It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love vs Tyranny

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

God DID kill Adam and Eve!

He prolonged their suffering through cursing the earth, cursing women through subservience and childbearing and forcing Adam to till the thorny ground, through the sweat of his brow.

Then he killed them!

He also allowed the rape of Eve's daughters by the "sons of God", forcing them to give birth to Nephilim.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Imagine if an army came and attacked your home town requiring that you either become a slave or die, now imagine if that army claimed to be acting out the will of god, would you believe it was right for them to do it? What if everyone in your family was killed except you, what would you think of said army?

If they were acting on the will of God then my emotions on the subject would be irrelevant wouldn't they? I would he responding based not on legality but emotion.

It's easy for you to say he wasn't a tyrant because you weren't around when he did what he did, plus you have been tricked into believing the Hebrew army was god. It wasn't gods will, it was the will of the Hebrews that killed those people.

No, it's easy for me to believe He isn't a tyrant because I believe He is sovereign over the universe. He created it, He gets to make the rules and I afford Him the right to judge rebellion and idolatry. That's why.

Power hungry people usually lie to justify what they do, in this case the Hebrews justified it by calling it god's will. It's not really that hard of a concept to grasp.

The Hebrews received the lion share of God's judgment. The bible records the history of one rebellion and judgment after another.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

God LIES again. He said on the DAY that they eat they will surely die, but they did not. It was fear-based garbage that God was speaking. Serpent was right. They didn't die, they got smarter like gods, and their eyes were opened.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Hardly. A tyrant would never exercise mercy, and there are clear examples of God's mercy in the Bible.

Not true. Tyrants are people, and as such experience all kinds of human emotions. God's tyrannical qualities don't preclude his ability to favor certain people.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

You tell me. Did God strike them dead the moment they sinned?

He prolonged their suffering through cursing the earth, cursing women through subservience and childbearing and forcing Adam to till the thorny ground, through the sweat of his brow.

That's because God is much more concerned with our character over our comfort. Much more concerned with our holiness than our happiness.

Have you ever seen what kind of human is produced who's parents gave them every wish and desire of their heart growing up without ever punishing their bad behavior? That person becomes a self-absorbed monster.

link   
reply to post by arpgme

Right! And Jesus confirms the serpent's promise, that we will not die, over and over again!

Indeed, God is a liar!

link   

How would you know it was actually god though? All you'd see was an army coming in and killing everything and everyone, then afterwards calling it god.

What if it were Muslims instead of Hebrews? What if they said what they did was the will of Allah? Would you accept it so easily then? I'm guessing you'd think they were lying, right? So why is it any different for the Hebrews?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You are most certainly commanded to "love God". Do I need to quote the scriptures to you?

Hmm, if there is one I wasn't aware of it when I decided to love Him.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

You tell me. Did God strike them dead the moment they sinned?

That's because God is much more concerned with our character over our comfort. Much more concerned with our holiness than our happiness.

You sure do take a lot of liberties puting words in God's mouth and making excuses for his behavior.

22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

^^^This was the motivating factor. Not love.

edit on 1-3-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

But he still commands it.
The only reason you love him is because you fear what he would do to you if you didn't.

1 John 4
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

edit on 1-3-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

How would you know it was actually god though? All you'd see was an army coming in and killing everything and everyone, then afterwards calling it god.

You wouldn't know.

What if it were Muslims instead of Hebrews? What if they said what they did was the will of Allah? Would you accept it so easily then? I'm guessing you'd think they were lying, right? So why is it any different for the Hebrews?

I came to faith via the Bible's detail specific prophecies. In my opinion only an Entity who exists outside the dimensionality of time can be the source of that. And to be quite honest, when I came to Christ I really didn't know much about the OT other than common Bible stories that children know and love.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You are most certainly commanded to "love God". Do I need to quote the scriptures to you?

I guess I do need to quote the scripture to you!

Matthew 22:36
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a]
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

But he still commands it.
The only reason you love him is because you fear what he would do to you if you didn't.

That doesn't apply. Why would I have fear of something I didn't believe in? If were talking about my initial act of faith.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

You sure do take a lot of liberties puting words in God's mouth and making excuses for his behavior.

Well, the OP demanded this be operated in the subjective. See page one. I'm entitled to my personal beliefs aren't I?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

What do you think Christianity would be like if the old testament was not included but only the new testament of the gospels of Jesus Christ?

I wonder how would the minds of Christians be today?

It is hard to compare Christianity to Judaism since both believe in the old testament, but what if Christians ONLY believed in the New Testament, do you think a bigger difference would be seen? Do you think that view of god would be more loving than tyrannical ?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I guess I do need to quote the scripture to you!

Matthew 22:36
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a]
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

I didn't deny it existed, I stated it had no bearing on my decision to love Him.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

What do you think Christianity would be like if the old testament was not included but only the new testament of the gospels of Jesus Christ?

Christianity began without the NT.

I wonder how would the minds of Christians be today?

Just one of less information and lack of predictive prophecies. But the Christian position is one that we didn't choose Christ, that He chose us.

It is hard to compare Christianity to Judaism since both believe in the old testament, but what if Christians ONLY believed in the New Testament, do you think a bigger difference would be seen? Do you think that view of god would be more loving than tyrannical ?

Again, that begs the question. Christians for the most part don't see God as tyrannical.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The reason you believe in him is because of the fear you have of him. Your fear of hell drives you to "love" him and to not question him. What other reason could there be to love a tyrant?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

LOL!

I think it would be more like Buddhism.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I'm entitled to my personal beliefs aren't I?

Of course!

But you're not entitled to your own facts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join