It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Matter May Not Exist At All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So this is a theory that was mentioned back in the 80's when the first proponents of dark matter came around. It didn't gain a big movement then but now is starting to pick up in some scientific circles.

Now I for one don't have all the answers to questions regarding the Universe because we are finding new and amazing things every year it seems. I for one do follow the Dark Matter theory.

Now this newier theory is called MOND.

Known as MOND, for Modified Newtonian Dynamics, it posits that dark matter’s main effect — allowing galaxies to spin faster than they should — isn’t caused by extra stuff, but instead by a change in how gravity works under certain conditions.

That underdog theory has now gotten a boost: using MOND-based models, and assuming no dark matter whatever, astronomers have successfully predicted the orbital speeds of stars in 15 faint dwarf galaxies that hover around the nearby Andromeda spiral galaxy. MOND can already explain galaxies that spin like the Milky Way — not surprisingly, since the theory was invented to do just that. But this is its first test in galaxies that aren’t spinning as a whole, but whose individual stars are instead following their own random orbits. MOND predicted how fast those stars should be moving, and, says Stacy McGaugh of Case Western Reserve University, lead author of a paper on the predictions, “It’s spot-on.”

I think this is quite intestering all in all and I wanted to see how ATS would feel about Dark Matter now being challenged.

science.time.com... gedaboudit-dark-matter-may-not-exist-at-all/?hpt=hp_c2

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Out of site, out of mind

I've never liked to believe in stuff I, (or no one else) has ever seen.
Dark matter has always been one of those things.
=not that I discount the fact that it may be there, it just irritates me on a cosmic point of view.

Great thread

edit on 26-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
There is probably something in the nothing of space. I actually think the something is called money.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

MOND was never really picked up by most scientists since it doesn't explain many observations and doesn't work as well as the theory of dark matter, even with these recent calculations it's still not as good. It's now fairly well established that some sort of invisible "dark matter" does exist in and around galaxies, our observations have made this fairly conclusive. If this theory is now starting to pick up more steam it's only because some scientists are becoming frustrated at their inability to understand or explain dark matter and they want to explain it in classical terms. Hopefully this news we are supposed to be getting about dark matter will really help "shine some light on the matter".
edit on 26/2/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I was almost ok with dark matter until they introduced dark energy. So I tried it myself, tried to pay my tuition fees with dark money.... it didnt wash very well.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad
I was almost ok with dark matter until they introduced dark energy. So I tried it myself, tried to pay my tuition fees with dark money.... it didnt wash very well.

You couldn't pay your tuition fees with a washing machine either, but that is a physical attribute of reality that has an associated value.

The more I look at how things inter act on the smallest scale, the more I wonder just how much it relates to the macro scale. We're really only capable of seeing either way to a certain extent. And whether we like it or not, that's a limitation. Everything goes on infinitely in both directions. You will never look at something small enough to see the caulk that god put in place to define the plane we exist on.

We will always be able to see something smaller, but we're limited by our own size and scope.

There are tiny tiny insects that exist that move in the air, like it is a fluid. It is viscous and sticky to them, like water to an amoeba.

You have to wonder, how a fish considers the air. Is it outer space? It will die if it enters it without a way to respire. It moves in a 3-d world where it's not limited to any direction, it's got all 3 at it's disposal - not restricted in any meaningful manner by gravity.

So to suddenly find up and down, left and right in the air-world where gravity affects up and down as any tilting axis, it must be confusing to how it perceives things.

Imagine what a fish would thinka bout space! We are the fish, entering air, when we enter space.

So what is beyond space, is somehow so foreign to us because we only perceive things as we do in our limited scope.

What makes space stick together? If we were large enough to see it, what would we see, I wonder..

edit on 27-2-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Has Dark Matter Finally Been Found? 18 Feb, 2013

Just thought I would post a link to that article after seeing this thread.

Not saying the OP is wrong. I simply remembered seeing this article is all.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
Now this newier theory is called MOND.

Known as MOND, for Modified Newtonian Dynamics, it posits that dark matter’s main effect — allowing galaxies to spin faster than they should — isn’t caused by extra stuff, but instead by a change in how gravity works under certain conditions.
MOND isn't such a new theory, and it's been almost ruled out as a complete explanation because of observations like these:

Dark Matter

In the Bullet Cluster, lensing observations show that much of the lensing mass is separated from the X-ray-emitting baryonic mass. In July 2012, lensing observations were used to identify a "filament" of dark matter between two clusters of galaxies, as cosmological simulations have predicted.
That doesn't mean we can rule out MOND completely. There could be a combination of MOND and something else going on...the article you quoted references neutrinos as a possible something else but there are problems with that idea also.

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Has Dark Matter Finally Been Found? 18 Feb, 2013

Just thought I would post a link to that article after seeing this thread.

Not saying the OP is wrong. I simply remembered seeing this article is all.
That should be interesting. If the OP article says there is no dark matter, I think that's probably wrong. But that doesn't mean MOND is completely wrong, there could be something to it, but there still has to be something else besides MOND going on to explain observations.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I dont believe in" Dark Matter"
I think the extras all can be explained by adding a doppleganger universe in a reciprocal dimension
I read about it in Superman Comics many years ago.......

top topics

join