It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gilgamesh Tomb Believed Found at Uruk!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+101 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Awesome discovery at Uruk in Iraq where archeologist of the Bavarian department of Historical Monuments in Munich believe they may have found the lost tomb of King Gilgamesh, the Hero, the semi-god/human, the giant of the Sumerian oldest epic saga in history, written on a set of thousands inscribed clay tablets .
(The so called "Anu.nna.ki" saga...)

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Epic Of Gilgamesh - written by a Middle Eastern scholar 2,500 years before the birth of Christ - commemorated the life of the ruler of the city of Uruk, from which Iraq gets its name

Now, a German-led expedition has discovered what is thought to be the entire city of Uruk - including, where the Euphrates once flowed, the last resting place of its famous King.

"I don't want to say definitely it was the grave of King Gilgamesh, but it looks very similar to that described in the epic," Jorg Fassbinder, of the Bavarian department of Historical Monuments in Munich, told the BBC World Service's Science in Action programme.

In the book - actually a set of inscribed clay tablets - Gilgamesh was described as having been buried under the Euphrates, in a tomb apparently constructed when the waters of the ancient river parted following his death.

"We found just outside the city an area in the middle of the former Euphrates river the remains of such a building which could be interpreted as a burial," Mr Fassbinder said.

"The most surprising thing was that we found structures already described by Gilgamesh," Mr Fassbinder stated.

Astonishing.

Honor to the King!

edit on 28-2-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Awesome spot Arken, thanks for sharing this.

If true, quite simply the most important archeological discovery for well, quite a while. I will be awaiting further developments with some serious impatience.........
edit on 28-2-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Arken

Awesome spot Arken, thanks for sharing this.

If true, quite simply the most important archeological discovery for well, quite a while. I will be awaiting further developments with some serious impatience.........
edit on 28-2-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

Thanks Flavian. I'm really excited, by this incredible news. I really can't wait.....
I want know more and soooooooooon.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Legendary!!! So awesome! Mmmmmm so some myths were true after all??? Dun dun dun who'd a thunk?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Me too! I honestly can't wait for more info to come about this. It could open up all sorts of new knowledge about that period. Who knows, there could even be more information about the epic contained in his tomb. And, even more excitingly, maybe more info about the flood - which areas were affected and so on. Even if there is nothing like that, if it is an entire city then there could be a whole plethora of new information just waiting to be uncovered.

It is just so exciting. You can keep your Rameses, i raise you one Gilgamesh!

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
On the first picture, it looks like he's wearing a wrist watch.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
But, but, but, according to many other threads, we have already found everything that could possibly be found. That means this is impossible!!! We have looked under every mountain, every building, every parking lot. every inch of ocean has been excavated!! The learned among us say that this can not be so!! " sarcasm off" Nice find OP.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
from the link ...

Gilgamesh was believed to be two-thirds god, one-third human

this is an intresting part of the gilgamesh epic that has been picked up on .

it shows that, at that time, they had a knowledge of DNA and how it works,
(more than i do), as the mother contributes 100% to mitochondrial DNA and the uhh.. other kind of DNA is 50/ 50% between mother and father meaning that if the mother was a 'god' and the father was a man ... a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio would be close but appropriate.
kinda dumps on our patriarchal/ monotheism belief system.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Should the city be Uruk, and Gilgamesh prove a real character
It then puts a greater stamp of authenticity for the Annuaki story as well does it not?
The Sumerians didnt bull# us maybe?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I can't wait to see if he turns out to be truly a giant.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Awesome...hopefully Atlantis is next....Would love to see my archeological bucket list scratched off in my lifetime.

Des

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
You know that the religious community are going to be extremely nervous about this. That's all they need is more writings to prove the Bible was ripped off of Sumerian text.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
You know that the religious community are going to be extremely nervous about this. That's all they need is more writings to prove the Bible was ripped off of Sumerian text.

Is alredy confirmed by vatican scholars, that "Ancient Testament" is a "Mirror" of the Sumerian texts.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Nice find,is the picture part of the actual tomb or is it just a filler,next I hope they find the resting place of Nimrod.

edit on 28-2-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879
reply to post by Arken

Nice find,is the picture part of the actual tomb or is just a filler,next I hope they find the resting place of Nimrod.

The image in the Opening Post is the most famous portrait of King Gilgamesh.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Great find, Arken, and very interesting. Thanks for posting it!

The BBC story seems to be 10 years old though. I did an all-too-quick Google search to try to find more recent news, but didn't see much about what they've learned since then. Any more news?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
IF this turns out to become verifiable beyond a shadow of doubt. it certainly is a pretty significant discovery.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Should the city be Uruk, and Gilgamesh prove a real character
It then puts a greater stamp of authenticity for the Annuaki story as well does it not?
The Sumerians didnt bull# us maybe?

No. Gilgamesh was a legendary character, like King Arthur. The legend may have been based on an actual person, but the stories told about him are fantasies. If an archaeologist turned up a grave that could definitely be identified as that of Arthur, Dux Bellorum, it would not mean that Stonehenge was built by Merlin.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

You are right!

I typed "gilgamesh" on google and find this article.
I never heard of this dicovery.... It is from 2003!

A video, from 17 february 2013

No update from german archeologists?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Article is from 2003?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join