It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add British Taco Bells to the Horse Meat scandal.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I am using my head. Unfortunately I only have what I've seen and heard to go on, as have you. As I said, as I understand it, these meats are all sourced from the same supplier or group of suppliers. Ergo, the same quality of care and hygene, if you get my drift. Of course if the meats are being sourced externally, then no one can say for sure what sort of state the point of origin might be in. But then that would apply to ALL meat products from that facility. If this is the case, then the beef may be of just poor standard as the horse, or any other meat for that matter. Or are you saying it's only the horse meat that is known to be substandard. Id like to see evidence of this. If you are saying the beef is higher standard than the horse, please show this also.

Sorry but IF the horse meat is of the same standard and quality as the beef, then the only real argument you have left is the fraud. Which was my original question/point.

Boohooing about getting horsemeat is fine if you can show the horsemeat is of inferior quality relative to the other ingredients. Otherwise your just whining about a bit of crap stuffed in with a load of other crap. Point being, it's all crap. The fact it contains horse is unlikely to make it any worse or any better as far as the end product goes.

edit on 1-3-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by threewisemonkeys

As I stated previously, the fraud part aside, unless one is willing to show that ANY meat is a lesser quality, then your objection is nothing more than your conditioning coming through. It's ok, it's to be expected and quite normal. Perhaps horses require less "care" than beef cattle? Perhaps the price of meats such as chicken, beef, pork and lamb have been so artificially inflated in recent years that it's no longer viable to produce and only exists due mostly government subsides and intensive farming.

Why characterize objections at all?? As it happens, you didn't really come close. I've ridden horses and I've been around them. On my wife's side in Montana, horses are seen as work animals and more but not dinner. It's cultural and personal, not 'conditioning'. Squirrel is also decent eating, I've heard. My one attempt at that didn't end well...but that's another story. Even Rabbit is said to be edible. (horrified gasp). There are a large number of animals I know others find tasty that I don't. I really don't see why anyone ought to think putting meat in that isn't known to the customer is anything but wrong. On any level.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
horses are seen as work animals and more but not dinner. It's cultural and personal, not 'conditioning'.

I meant no offence by my use of the word conditioning but that is exactly what you just described. If you are in any doubt, look in a dictionary.

conditioning present participle of con·di·tion (Verb)

Verb

1.Have a significant influence on or determine (the manner or outcome of something).
2.Train or accustom (someone or something) to behave in a certain way or to accept certain circumstances.

The fact you took offence is part of your conditioning. Just the way people are. Quite simple really.
edit on 1-3-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Taco Bell customers are not starving when they walk in the door.

Speak for yourself. Once I smell that food I am straving

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ahhhh Horse meat....good quality red meat, no fat, pure protein and at a cheap price...why is eveyone getting so antsy about this.....??? It's Horse meat not Rat meat !!!
edit on 1-3-2013 by Nuke2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Whats the scandal...its meat and we need to eat?
I don't care if I eat a horse or a squirrel...people need to eat.
Being this fussy is just dumb.

When you are starving....you will eat anything.

Do I care that burger king meat has horse in it or taco bell does??
NO!!!

If you choose to eat there then that is your choice.
If you were starving then this thread wouldn't even exist.
Horse meat or not....you'll eat it.

If you want quality control then go get your own meat and quit choosing to eat this stuff and quit bitching about what everyone else is doing.

edit on 1-3-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

If you obey the dietary laws of scripture it makes all the difference. Scripture places meats into 2 different categories, one that God says is healthy for mankind to consume and one that God says is not healthy for mankind to consume.

Cow = clean
Horse = unclean

Without a clear accurate label, one who follows the laws of God would have a serious concern over this scandel. Now if they were replacing Cow with Lamb, I would feel as you do towards it.

God Bless,

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
reply to post by MysterX

Then what's the beef? Pardon the pun. If its a case of flat out fraud then fair enough. If it's about a bunch of NIMBYs moaning about what's acceptable meat and what's unacceptable meat, then kindly show how horse is a lesser meat than cow. Otherwise, jog on.

In my mind, it's very much a matter of both. It's fraud in that people buy a food item believing it's one thing when it's another. I don't know of any religious objections to eating horse, but it shouldn't have to come to the point of pork to Muslims or Beef to Indians to find it very objectionable to have a switch pulled.

I'm also willing to bet horse meat is considerably cheaper than beef and profit motives were stronger than anything in how this meat found it's way into a supply chain it didn't belong in.

However, personally, I don't think I should have Horse meat or ANY meat that isn't declared and understood as being a part of it, being in the food that is served.

Some Asian cultures not only see no problem with eating dog, they consider it good meat and good food. It's NOT an insult or joke to say stray dogs are ...hard to find..in some neighborhoods in the U.S.. It's a little wonder my father remarked on with the city he was a cop in ...as well as finding a bag one time full of bones someone called in, to find it was dozens of dog skeletons. Should we say Asians are wrong to eat dog? ...not really. I CAN say I don't have it served to ME without knowing about it. So what would the difference be? Horse is as objectionable to me as Dog, actually.

Horse meat is forbidden in the Old Testament Scriptures as an unclean meat.

Currently all Jews and Muslims are forbdden to eat it. Jesus Christ was forbidden to eat it while on Earth as well and He lived a perfect life.

According to the eternal commandments of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Jews, Christians and Muslims) horse meat is forbidden to be consumed.

God Bless,
edit on 1-3-2013 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
reply to post by MysterX

Then what's the beef? Pardon the pun. If its a case of flat out fraud then fair enough. If it's about a bunch of NIMBYs moaning about what's acceptable meat and what's unacceptable meat, then kindly show how horse is a lesser meat than cow. Otherwise, jog on.

In my mind, it's very much a matter of both. It's fraud in that people buy a food item believing it's one thing when it's another. I don't know of any religious objections to eating horse, but it shouldn't have to come to the point of pork to Muslims or Beef to Indians to find it very objectionable to have a switch pulled.

I'm also willing to bet horse meat is considerably cheaper than beef and profit motives were stronger than anything in how this meat found it's way into a supply chain it didn't belong in.

However, personally, I don't think I should have Horse meat or ANY meat that isn't declared and understood as being a part of it, being in the food that is served.

Some Asian cultures not only see no problem with eating dog, they consider it good meat and good food. It's NOT an insult or joke to say stray dogs are ...hard to find..in some neighborhoods in the U.S.. It's a little wonder my father remarked on with the city he was a cop in ...as well as finding a bag one time full of bones someone called in, to find it was dozens of dog skeletons. Should we say Asians are wrong to eat dog? ...not really. I CAN say I don't have it served to ME without knowing about it. So what would the difference be? Horse is as objectionable to me as Dog, actually.

Horse meat is forbidden in the Old Testament Scriptures as an unclean meat.

Currently all Jews and Muslims are forbdden to eat it. Jesus Christ was forbidden to eat it while on Earth as well and He lived a perfect life.

According to the eternal commandments of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Jews, Christians and Muslims) horse meat is forbidden to be consumed.

God Bless,
edit on 1-3-2013 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

And those of Muslim faith don't eat pig......Can you tell me the REAL reason why.?
Here is another religious stupidity, Christians were not allowed to be left handed, can you tell me why, the REAL reason why !!!???

All regious forbiddances on eating animals are based on ONE thing and ONE thing only...Can you identify that specific THIN ??

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Taco Bell in the UK is at Basildon, Essex; Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock, Essex; and Arndale Centre in Manchester.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Don't mind the horse meat, atleast they don't carry Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
My comments on this interesting issue.

There is nothing wrong with consuming horse meat, it is actually done throughout Europe in countries like France, Romania, mainly in eastern Europe. I have a friend who's Romanian and horses are an integral part of their culture.

The REAL reason these animals were unfit for consumption was they may possibly have had the anti inflammatory animal drug Bute Horsemeat and Bute Q & A

No horse that has ever received the drug, no matter how long ago, is meant to be slaughtered for meat for human consumption.

SOME, of these horses had Bute in their systems. Fact.

Now as was pointed out, animals entering our food chain must be screened and tested, its not only due diligence but to me a code of ethos and responsibility on behalf of these multi million dollar vendors selling these products. At least invest the money to make sure your customers are buying what they think they are buying and paying for.

SOME, horse contaminated with Bute has been acknowledged to have found its way into the system but the "public health risk is low", as assumed by the health departments.

The real issue here is mislabeling of products and cost cutting. Use your head, they're using horse to make a larger profit because good beef is more expensive than good horse. That's dishonest imo and if some of these companies get claims in court filed against them THAT IS THEIR FAULT, not the consumer, not the horses and not the third parties in between unless the suppliers deliberately mislabeled and deceived their customers, BUT you think they have some sort of testing AFTER purchasing bulk supplies of meat from European suppliers before allowing it into their food outlets.

Makes me think more people knew about this than is being admitted. Look to the cost cutting schemes of some Chinese businessman/criminals. We can't let it get as bad as the Chinese industry, fake walnuts, fake eggs, poisoned dog and baby food. This is a wake up call to watch what you eat, be diligent and don't invest your trust into these huge mega fast food companies, even the ones who make cheap frozen food meals.

Would I eat horse? Not the issue and yes I would. If I went into Burger King, McDonalds or Taco Bell and paid for a Beef Hamburger or a Beef Taco, that is what I'm expecting to receive. I bet if human DNA was found in there these companies would be out of business. A certain extra level of trust is needed when buying food for your consumption, more than buying other things we need like clothes and shoes etc. I think so anyway..

I would want the authenticity of my staple product in my business, constantly tested and assured it was what I said it was, my reputation is at stake BUT as I said a certain duty of care should be a "requirement" of all these companies we trust to provide us with food. This isn't something unreasonable to ask for, and as someone said, if I walk into a fast food restaurant I am not starving.

Starvation IS part of the issue though.

BECAUSE, now they are debating whether or not the food should be given to the less fortunate, the homeless and poorer people. If Bute isn't in the meat than I say sure why not but that assurance can't be given now so I conclude with NO, if its not fit for the rest of us you don't just give it to the poor. I would love to be able to feed the hungry and I guess we should give them the choice but it could be harmful to their health. Touchy issue, but relevant.

THE ISSUE is still the safety of eating the product. If Bute isn't in the carcasses and the meat WAS INTENDED for the food chain. These horses were not intended for consumption and people were PAYING for beef not horse, PERIOD.

edit on 1-3-2013 by yoursteppingonmytoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I think it's hilarious that people are upset about horse meat. When you consider the "meat" that goes into spam, hot dogs, or bologna..and people chow that garbage down daily.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The only people who are getting upset about this "scandal" have just realised they've been eating animals. It's stirred their conscience out of it's stagnant comfortable state and they don't like it one bit.
Don't worry, they'll give horse meat a name soon so you don't have to ask for a horse burger, like you do with cow burgers and pig sandwiches.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GalaxyEyes

Actully, wrong.

Ever since finding out that horsemeat is legal in the UK, and locating a butcher willing to supply it, I eat it quite happily. Same with beef, and pork.

The reason this scandal upsets me, isn't because it is horsemeat, but because its labelled as beef.

Using your argument, you'd be happy to recieve an ingot of iron, when you ordered and paid for gold, right? After all, its all metal.

No? Well why is meat different then?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Isn't this the new Taco Bell recipe from Chef Lorena Garcia? She kept turning down all those steak choices in the Taco Bell commercials. She finally felt the last one was perfect (maybe it was horse meat?)

edit on 2-3-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Ya know, if people would only get so excited about the poison that corporations are allowed to put in our foods and the poison Big Pharm puts in our medicines, maybe, JUST maybe, we might get somewhere!

I GET the fact that people thought they were buying beef and THAT I do find wrong!

What puzzles me is the outrage over eating something that WILL NOT KILL YOU OR HARM YOU, versus those who blindly and KNOWINGLY eat things that are known to be harmful for human consumption is totally mind blowing!

Perhaps humanity is due for a reset! We have proven that we are not intelligent enough to be considered not to be at the top of the food chain..........

<< 1  2   >>

join