and get fat on that government cheese

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join