It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoa! Mutant Tadpoles Sprout Eyeballs on Their Tails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Whoa! Mutant Tadpoles Sprout Eyeballs on Their Tails

Eyes hooked up to the tail can help blinded tadpoles see, researchers say.

These findings could help guide therapies involving natural or artificial implants, scientists added.

A major roadblock when it comes to treating blindness and other sensory disorders is how much remains unknown about the nervous system and its ability to adapt to change. To learn more about the relationship between the body and the brain, researchers wanted to see how capable the brain was of interpreting sensory data from abnormal "ectopic" locations from which it normally does not receive signals.

I'll be honest at first I thought this was going to be a story about environmental pollution causing mutations but as it turns out its about helping those who are blind possibly seeing again or for those who were born blind to possibly someday see for the first time.

I thought this was interesting.

So what do you think?
Is this a viable way to test certain research on animals if it benefits humanity in the long term or do we have a right to do this sort of experimentation on another living creature?

Thoughts?
edit on 27-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
"Argh! Pooped in my eye again! I'll never get rid of this pink eye!"

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think that it could be very promising for everyone involved in medicine, from those who need to those who deliver. If only...ethics would catch up to technology. The application here looks very promising...but it sure could be adapted in some very disturbing directions without those ethics in place to mean something, eh?

Great catch tho! If our industry doesn't develop the potential, someone else will and the beneficial side will come either way.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I suppose it's easier to carry than a rear view mirror...

But seriously, that's messed up.

I wonder how long it's gonna be before humans start to mutate...seriously. I know some are born with a mutation/abnormality?...but it hasn't come so far yet as for it to be completely hereditary or as an evolutionary change.

Not yet anyway.

But then again, who says that we are not the mutations of a perfection that is lost? Maybe?

Peace

edit on 27-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I hate to say it but I think there has been research done either in military establishments or in the private sector where "Ethics" is considered nothing more than an interesting concept to briefly ponder.

imho of course....

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Remember that fourth grade teacher who seemed like she had eyes in the back of her head? Disturbing to know this could be a reality in the not-too-distant future.

Seriously though, sometimes it seems like science just does things because it can.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think this is just too wierd.I want to say more on the topic
but my brain is starting to shut down for the evening.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I was thinking the same thing about my 4th grade teacher while posting this as well.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Damn Nature, You Scary!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That"s just plain Creepy!

Really!

new topics

top topics

join