It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Forcing Women ‘To Stay in Their Homes With Their Abuser’ Because of Sequester

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here is how dumb some of Obama's marching minions really are. Clearly Rep. Edwards has taken her marching orders from the Chosen One of Pennsylvania Ave.

What in the hell are these people smoking...

Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Md.) said that if the sequester goes into effect, women who are victims of domestic violence will be “forced to stay in their homes with their abuser” at the “hands of the GOP.”

Edwards called the cuts the “Republicans failure,” and said they are “taking a sledge hammer” to the nation’s domestic violence shelters and programs

Someone get me a muzzle quickly

“The harm is real,” Edwards said. “230,000 victims will be calling crisis hotlines and those calls will go unanswered. 230,000 calls to crisis hotlines around the country.”

“So can you imagine that in the middle of the night a woman is being battered, she has her two children, she wants to get to safety, she places a phone call to a hotline and that line goes unanswered,” she said. “That’s what sequestration means to victims of domestic violence.”

“So I think that this is shameful, we all do,” Edwards said. “We also know that it can be stopped. And so here we are on a Thursday, set to go home for the weekend—first of all in America, working America doesn’t go home for the weekend on a Thursday. There’s time for us to stop this. The Republicans hold the gavel.”

“The Republicans have the ability to stop sequestration and the devastation to millions of women and children who are victims of domestic violence across this country,” she continued. “And it is really very shameful that they are going to go home this weekend without doing that.”

“And so for the women who are forced to stay in their homes with their abuser because there’s no place to go, because shelters have been cut, because hotlines go unanswered, that is on the hands of the GOP here in the House of Representatives.”
- - See more at: cnsnews.com...

Ok there you have it. They will clearly say anything just to make a point. A point that has no basis in the factual world of reality. This kind of crap pisses me off.

Get the facts straight

Edwards said $20 million in cuts will be made from programs funded by the Violence Against Women Act, as a result of the sequester.

According to the Justice Department, however, the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) operated on a budget of $412.5 million during fiscal year 2012, and has requested the same amount of funding for this fiscal year.

The sequester would amount to a 4.5 percent cut to OVW

- See more at: cnsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well you have some liberals blaming asteroids on global warming so I imagine this is only a logical next step in thier madness.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yes i am gonna go here if more women were armed there might be less abuse.

But the same people saying the gop hate women in the op are the same ones who seeks to disarm them.

edit on 28-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
They will say anything. I mean both parties. They like spending everyone else in the country's money. It's like taking the credit card from your college kid...they will cry and kick and come up with 1,001 reason why disaster will strike if they don't have that seemingly endless pool of money to exploit.

This is no different.

To both parties I say....deal with it. This is a drop in the bucket....these "reductions in spending" equate to p!ssing on a forest fire...it is not really doing anything to solve the real problem of astounding over spending and poor management of resources...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I swear you can't make this stuff up.
The ludicrous statements coming from both parties is astounding.

Everyone in congress needs to be fired for not doing the job they are sent there to do.
What the hell are we paying them to do? Not pass budgets?
They need to figure it out. We shouldn't have to pay for their political pissing contests.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Hysterics, grasping at straws.
Sigh....and some people will actually believe this!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

We should use this entire sequester fiasco as a spring board for Congressional Reform to get strict term limits at the top of the priority heap. They've known tomorrow is coming for 16 freakin' months. Imagine trying to pull of this type of BS in a typical Private sector job. I would certainly lose my job if I tried to pull this crap. Especially if I had 16 months to get the job done and never did a thing about it...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Someone should introduce Rep Donna Edwards to our 911 Emergency Call system!

I'll say it again, there is no cure for stupid!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

The GOP will be snatching babies out of mother's arms and killing the elderly in publicly assisted nursing homes next. Wait for it....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
well the way I see it is that the country is already this badly in debt that these miniscule cost saving measures aren`t going to stop or even slow down our fall into bankruptcy so why even bother with them?
The only hope we have of making any meaningful dent in the debt is by massive spending cuts and tax increases.Trying to save save nickles and dimes is a waste of time and effort, better to use that time and effort to come up with some meaning cuts and tax increases that will make a difference.If they can`t do that then we might as well just keep on with business as usual.

look at it this way, if your household budget is in shambles and you are drowning in debt is it even worth the time and effort to argue with the wife because she wants to buy the $4 nail polish instead of the $2.99 nail polish? That $1.01 isn`t going to make a bit of difference in reducing your debt.

As my grandmother says "penny wise and pound foolish" They argue,nitpick and bicker over spending the pennies but they piss away the dollars by the truckloads.

At this point does it really matter how much higher the deficit gets up to? The country will be bankrupt long before we pay it back, so we won`t have have to pay it back anyway whether it`s 5 trillion dollars or 100 trillion dollars.

edit on 28-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
victims of domestic violence will be “forced to stay in their homes with their abuser”

Accidents happen...........misplacing lit cigarette

I'm not advocating violence. I'm advocating accidents.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
So. . .

Women have to stay with their abusers

Vets can't get buried in Arlington

DHS can't keep prisoners in jail

TSA can't guard airports

Teachers will lose their jobs

Military will lose their jobs

DA civilians will lose their jobs

Border security can't guard the border

Meat won't get inspected

All because we didn't increase the spending enough.

There is so much poop coming out of DC right now that it seems that the Potomac is made from stool softener.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That's quite an amazing list of "doom" isn't it? And this is for this small percentage of reductions...amazing.

Is it just me that is puzzled at the fact that we used to do everything on that list for a whole sh!t load of less money...I mean inflation is one thing....but c'mon.

I know...they are skimming off billions to build those underground bunkers...

ETA...

If 85 billion in cuts is causing all this chaos from a 3+ trillion dollar money pit...where the hell is all the other money going? We used to do all these things for lot-lot less....something is def "funny" in these numbers and the 'supposed" impacts that 85 billion is going to cause...
edit on 2/28/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/28/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think the Sequester also causes Global Warming....
Subway Jared to gain his weight back
The Flat tire on my 1978 Gremlin
The Rust on my 1978 Gremlin
Low testosterone in Male Democrats between the ages of 24 and 77

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Ok there you have it. They will clearly say anything just to make a point. A point that has no basis in the factual world of reality. This kind of crap pisses me off.

Get the facts straight

Edwards said $20 million in cuts will be made from programs funded by the Violence Against Women Act, as a result of the sequester.

According to the Justice Department, however, the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) operated on a budget of $412.5 million during fiscal year 2012, and has requested the same amount of funding for this fiscal year.

The sequester would amount to a 4.5 percent cut to OVW

Get the facts straight? Just asking....4.5% of 412.5 million does equal $18.6 Million?

Are you upset that she rounded up to 20M?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That's funny, because most battered women and children's shelters are run by volunteers and funded by donations from individuals as well as other charity groups. If you are a victim of domestic abuse you can call the police and they will gladly take you to one if you wish to go. You don't need a federally funded hotline for that.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
These fools in Washington have got to be run out of office. And the government media with em. For pete sake the lies, rhetoric, and demgogory is approaching ludicrous speed.
edit on 28-2-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Let's play nice, guys.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join