It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African police caught on camera dragging handcuffed man behind van (Warning graphic video)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Searched didn't find it please remove if I missed in the search

Mido Macia a taxi driver was arrested for causing a traffic obstruction. He resisted the arrest and ended up handcuffed to the back of a police car and dragged for about 1/2 a kilometer behind it.

He was later found dead in his cell.

Police in South Africa have come under fire again after mobile phone footage emerged of a group of officers tying a Mozambican taxi driver they had arrested to a police van and dragging him along a road.

Mido Macia, 27, was found dead in a police cell just over two hours after he was arrested for causing a traffic obstruction.

Source
edit on Thu Feb 28 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: GRAPHIC VIDEO REMOVED

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Good Lord... What has happened in South Africa for the basic standards of life and decency among authority? Cops have their abuses, the world over...but this? THIS?! I just saw this myself at CNN and feel sick. I really feel a little dirty for just having watched it.

Last year I did a lengthy paper on the murder of James Byrd in Jasper, Texas. He was the black man dragged behind the pickup of some white racists simply because he was alone, vulnerable and black. The details were beyond sickening and necessary to learn in writing the paper. This is an EVIL way to kill someone and there IS no excuse.

These cops ought to pay with their own lives for having killed a man this way. Not vigilante...but by their own system.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was sickened by it my my morbid curiosity made me watch it.
You'd think what with shooting at miners and the whole Oscar Presorious fiasco they'd be playing nice. But no, for some people power is an excuse to abuse innocents, and nothing else.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Those "officers" need a bullet to the head, right after they are castrated and left to bleed for a while.
I truly hope they are hunted down and killed by the poor mans family. This is a brutal world and life in Africa is cheaper than most places. No excuse for what they did not at all.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Last i heard they hadn't even been arrested yet.

There's a REALLY good reason i avoid the cops around here.

SA in the news a lot lately, and NONE of it good.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Last year I did a lengthy paper on the murder of James Byrd in Jasper, Texas. He was the black man dragged behind the pickup of some white racists simply because he was alone, vulnerable and black. The details were beyond sickening and necessary to learn in writing the paper. This is an EVIL way to kill someone and there IS no excuse.

Just out of interest
What was the outcome ?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm not really seeing whats 'graphic' about it.

This is nothing compared to what else happens in SA.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

I know my wife's South African
We get weekly updates from 'home' we were thinking of retiring there in 20 or so years, we'll see how it pans out.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
I'm not really seeing whats 'graphic' about it

This is nothing compared to what else happens in SA.

There are some sensitive and young members on ATS
So I thought a warning was prudent

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Death sentence was the outcome.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Thanks

I'm not allowed to google during dinner

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Today I feel ashamed to be a South African. First the whole Oscar Pestorius debacle and now this?

I have been listening to the radio all day and I must say that the country as a whole was sickened by this.

The national police force is rotten to the core, starting right up with the heads of police. Two of which habe recently been jailed.

I'll tell you guys one thing, heads are going to roll, especially since it cast SA in such a negative light internationally. the ANC is a smart economic machine, they simply cannot afford to let this one slide.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I hope this dosen't give LAPD some new ideas.

I thought I'd seen it all. This is a blatant disregard for human life and the rule of law.

What is going on with this world?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
While finding this atrocious,i am reminded that American cops have'nt such a great track record lately.Violations like this is not exactly an everyday event here,you know.I hear weekly on this site,of gross violations,murder of citizens,like the Sunday School teacher shot 6 times.Bear in mind too that since the ANC took over in 1994,killings of cops of all races has reached gravely disturbing levels.Many were killed while they were off-duty,assassinated for being a cop.Many may be overstressed ,although certainly not an excuse.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Outcome of what? The paper or the case? The paper got me a grade I was quite happy with and the case? Well...

In September of 2011, Texas executed Lawrence Brewer, one of three men who were tried and found guilty of the racially motivated murder that left James Byrd Jr. decapitated and various parts of his body scattered throughout Huff Creek Road.

More than 13 years later, the scars remain from the hate crime that has since branded this Texas town located near the Louisiana border with a racist stigma that often overshadows its good qualities.
(Source: Youtube video library of the James Byrd murder case and aftermath)

It's a tragic thing all the way around and it really tore up the community as much as any other damage the crime did, beyond the horror of the murder itself. It was a very educational experience for me, as well. It was a BIG eye opener to how deep and how strong racism still runs on some communities across the nation. Jasper had, as I saw, some of the best people ...but also, some of the very worst humanity can produce.
edit on 28-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I cannot believe this happened in front of such a large crowd. Cameras on phones are one of the greatest inventions ever but it can only go so far.

This is just another one of the many reasons why law abiding citizens should not have their guns taken away from them. It would keep corrupt and murderous cops such as those shown in the video, in check (to a degree) which is better then nothing.

History has shown that those who are suppose to uphold the law at times take the law into their own hands and abuse the power, weeding out the honest and good from within their force. Warlords and such have risen from such systems.

A true monster/criminal is smart enough to make alliances and move up in the system to get into a position where they become untouchable. When the people have no means to defend themselves, they thus have no power prevent this, and it will only continue.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if we are being desensitized by TPTB
So we just see it as an everyday occurrence and don't bat an eyelid at it, so they'll be free to act with impunity in the future.

Not that I'm paranoid or anything

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I was hoping you would wander over and post some local perspective. The points you make are absolutely no excuse for what these cops did ...but it does add context and background I was honestly missing and wanting to get for what kind of situation in society would allow this to happen.

Of course South Africa isn't alone or even the worst in the world. Not by any means on being the worst. It's sure become a rough place for people all around though, eh? I've heard stories from others of how some of the people are killed in targeted racial killings in the rural areas and... lord... It's something I wish I hadn't even heard. One of the things I understand they do to kill in the attacks was so horrible I won't even repeat it here..but it had to do with drowning in an especially evil way. What a situation.... (sigh)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well being put in a South African jail is worse than death, so these cops should just be sent here, with this guy as a cell mate.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The points you make are absolutely no excuse for what these cops did ...but it does add context and background I was honestly missing and wanting to get for what kind of situation in society would allow this to happen.

I cannot believe this happened in front of such a large crowd

I know SA police are armed
But surely in a crowd that large it was a dangerous thing to do, I'm still amazed they weren't lynched on the spot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join